Automotive Upholstery Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Automotive Upholstery Market Analysis
The Automotive Upholstery Market was valued at USD 8.5 billion and is expected to reach USD 13.6 billion by registering a CAGR of around 7% during the forecast period.
The COVID-19 pandemic hindered the growth of the automotive upholstery market as the production of new vehicles witnessed a decline due to the imposition of lockdowns and travel restrictions worldwide. Supply chain disruptions and fluctuations in the costs of raw materials further hampered the growth of the upholstery market. However, as manufacturing facilities resumed production, the market grew significantly during the forecast period.
Over the medium term, growing demand for advanced automotive technologies and automotive interiors, with a rising focus on lightweight automotive materials and the development of varied non-fabric substitutes, is expected to drive demand in automotive upholstery during the forecast period. Furthermore, contributed by the rising demand for customized interiors in vehicles. Moreover, various automobile manufacturers are focusing on developing better products to offer better product to their customers.
- In the same line, Mercedes has worked for a perforated seat. Mushrooms on the forest floor are produced by the mycelium of a fungus, which is a fibrous root system that helps break down organic matter to nourish plant life. A foamy marshmallowy material can be harvested in as little as two weeks by feeding mycelial cells a diet of sawdust and organic material in a vertical agriculture facility powered by renewable energy. The material is then formed into sheets and processed according to green chemistry principles. Some plasticizers provide durability, but Mylo is certified to be 50-85% bio-based.
- The perforated seat inserts look and feel like leather and make their automotive debut in the Mercedes EQXX.
- Adriano Di Marti, a Mexican company, created Deserttex automotive upholstery by harvesting mature prickly pear leaves, which grow back naturally and do not require irrigation, chemicals, or pesticides. These leaves are crushed, sun-dried, mixed with non-toxic materials, and processed into vegan leather. It is said to be durable for ten years and, unlike Mylo, is partially biodegradable.
- Deserttex, which imitates the spring-back and suppleness of collagen in animal leather, is used for the majority of the EQXX's white seating, console, and steering wheel.
On the other hand, the changing prices of raw materials and the strict government rules and regulations for reducing HAP (Hazardous air pollutant) emissions are anticipated to curtail the growth of the market. Nevertheless, the development of autonomous vehicles offers new opportunities for automotive upholstery manufacturers throughout the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for the automotive upholstery market and is expected to lead the market. China is anticipated to play a significant role in the automotive upholstery market, followed by Japan and India. North America is expected to grow at a faster rate, followed by Europe during the forecast period owing to the rising number of automobiles in this region.
Automotive Upholstery Industry Segmentation
Automotive upholstery is referred to as the work related to furniture in vehicles, especially covering interior parts of the vehicle, including seats, doors, carpets, and boot spaces with padding and fabric or leather covers. Moreover, different types of fabrics are used for designing the interiors of the vehicle.
The scope of the report covers segmentation based on Material Type, Sales Channel, Product Type, and Geography. By Material Type, the market is segmented into Leather, Vinyl, and Other Material Types. By Sales Channel, the market is segmented into OEM and Aftermarket. By Product Type, the market is segmented into Dashboard, Seat Covers, Roof Liners, and Door Trim. By Geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the world. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done on the basis of value (USD billion).
|Other Material Types|
Automotive Upholstery Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Automotive Upholstery Market according to our research experts:
Seat Covers Segment Expected to Gain Significance during the Forecast Period
The Seat Covers application is estimated to be the largest growing segment for the automotive upholstery market by product type application during the forecast period. The growth of this application can be attributed directly to the growth of vehicle production. Seat covers utilize the maximum upholstery material in an automotive application. Each car seat utilizes up to 2 meters of upholstery material.
The upholstery material required for automotive seat covers varies depending on the vehicle model and vehicle type. Moreover, as the comfort of drivers in vehicles is gaining importance, seats have become an important factor in influencing a purchase decision for a buyer who spends a significant amount of time in road transit. So in this regard, some of the key players in the market are focused on improving their investments over the forecast period. For instance,
- In November 2021, auto seat covers maker Peca Group (PGB) signed a 2-year memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Malaysia Automotive Robotics and IoT Institute (MARii) to collaborate in EV parts, components technology, and market expansion of products.
Under this MoU, MARii will be developing new opportunities for PGB to expand its capabilities to offer more competitive products to global brands, as well as enhance the operational efficiency of PGB's business process by integrating Industry 4.0 systems.
Despite this, to cater to the growing demand for comfortable seats and seat covers from customers, automotive OEMs are also providing customized seats. Currently, customers can choose from a wide variety of seat covers that are offered as a standard fit on car seats, as well as diverse options in the aftermarket. For instance,
- In May 2022, Toyota Boshoku Corporation (Toyota Boshoku) announced that it would exhibit at the JSAE's Automotive Engineering Exposition 2022. Its Fatigue Estimation and Drowsiness Suppression System is a seat cover equipped with a system that estimates the driver's drowsiness and fatigue while driving and suppresses drowsiness. The "plant-derived self-healing resin material" is a plant-derived resin that repairs itself even if the material is scratched or cracked.
In addition, driver fatigue, which is observed as a major reason for vehicle accidents, can be reduced with ergonomically structured automotive seats and perforated seat covers. The increase in the uptake of advanced seat technologies such as sensor-enabled seats, which monitor a driver's biometrics, and ventilated seats likely to drive the growth of the automotive seat's upholstery market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region Anticipated to Lead the Automotive Upholstery Market
Asia-Pacific region is likely to dominate the Automotive upholstery market owing to the growing demand for automotive vehicles and the presence of automobile manufacturing facilities, especially in countries such as China, India, and Japan. The demand for automotive upholstery in this region is directly linked to vehicle production in China and India, which are both automotive hubs. Moreover, the demand for luxury vehicles in this region is anticipated to grow, further enhancing the demand for automotive upholstery from this region.
Apart from rising automotive sales, government initiatives and global investments boost the demand for automotive upholstery over the forecast period. So, players present in the market are actively engaged in designing several growth strategies and are also inclined towards performing research and development activities to strengthen their presence in the market. For instance,
- In April 2022, Honda Cars India Ltd., India's leading premium car manufacturer, today unveiled the much-anticipated New City e: HEV, India's Supreme Electric Hybrid. The company reiterated its global vision of achieving carbon neutrality and zero collision fatalities by 2050 while releasing technical details of the new City e: HEV. The car's interior is plush, premium, and spacious, with a New Luxurious Two-Tone Ivory & Black Interior Color Theme.
- Nobo Automotive Systems will exhibit a carbon fiber frame seat at the Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition in April 2021. This seat's back frame is integrally formed with carbon fiber composites and uses a small number of parts, resulting in a 35% weight reduction. Zhejiang Tiancheng Controls' high-end carbon fiber seat, introduced in November 2021, uses one-piece molding, thermosetting, and injection molding processes and is approximately 30% lighter than conventional steel seats.
North America is expected to grow at a faster pace during the forecasted period due to the presence of leading automotive manufacturers with a surge in industrialization followed by the Europe region.
The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high adoption of passenger cars in the countries such as the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Cars being one of the major needs in almost all households in the United States, production growth contributes to the upholstery market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Automotive Upholstery Industry Overview
The Automotive Upholstery Market is the moderately consolidated one owing to its competitive nature and the presence of a large number of players operating in it across the globe. These players are estimated to focus on the development of new products and innovations, which will help them expand their product portfolio and attract a large number of consumers across the globe. For instance, in March 2021, Adient, a global leader in automotive seating, announced that as part of its strategic transformation in China, it has entered into definitive agreements with joint venture partner Yanfeng Automotive Trim Systems Ltd. (YF) to end its Yanfeng Adient Seating Co., Ltd. (YFAS) joint venture in China.
Some of the key players in the market are Adient PLC, Lear Corporation, Toyota Boshoku Corporation, Faurecia SE, and Seiren Co. Ltd.
Automotive Upholstery Market Leaders
Toyota Boshoku Corporation
Seiren Co. Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Automotive Upholstery Market News
- October 2022: Lear Corp. of Southfield, Michigan, announced a fully recyclable sueded material that it expects to launch in seating and door panel applications with a global automaker in 2024. According to Lear, the new material, called ReNewKnit, is a first-to-market automotive textile that is fully recyclable at the end of its life cycle and is manufactured with recycled materials at the company's facilities in the United Kingdom and Poland using 100 percent renewable electricity. According to the company, the material, developed by Guilford Performance Textiles by Lear, is made entirely of recycled plastic bottles. ReNewKnit fibers are spun from polyester yarn and finished with a foam-free recycled fleece backing, reducing water and energy consumption even further during manufacturing.
- June 2022: Ford Europe revealed its in-house-developed, 14-way adjustable spine-friendly seats for the Puma ST performance SUV, 1 which are certified by leading spinal health organization Aktion Gesunder Rücken e.V. (AGR), the Campaign for Healthier Backs. The new seats are also available for Focus ST and Fiesta ST models. They are finished in Ford's premium Sensico upholstery, which is a vegan material that replicates the premium look, feel durability, and ease of cleaning of leather.
- January 2022: Malaysia-based Pecca Leather Sdn Bhd announced that it was purchasing a 1.74-ha leasehold industrial land for MYR 8.45 million. The land is in Serendah, Selangor, and is part of the mixed industrial, commercial and residential development known as UMW HVM Park. Pecca is involved in styling, manufacturing, and installing leather upholstery for seat covers for the automotive and aviation industries.
- May 2021: Alcantara announced that the vehicle interior of the Maserati MC20 is the result of a joint partnership between designers at Centro Stile Maserati and the designers and technical experts at Alcantara Complex Manufacturing. The Alcantara-clad seats give the driver a high degree of stability, even while experiencing lateral accelerations, meaning precision cornering. As well as its technical performance, Alcantara upholstery gives the interior a contemporary, elegant finish.
- January 2021: Faurecia announced that following approval from the appropriate regulatory bodies, it has completed the acquisition from DAS Corporation of 50% of its joint venture with BAIC, Beijing BAI DAS Automotive System Co., Ltd. The joint venture is the main seating supplier for BAIC Hyundai and has strong development opportunities with other BAIC-owned brands and partners.
Automotive Upholstery Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter Five Forces
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value USD billion)
5.1 Material Type
5.1.3 Other Material Types
5.2 Sales Channel
5.3.3 Roof Liners
5.3.4 Door Trim
5.4.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
184.108.40.206 South America
220.127.116.11 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Adient PLC
6.2.2 Toyota Boshoku Corporation
6.2.3 Faurecia SE
6.2.4 CMI Enterprises (JKSP Solutions)
6.2.5 IMS Nonwoven
6.2.6 Katzkin Leather Inc. (Stahl Holdings BV)
6.2.7 Lear Corporation
6.2.8 Seiren Co. Ltd
6.2.9 The Woodbridge Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS**
Automotive Upholstery Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Automotive Upholstery Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Automotive Upholstery Market?
The Automotive Upholstery Market is growing at a CAGR of 7% over the next 5 years.
What is Automotive Upholstery Market size in 2017?
The Automotive Upholstery Market is valued at 8 Billion USD in 2017.
What is Automotive Upholstery Market size in 2027?
The Automotive Upholstery Market is valued at 13 Billion USD in 2027.
Which region has highest growth rate in Automotive Upholstery Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Automotive Upholstery Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Automotive Upholstery Market?
Adient PLC, Lear Corporation, Toyota Boshoku Corporation, Faurecia SE, Seiren Co. Ltd are the major companies operating in Automotive Upholstery Market.
Automotive Upholstery Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Automotive Upholstery market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Automotive Upholstery analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.