|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The compound semiconductor market is expected to register a CAGR of 6.1% over the forecast period 2021-2026. Global adoption of smartphones has spread rapidly due to increased penetration of the internet and the availability of low-cost devices. It is subsequently driving the growth of compound semiconductors.
- Compound semiconductors are made from two or more elements of the different or same group of the periodic table. These are manufactured by using various types of deposition techniques such as chemical vapor deposition, atomic layer deposition, and others. They possess unique properties like high temperature and heat resistance, enhanced frequency, high sensitivity to magnetism, and faster operation and optoelectronic features are some of the key advantages boosting its demand. Moreover, the decrease in the manufacturing cost of compound semiconductors has increased its application in electronic and mobile devices.
- The ability of compound semiconductors to emit and sense light in the form of general lighting (LEDs) and lasers and receivers for fiber-optics is further driving the demand. As the decrease in manufacturing and installation cost of LEDs has increased its application in lamps and fixtures across all sectors. Mega-cities concentrate on investing in infrastructure development to meet the needs of the growing population, and governments are helping customers to install energy-efficient lighting sources to reduce their electricity consumption costs.
- For instance, in 2020, EESL (Energy Efficiency Services Limited) has celebrated the completion of its one-year governmental project named Unnat Jyoti Program (UJALA). Under this program, it has replaced more than 10.6 million street light bulbs with LED lights that will help to reduce 20 million tonnes of carbon dioxide and reduce the electricity cost abruptly.
- A significant impact of COVID-19 was observed initially on the compound semiconductor market as several manufacturers had to either halt the operations in the manufacturing units or they had to run the units with limited capacity. Furthermore, the supply chain disruptions due to lockdown conditions in various parts across the globe created a shortage of raw materials as well. However, with the restriction being eased out and the condition going towards normalcy, the market is expected to gain traction during the forecast period.
- Moreover, high raw material and fabrication costs associated with compound semiconductors might hamper the growth of the market; however, huge demand for electronic devices and wireless technologies and high investment by the major player to increase their production capacity to reduce its manufacturing expenses further will provide abundant opportunity.
Scope of the Report
The scope of the study of the compound semiconductor market includes the various type of compound semiconductors based on raw material and products used in LED, RF, optoelectronics, power electronics that are offered by the major vendors for a wide range of applications in industries such as telecommunications, information and communication technology, defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, healthcare, and others.
|Gallium Arsenide (GaAs)|
|Gallium Nitride (GaN)|
|Gallium phosphide (GaP)|
|Silicon Carbide (SiC)|
|Information and Communication Technology|
|Defense and Aerospace|
|Middle East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Optoelectronics will experience significant growth in the forecast period
- Optoelectronics will experience significant growth in the forecast period due to increased application in military services, telecommunications, automatic access control systems, and medical equipment. These are used in the bundle of devices, including LEDs, traffic lights, information displays, optical fibers, photodiodes, solar cells, and remote sensing systems, etc.
- The healthcare sector is utilizing fiber optics technologies in surgical instrumentation, disease treatment therapies, diagnosis and imaging equipment, and sensor-based wearable medical devices for the safety and effectiveness of the treatment. And as optical fibers are resistant to electromagnetic interference and radio frequency, they can be applied in real-time diagnostic imaging such as MRI, PET, and CT systems in the future. Many organizations and institutes are developing advanced instruments to provide effective and safe treatment for the patient.
- For instance, in July 2021, Duke University revealed that they had developed a robotic imaging tool that can automatically detect and scan a patient’s eyes for markers of different eye diseases. The new tool, which combines an imaging scanner with a robotic arm, can automatically track and image a patient’s eyes in less than a minute and produce images that are as clear as the traditional scanners in specialized eye clinics.
- Moreover, a surging number of data centers, strong federal policies like the solar investment tax credit, declining costs, and increasing demand across the private and public sector for a clean source of energy have led to the growth of solar projects worldwide. For instance, according to SEIA, in the last decade, United States has registered an average annual growth rate of 42% in the solar industry and has installed a solar capacity of nearly 100 gigawatts (GW) that is enough to power 18.9 million homes. In 2020, the solar industry generated USD 25 billion of private investment in the American economy, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA).
- Furthermore, the future foresees an augmented application of optoelectronic devices in the telecommunication industry, which will create abundant opportunities for optoelectronics.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific to Witness Significant Growth
- The Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the compound semiconductor market during the forecast period as the majority of market vendors are based out of South Korea, China, and Taiwan. Also, the region has a large number of raw material suppliers in addition to low labor costs.
- Radar, electronic warfare (EW), and communication systems are increasingly leveraging gallium nitride (GaN) technology in the defense sector to meet stringent high-performance, high-power, and long-life cycle demands and thus replacing laterally diffused MOSFET (LDMOS) components. For instance, China has replaced the Travelling Wave Tubes (TWT) with smaller solid-state systems as it delivers higher performance and scalability in radar systems.
- Moreover, the Asian countries are spending enormously on the defense sector to upgrade their equipment with advanced and efficient technology. For instance, China’s proposed budget for 2020 totals USD 718 billion, the largest annual amount requested over the five-year period, and is slightly lesser than that of the United States (USD 750 billion).
- The increase in industrial automation has gained the adoption of computers and machines for the effective and efficient control of systems. Compound semiconductor devices play a key role in ensuring efficient power consumption within the reduced size of application since they can withstand elevated temperatures and voltages, also making them an ideal component.
- Moreover, during COVID-19, most of the countries are employing robots to fight the pandemic. Disinfection robot UVD has been in high demand since the outbreak. Chinese hospitals have ordered more than 2,000 UVD robots from Blue Ocean Robotics. Such trends are expected to drive further the growth of the market studied in the Asia Pacific region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The compound semiconductor market is highly competitive and is dominated by several major players like Broadcom, Skyworks Solutions, Cree, Qorvo, Analog Devices, OSRAM, GaN Systems, Skyworks Solution, and Infineon Technologies. These major players with a prominent share in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These companies leverage strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and increase their profitability. However, with technological advancements and product innovations, mid-size to smaller companies are increasing their market presence by securing new contracts and by tapping new markets.
- September 2021 - Infineon Technologies AG and Panasonic Corporation signed an agreement for the joint development and production of the second generation (Gen2) of their proven gallium nitride (GaN) technology, offering higher efficiency and power density levels. In accordance with market requirements, Gen2 will be developed as 650 V GaN HEMT. The devices will allow for ease of use and provide an improved price-performance ratio, targeting, amongst others, high- and low-power.
- July 2021 - STMicroelectronics announced that it manufactured the first 200mm (8-inch) Silicon-Carbide (SiC) bulk wafers for prototyping next-generation power devices from its facility in Norrköping, Sweden. The transition to 200mm SiC wafers marks an important milestone in the capacity build-up for ST’s customer programs in automotive and industrial sectors and will consolidate ST’s lead in the disruptive semiconductor technology that allows for smaller, lighter, and more efficient power electronics with a lower total cost of ownership.
- Sep 2020 - NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced the opening of its 150 mm (6-inch) R.F. Gallium Nitride (GaN) fab in Chandler, Arizona, which is among the most advanced fab dedicated to 5G R.F. power amplifiers in the United States.
- June 2021 - Texas Instruments Incorporated announced that it signed an agreement to acquire Micron Technology’s 300-mm semiconductor factory in Lehi, Utah, for USD 900 million. The Lehi fab will be T.I.’s fourth 300-mm fab, joining DMOS6, RFAB1, and soon-to-be-completed RFAB2 in T.I.’s wafer fab manufacturing operations. The investment will strengthen its competitive advantage in manufacturing and technology.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Rise in demand for electronic and mobile devices
4.3.2 Increase in industrial automation
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 High raw material and fabrication costs
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Gallium Arsenide (GaAs)
5.1.2 Gallium Nitride (GaN)
5.1.3 Gallium phosphide (GaP)
5.1.4 Silicon Carbide (SiC)
5.2 By Product
5.2.4 Power Electronic
5.2.5 Other Products
5.3 By Application
5.3.2 Information and Communication Technology
5.3.3 Defense and Aerospace
5.3.4 Consumer electronics
5.3.7 Other Applications
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Skyworks Solutions
6.1.2 Wolfspeed Inc.
6.1.3 Qorvo Inc.
6.1.4 Analog Devices Inc.
6.1.5 OSRAM GmbH
6.1.6 GaN Systems
6.1.7 Infineon Technologies
6.1.8 NXP Semiconductors
6.1.9 Advanced Wireless Semiconductor
6.1.10 ST Microelectronics
6.1.11 Texas Instruments
6.1.12 Microsemi Corporation
6.1.13 WIN Semiconductors
6.1.14 On Semiconductor
6.1.15 Mitsubishi Electric
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Compound Semiconductor Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Compound Semiconductor Market?
The Compound Semiconductor Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.1% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Compound Semiconductor Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Compound Semiconductor Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Compound Semiconductor Market?
ST Microelectronics, Texas Instruments, WIN Semiconductors, On Semiconductor, NXP Semiconductors are the major companies operating in Compound Semiconductor Market.