|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Cling Films Market size was valued at USD 10,608.75 million in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.84% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market is not much negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. Moreover, the demand for packaging has been increased from different end-user sectors, including food and beverage, healthcare, and consumer goods, and others, as people are preferring to buy food and daily consumer goods from their homes only through online modes. Additionally, for better safety for the food products and others, various cling films are being used. Thereby, owing to an increase in these packaging, the demand for the cling films market has increased.
- Over the medium term, the increasing demand for hygienic food packaging and increasing preference for packaged food is also likely to boost demand during the forecast period.
- However, low resistance to extreme weather conditions is likely to restrain the market growth.
- The application of bio-based cling films for sustainable food packaging is likely to act as an opportunity for market growth in the future.
- Europe dominated the global market. However, Asia-Pacific is likely to witness the highest growth rate during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Cling film (plastic wrap or food wrap or saran wrap or stretch film) is a thin transparent plastic film that adheres to surfaces and to itself, used for packaging food items in containers. Cling films are high-quality food wrap films, which prevent food from insects and microbial contamination, dust, keep it fresh, and also minimize the risk of wastage of food by increasing its shelf life. The cling films market is segmented by material type, form, end-user industry, and geography. By material type, the market is segmented into Polyethylene, Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene, PVC, PVDC, and Other Material Types. By form, the market is segmented into Cast Cling Film and Blow Cling Film. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into Food, Healthcare, Consumer Goods, Industrial, and Other End-user Industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the cling films market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Biaxially Oriented PolyPropylene|
|Other Material Types|
|Cast Cling Film|
|Blow Cling Film|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Food Segment to Dominate the Market
- Cling film (plastic wrap or food wrap or saran wrap or stretch film) is a thin transparent plastic film that adheres to surfaces and to itself, used for packaging food items in containers.
- Cling films are high-quality food wrap films, which prevent food from insects and microbial contamination, dust, keep it fresh, and also minimize the risk of wastage of food by increasing its shelf life.
- PVC cling films represent a sustainable choice for fresh food packaging and minimizing food waste, mainly at consumer and retail levels, where main losses occur in developed countries.
- The relationship between the food and contact with the packaging material contributes to the changes that can occur over time in food products. High levels of chemicals can leach into food from the cardboard used in cereal and pizza boxes and can contaminate food as recently found out by the research studies.
- Natural polymer-based cling films for food packaging can replace the non-biodegradable petroleum-based synthetic polymers at a low cost, thereby, producing a positive effect both environmentally and economically.
- LDPE has good chemical resistance, high impact strength, strong wear absorption, and has applications in plastic films, such as those that wrap commercial baked goods and meat, and six-pack rings.
- Food and drink is the largest manufacturing industry in Europe. In Europe, around 8 million ton of plastic was used for food and drink packaging in 2019 and is expected to rise in the coming years, owing to the increase in the market value of the food and beverages industry in the European region. For instance, the food and beverage industry was valued at USD 20,210 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 27,188 million by 2025, registering a CAGR of about 6%, thereby it is expected to enhance the demand for food and beverages packaging in the European region through the years to come.
- According to FoodDrinkEurope, in Q3 2020, the European Union’s (EU-27’s) food and drink industry production increased by 8.2% compared to the previous quarter and decreased by 0.4% annual basis compared to Q3 2019. Furthermore, the industry turnover increased by 5.9% compared to the previous quarter and decreased by 1.1% annually compared to Q3 2019.
- Most of the demand for packaging in the United Kingdom is from the food and beverage industry. The country’s bakery sector is growing with about 350 medium-sized bakeries and 150 large plant bakeries, which is strongly driving the sales of packaged products to cater to the rising trend in the country.
- Moreover, the demand for the product in food packaging in the pandemic (COVID-19) situation has increased. Due to the social distancing policies, the online ordering of foods from the restaurants and the demand for pre-cooked food have increased the demand for packaged food, which has parallelly balanced the growth of the market studied.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market Growth
- Asia-Pacific is likely to witness the highest growth demand for cling films, owing to their increasing usage in food packaging, healthcare, and consumer goods sector of emerging economies, including China, India, and Japan.
- China has one of the major food industries across the globe. The growing population and the average per capita consumption are major drivers for the growth of the food market in the country.
- China's major food processing companies recorded combined profits of CNY 535.96 billion, generating about USD 82.92 billion in the first 11 months of 2020, up by 6.8% year on year. In the beverage industry, the consumption trend of healthy, natural, and convenient ready-to-drink smoothies, juices, and yogurts is emerging.
- Moreover, the Chinese healthcare industry is the second largest industry globally after the United States. It registered a revenue of USD 1.1 trillion in 2019. China is expected to have 25% of the global healthcare industry revenue share by 2030. This is expected to increase the demand for cling films in medical applications.
- The medical device market in China is one of the fastest-growing market sectors. The number of private hospitals in the country is less. The procurement of healthcare products is majorly driven by large public hospitals, which led to the increasing usage of cling films in packaging medical devices. This factor is also driving the market demand.
- Additionally, the packaging industry in China is expected to register tremendous growth, with a CAGR of nearly 6.8% to reach CNY 2 trillion by 2025. This positive momentum in the packaging industry is further expected to ignite the market demand for cling films in the country.
- Furthermore, in India, the government is taking measures to boost the investment in its food processing industry. The government sanctioned about 39 Mega Food Parks (MFPs) to be set up under the Mega Food Park scheme. Among these, only 18 MFPs became operational, while the others are under development. The food processing industry is expected to potentially attract an investment of around USD 33 billion by 2024. This is also expected to drive the demand for packaging and, in turn, enhance the demand for cling films in the country.
- Additionally, due to the outbreak of COVID-19, the usage of cling films as disposable hand covers, mobile cover applications, and others has been increased, thereby driving the market demand.
- Hence, all such scenarios in the end-user industries are expected to influence the consumption of cling films in the region over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global cling films market is fragmented in nature, with cut-throat competition among major players to increase their share in the market studied. Some of the key players in the market studied include Berry Global Inc., Amcor plc, Sigma Plastics Group, Inteplast Group, and Jindal Poly Films Limited, among others.
- In June 2021, Amcor plc has announced the installation of a seven-layer blown film line, through its Flexibles North American business. Moreover, the new machine will produce AmPrima PE Plus ultra-clear and heat resistance films.
- In April 2021, Berry Global Inc. has announced to invest over USD 70 million to expand its capacity for consumer packaging films in North America, such that to support continued growth in consumer packaging films, primarily for e-commerce, food, and beverage applications. Moreover, the investment supports new multi-layer blown film lines along with infrastructure upgrades and other equipment that will come online in 2021 and 2022, across multiple sites in the North American manufacturing system.
- In April 2020, Berry Global invested in increasing the production capacity of ultra-high performance (UHP) machines and hand stretch films. The company invested approximately USD 30 million to increase production capacity in nine of the company’s North American locations that currently manufacture stretch films.
- In February 2020, Novamont launched its MATER-BI bioplastic cling film. It can be used with most packaging machines.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Hygienic Food Packaging
4.1.2 increasing Preference for Packaged Food
4.2.1 Low Resistance to Extreme Weather Conditions
4.2.2 Global Regulations
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Material Type
5.1.2 Biaxially Oriented PolyPropylene
5.1.5 Other Material Types
5.2.1 Cast Cling Film
5.2.2 Blow Cling Film
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Consumer Goods
5.3.5 Other End-user Industries
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 ASEAN Countries
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of the Europe
5.4.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 ADEX S.r.l.
6.4.3 Alliance Plastics
6.4.4 All American Poly
6.4.5 Amcor PLC
6.4.6 Anchor Packaging
6.4.7 Berry Global Inc.
6.4.8 Deriblok S.p.a.
6.4.9 HIPAC S.p.A.
6.4.10 Inteplast Group
6.4.11 Intertape Polymer
6.4.12 ITS B.V.
6.4.13 Jindal Poly Films
6.4.15 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
6.4.16 Nan Ya Plastics Corporation
6.4.18 Paragon Films
6.4.19 Sigma Plastics
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Application of Bio-Based Cling Films for Sustainable Food Packaging
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Cling Films Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Cling Films Market?
The Cling Films Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.84% over the next 5 years.
What is Cling Films Market size in 2016?
The Cling Films Market is valued at 10608 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Cling Films Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Cling Films Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Cling Films Market?
Berry Global Inc., Amcor plc, Sigma Plastics Group, Inteplast Group, Jindal Poly Films Limited are the major companies operating in Cling Films Market.