Alpine Electronics, Panasonic, Continental, Pioneer, and Harman International have been the top five market leaders in the automotive infotainment industry for the past few years, and they have been the driving force in the APAC region, along with the other players. The global smartphone-based automotive infotainment system market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 12% during the forecast period. Automotive infotainment systems, which were previously factory-fitted only in luxury and business-segment cars, have become increasingly popular even in the entry-level or budgeted vehicles. These systems have the highest penetration in the North American and Asian markets, where most new cars come fitted with these systems. With the rise of car production in the APAC region, the infotainment industry has seen a sharp rise in demand for the last three years, particularly India, China, and Africa. Car manufacturers in this region usually offer such systems in their premium models.
The Digital-enabled Market
The infotainment systems in cars now feature entertainment, connectivity, as well as Global Positioning Service (GPS), which have made them a vital piece of hardware for cars. The prices of the latest systems have also come down in recent times with the increase in demand, which has made them more affordable and cheap and hence, increased their penetration in the market. The technology is rapidly changing, which ensures that the growth rate, even in the saturated markets, will be healthy.
As per the researchers at Mordor Intelligence, the availability of low-cost data plans for high-speed connectivity such as 4G services has revolutionized the infotainment industry. This high-speed connectivity is providing systems with the capability to remain connected through real-time data transfer and streaming. Consequently, smartphone integration with car dashboards allows automotive OEMs to provide robust navigation support in cars in a cost-effective way.
There has been an increased usage of infotainment services, such as live music and cloud services, in the last few years because of the rapid development of the smartphone and IT industry. Earlier, the infotainment systems were used to play the media available on the local device. However, the need for internet connectivity and connected cars technology have led to increased demand for connected infotainment systems. The infotainment technology has stepped further by introducing smart infotainment systems that use data analytics based on inputs such as interactive voice recognition, among others.
The Emerging Market
The highest rate of growth in the forecast period is expected to be seen in the Asian region, as a higher number of vehicles are likely to feature these systems with decreasing cost. The share of aftermarket suppliers in the market is expected to reduce gradually, as a higher number of systems are predicted to come factory-fitted with the cars. Car companies are building business relationships with infotainment equipment companies to provide them with the systems. The sales and share of sole audio and navigation units are projected to come down and comprehensive infotainment systems are anticipated to register the strongest sales. Post-2021, Africa is expected to overtake the Asia-Pacific region and grow the fastest because of the rising sales of passenger cars in the market.
Key Development and News
- March 2018: Harman speeds up expansion after becoming a Samsung subsidiary. "Our devotion to deliver a future which seamlessly connects consumers and enterprises across automotive, the home, mobile and office is unstoppable. The past year has seen considerable progress and innovation across all markets, and the coming years promise even more cutting-edge developments," Harman International said on its website.
- December 2017: Maruti Suzuki adds Android Auto to SmartPlay Infotainment System with its already popular Apple SmartPlay.
Automotive Infotainment Companies
Source: Statista/Mordor Intelligence Analysis
Major Players: Alpine, Continental AG, Delphi Automotive, Pioneer Corporation, Harman International, Kenwood, amongst others
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Detailed analysis on the product type that is expected to dominate the market
- Detailed analysis on the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your need.
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Executive Summary
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Study Assumptions
2.3 Research Phases
3. MARKET OVERVIEW AND TRENDS
3.1 Current Market Scenario
3.2 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Degree of Competition
3.3 Technology Trends
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION AND ANALYSIS (MARKET SIZE, GROWTH, AND FORECAST)
5.1 By Installation Type
5.1.1 In-Dash Infotainment
5.1.2 Rear Seat Infotainment
5.2 By Vehicle
5.2.1 Passenger Car
5.2.2 Commercial Vehicle
6. REGIONAL MARKET ANALYSIS (MARKET SIZE, GROWTH, AND FORECAST)
6.1 North America
6.1.1 United States
6.1.3 Rest of North America
6.2.2 United Kingdom
6.2.5 Rest of Europe
6.3.4 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.4 Rest of the World
6.4.2 South Africa
6.4.3 Other Countries
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.2 Market Share Analysis
8. COMPANY PROFILES (OVERVIEW, FINANCIALS**, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, KEY DEVELOPMENTS, AND SWOT ANALYSIS**)
8.1 Denso Corporation
8.2 Robert Bosch GmbH
8.3 Continental AG
8.4 Harman International Industries, Inc.
8.5 Magnetic Marelli S.p.A
8.6 Kenwood Corporation
8.7 Alpine Electronics, Inc.,
8.8 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
8.9 Visteon Corporation
8.10 Pioneer Corporation
8.11 Aptiv PLC
** Subject to the Availability of Information on Public Domain and from Industry Experts