Cardiovascular Drugs Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Cardiovascular Drugs Market Analysis
The cardiovascular drugs market is expected to witness growth significantly at a CAGR of 3.8% during the forecast period.
- The COVID-19 pandemic affected healthcare systems globally and resulted in the interruption of usual care in many healthcare facilities, exposing vulnerable patients with cardiovascular diseases to significant risks. However, the demand for cardiovascular drugs increased during the pandemic owing to the increased risk of infection among cardiovascular diseases (CVDs). Several research also suggested the efficiency of cardiovascular drugs among COVID-19-infected patients. For instance, as per a research article published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology in June 2021, the relationship between COVID-19 and cardiovascular drugs is important because patients who are more likely to contract SARS-CoV-2 infection may be taking cardiovascular medications which may lessen the cardiovascular damage brought on by COVID-19. In addition, as per the researchers of the study mentioned above, cardiovascular medications like Angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs) or Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs) may directly contribute to COVID-19 pathology and alleviate the cardiovascular injury caused by COVID-19. Such research supporting the use of cardiovascular drugs among COVID-19 patients generated a demand for cardiovascular drugs. Thus, the pandemic showed a considerable impact on the market studied, and it is anticipated to fuel the growth of the market studied during the forecast period.
- The rising prevalence of CVDs globally, growing research and development (R&D) investments in efficient drug development, and increasing availability of reimbursement policies are the major factors that contribute to the market growth over the forecast period.
- The number of patients with CVDs is rising and has become a public health concern worldwide. For instance, as per a press release published by Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH in August 2021, nearly 60 million people or more people worldwide were affected by the chronic, disabling cardio-renal-metabolic illness known as heart failure in the previous year. Additionally, as per the data released by the American College of Cardiology in December 2022, CVDs remained the major cause of mortality, and in 2021, they accounted for 185 million disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) globally. Thus, new therapy alternatives are urgently needed to control the high burden of this disease. This is predicted to drive demand for the availability of new cardiovascular drugs available globally and fuel the studied market growth.
- Furthermore, the increasing number of admissions in hospitals, as well as in critical care units owing to CVDs, are also creating demand for the development of cardiovascular drugs for treatment. For instance, as per data released by the British Heart Foundation (BHF) in April 2023, nearly 11,39,140 inpatient admissions for heart and circulatory diseases were there in the National Health Service hospitals in the United Kingdom, among which 2,73,991 admissions were for coronary heart disease, and 1,14,452 number of admissions were there for heart failure during 2021-2022 period. Hence, these CVD-related hospital admissions fueled the need for the availability of cardiovascular drugs for treatment, and this is expected to drive the growth of the market studied over the analysis period.
- Moreover, frequent product approvals are also expected to contribute to the market growth globally. For instance, in February 2022, the FDA expanded its approval of empagliflozin (Jardiance) for use in adults with heart failure (HF), regardless of ejection fraction, to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death and HF hospitalization. The medication was approved in August 2021 to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death and HF hospitalization in adults with HF with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF).
- In addition, in August 2021, Jardiance (empagliflozin) 10 mg was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death plus hospitalization for heart failure in adults with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF). Therefore, due to rising hospital admissions and an increase in product approvals, the studied market is expected to grow significantly during the analysis period.
- However, a strict regulatory process and the high cost of the drugs are expected to restrain the market growth during the study period.
Cardiovascular Drugs Industry Segmentation
Cardiovascular drugs are medications used to treat a class of diseases related to the heart or blood vessels. Most cardiovascular drugs are prescribed to treat hypertension and dyslipidemia, which are majorly responsible for the formation of atherosclerotic plaque within blood vessels, restricting blood flow to the body parts and resulting in multiple cardiac indications.
The cardiovascular drugs market is segmented by drug class (anti-hyperlipidemics, anti-hypertensives, anti-coagulants, anti-arrhythmics, and other drug classes), indication (hypertension, hyperlipidemia, coronary artery disease, arrhythmia, and other indications), distribution channel (hospital, pharmacies, and other distribution channels), and geography. (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and South America). The market report also covers the estimated market sizes and trends for 17 countries across major regions globally.
The report offers the value (in USD) for the above segments.
|By Drug Class|
|Other Drug Classes|
|Coronary Artery Disease|
|By Distribution Channel|
|Other Distribution Channels|
Cardiovascular Drugs Market Trends
Hypertension Segment is Expected to Witness Significant Growth Over the Forecast Period
- The hypertension segment is growing and is anticipated to hold a significant share during the forecast period. When blood pressure is excessively high, it is called hypertension. If one has high blood pressure for a long period but doesn’t regulate it, hypertensive heart disease may develop. Heart failure or other health issues could result from increased stress on patients’ hearts. Thus, cardiovascular drugs are used to control high blood pressure (high BP) or hypertension. Hence, with the increasing burden of hypertension among the target population, the segment is expected to grow.
- Hypertension significantly increases the risk of heart, brain, and kidney diseases. Thus, the rising burden of hypertension among the target population increases the demand for drugs used to treat hypertension. For example, the data updated by the World Health Organization (WHO) in March 2023 mentioned that the number of people living with hypertension doubled to 1.28 billion in 2021 from previous years, which increased drastically over the past few decades. Hence, WHO has set a global record to reduce the prevalence of hypertension by 30% by 2030. Additionally, as per the data released by the American College of Cardiology in December 2022, nearly 2,770 DALYs per 100,000 persons related to CVDs were caused by high blood pressure and is expected to drive the demand for the development and the availability of cardiology drugs, fueling the segment’s growth.
- Furthermore, frequent product approval and innovation are expected to drive the segment’s growth. For instance, in May 2022, Zydus Lifesciences Limited’s subsidiary, Zydus Worldwide DMCC, received tentative approval from the FDA to market Selexipag tablets used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in adults. In addition, in February 2022, the FDA approved Norliqva (amlodipine) oral solution for the treatment of hypertension in adults and children 6 years and older to lower blood pressure and coronary artery disease. Such approvals are anticipated to accelerate the growth of the segment. Hence, owing to factors such as the rising burden of hypertension and product approvals, the studied segment is expected to grow during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share of the Market During the Forecast Period
- North America holds a significant share of the cardiovascular drugs market and is expected to continue its growth trend throughout the forecast period. The major factors contributing to the growth of the region are a sedentary lifestyle, lack of physical activity, lack of proper diet, anxiety, and stress, resulting in diabetes and obesity. These conditions further lead to a rise in the prevalence of multiple cardiovascular conditions like coronary artery disease, strokes, and atrial fibrillation, among other conditions.
- Among other countries of the region, the United States contributes significantly to the studied market growth owing to a high prevalence and incidence of CVDs. The data updated by Cedars-Sinai in January 2022 shows that coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG), also known as coronary artery bypass or bypass surgery, is the most common type of heart surgery and more than 300,000 people have successful bypass surgery in the United States each year. This shows a rising burden of cardiovascular diseases in the country and demands the development of drugs for treatment in the United States.
- In addition, the data updated in July 2022 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease, and approximately 20.1 million adults aged 20 and older had the disease in the United States in the previous year. Additionally, as per the CDC data, every 40 seconds, someone suffers from a heart attack, and nearly 805,000 people in the United States have a heart attack every year. Thus, the high burden of cardiovascular diseases demands the availability of advanced drugs for treatment and is expected to drive the overall market’s growth in the region.
- Moreover, product launches, approvals, and clinical trials are increasing in the region, which is anticipated to drive the growth of the market studied over the forecast period. For instance, in December 2021, the FDA approved Leqvio (inclisiran), the first and only small interfering RNA (siRNA) therapy to lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (also known as bad cholesterol or LDL-C) with two doses a year after an initial dose and one at three months. Developed by Novartis, Leqvio provides effective LDL-C reduction of up to 52% against a placebo for certain people with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) on maximally tolerated statin therapy. In addition, in August 2021, Health Canada approved MYINFLA 0.5 mg for the reduction of cardiovascular risk in patients with coronary disease. Therefore, the market is expected to witness a high growth rate over the forecast period due to the factors mentioned above in North America.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Cardiovascular Drugs Industry Overview
The cardiovascular drugs market is competitive and consists of several global and regional major players. The key players are developing novel products to compete with the existing products, while others are acquiring and partnering with the other companies trending in the market to expand their global presence. Some of the market players in the studied market are Amgen Inc., Baxter International Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, Novartis AG, and Pfizer Inc., among others.
Cardiovascular Drugs Market Leaders
Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Cardiovascular Drugs Market News
- January 2023: Lupin Pharmaceuticals, a global player in drug discovery, launched the generic version of the combination drug in India following the patent expiry of Novartis’ blockbuster heart drug Sacubitril and Valsartan, which will be marketed under two brand names, Valentas and Arnipin indicated for patients with Heart Failure (HF).
- January 2023: Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, a global pharmaceutical company, launched the sacubitril + valsartan prescription-only tablets in India for the treatment of HF, marketed under the brand name ‘Sacu V.’
Cardiovascular Drugs Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Rising Prevalence of Cardiovascular Diseases (CVDs) Globally
4.2.2 Growing R&D Investments in Efficient Drug Development
4.2.3 Increasing Reimbursement Policies
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Stringent Regulatory Framework and Highly Expensive Drugs
4.3.2 Adoption of Advanced Medical Devices
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value - USD)
5.1 By Drug Class
5.1.5 Other Drug Classes
5.2 By Indication
5.2.3 Coronary Artery Disease
5.2.5 Other Indications
5.3 By Distribution Channel
5.3.3 Other Distribution Channels
5.4.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United states
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Middle East and Africa
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East and Africa
5.4.5 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Amgen Inc
6.1.3 Bayer AG
6.1.4 Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
6.1.5 F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
6.1.6 Gilead Sciences Inc
6.1.7 Johnson & Johnson
6.1.9 Merck & Co., Inc. (MSD)
6.1.10 Novartis AG
6.1.11 Pfizer Inc.
6.1.12 Sanofi S A
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Cardiovascular Drugs Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Cardiovascular Drugs Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Cardiovascular Drugs Market?
The Cardiovascular Drugs Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.8% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Cardiovascular Drugs Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Cardiovascular Drugs Market?
North America holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Cardiovascular Drugs Market?
Amgen Inc, Novartis AG, Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, Pfizer Inc., Baxter are the major companies operating in Cardiovascular Drugs Market.
Cardiovascular Drugs Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Cardiovascular Drugs market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Cardiovascular Drugs analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.