Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Asia Pacific LiDAR market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 32.39% during the forecast period of 2021 to 2026. LiDAR-based mapping solutions are agile and can be used on a stationary or moving vehicle. Owing to this, they are being adopted by a growing number of industries, especially for application in engineering, construction, environment, and exploration, proving the effectiveness and, therefore, demand for this technology.
- These LiDARs are also used for the planning of field campaigns and mapping under the forest canopy. Spain-based scientists improved the annual and seasonal mapping accuracy with LiDAR data (from 73% to 83%). Moreover, another major driving factor for the LiDAR market is the increasing use of drones for multiple applications, such as aerospace and defense, and automation, which are leading organizations to invest in drone research.
- In this region, LiDAR system applications are also being deployed in defense, geological surveys, pollution monitoring, transport, energy, and construction sectors, coupled with drones. Additionally, countries such as India and China are expected to increase speeding an average of USD 7 billion in drone technology for defense in the forecast period.
- In Malaysia, the government has been using the LiDAR to map the water table depth, flood risk in coastal areas, and canal blocking restoration requirements. The increase in such adoption of LiDAR systems by governments across different countries in the region is expected to positively contribute to the market’s growth over the forecast period.
- In March 2020, Japan’s Mitsubishi Electric Corporation unveiled a new compact LiDAR solution for autonomous vehicles, equipped with MEMS that can enhance the horizontal vision span and pedestrian detection capabilities of the self-driving vehicle, with a volume of around 900cc. The company is also planning to develop a smaller LiDAR variant with a volume of just 350cc or less.
- Furthermore, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has led to lockdown all over the world. Hence this lockdown situation has disrupted the exports of automotive parts, and the manufacturing process is also interrupted by this pandemic situation. Moreover, the expensive nature of the systems is challenging the adoption of these systems. Companies, such as Ford and Baidu, are investing in these systems to develop low-cost LiDAR systems. Hence this can impact the overall sales of LiDAR within this region.
Scope of the Report
LiDAR systems are used to help scientists and mapping professionals examine both natural and artificial environments with precision, accuracy, and flexibility. Moreover, LiDAR is used for automated tractor steering solutions and surveying fields with drones in the agriculture industry. The Asia Pacific LiDAR market is segmented by Product, Component, and End User. Additionally, its Product segment is further segmented into Aerial LiDAR, Ground-based LiDAR.
|Inertial Measurement Unit|
|Aerospace & Defense|
Key Market Trends
Ground Based LiDAR will drive the Growth of this Market
- The ground-based LiDAR systems have been widely used in close-range and high accuracy applications, especially in architectural restoration, facilities inventory, erosion mapping, stability detection, and various applications in the manufacturing industry. Static and dynamic variations are frequently incorporated in the exploration, engineering, and other mobile mapping systems, along with the GPS referencing techniques for precision and accuracy.
- The ground-based fixed LiDARs are relatively less costly, as these devices can avoid the use of IMU in air-borne systems or LiDAR scanners mounted on vehicles. Such features make the use of ground-based LiDAR cost-effective for the industries and can do the mapping in case of emergency and disaster management, in case of occurrence of any unwanted events. Hence, low costs associated with ground-based LiDAR systems, coupled with lesser stringent regulations for mapping or survey, are expected to drive the growth of this segment.
- High-resolution snow/soil depth and snow/soil depth change maps can be used from terrestrial laser scanning (TLS) data to quantify loading patterns of avalanche/landslides, in snow/landslide-prone regions, for use in both pre-control plannings and in post-control assessment in case of such events, which increases the application base of such products suitable to a diverse base of end-users.
- The automotive sector is emerging as an application area for mobile ground-based LiDAR systems within this region. According to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways of India, the installation of the ADAS system is mandatory in all new vehicles (heavy-duty included) by 2022. Hence these types of government initiatives will definitely support the growth of this market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Growing Aerospace and Defense Industry will drive the Growth of this Market
- LiDAR has made limited leeway in the aerospace and defense industry. Still, there is potential for research to determine the extent of usage of LiDAR technology in the defense industry. The use of drones to monitor unexplored territory is crucial in the defense industry, and the use of LiDAR technology to analyze data through obstacles plays a vital role in identifying anomalies.
- Higher resolution systems are deployed to collect details to identify targets and movement through the forest canopies and other obstacles, such as Airborne Laser Mine Detection System (ALMDS) for the counter-mine warfare. Short-range LiDARs are utilized for identifying the presence of gases and liquids and other bio-threats in hazardous locations. The ability to detect rapidly and respond in real-time gives the LiDAR technology a significant edge over the other conventional technologies which have been implemented in the industry.
- Moreover, different government initiatives are also influencing the growth of this market. For instance, The Indian government is also planning to carry LiDAR surveys for all the roads in the northeastern states. It will also help to promote the local providers for this market.
- Owing to the extensive use of the LiDAR system in defense, geological surveys, and energy and construction sectors, different countries such as India and China, are expected to increase speeding an average of USD 7 billion in drone technology for defense in the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Asia Pacific Lidar market is highly competitive due to the presence of many players within this region. Most major vendors invest heavily in their research and development sections to create a unique differentiation from their other competitors. Some major vendors for this market are Topcon Corporation, Denso Corporation, Leishen Intelligent Systems, etc.
- March 2021 - SICK AG launched their new multibeam scanner called the scanGrid2 for guided and small autonomous transport vehicles. This scanner uses LiDAR technology to increase productivity, avoids collision, and protect demanding areas up to performance level c and is integrated with app and cloning function for fast commissioning and high usability of the sensor solution.
- January 2021 - DENSO Corporation announced a partnership with Aeva, a United States-based perception and LiDAR system company. This partnership focuses on developing new advancements in perception and sensing systems like Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW) LiDAR for measuring depth, velocity, and reflectivity in the mass vehicle market.
- April 2021 - DENSO Corporation announced the development of its new advanced driver assistance technology. This technology is designed for the new Lexus LS and Toyota Mirai, both released in Japan. This advanced drive technology includes LiDAR to detect roads, surrounding objects, and vehicles; a Locator Telescopic Camera; a Spatial Information Service Electronic Control Unit (SIS ECU); Advanced Drive Extension Electronic Control Unit (ADX ECU) and an Advanced Drive System Electronic Control Unit (ADS ECU) to expand the performance and functionality of vehicle drive system.
- March 2021 - Leica Geosystems introduced their new mapper, Leica CityMapper-2L, mainly for aerial urban mapping projects. This mapper is used for air traffic controls restrictions, low cloud cover areas, and where lower flying heights are required. The CityMapper-2L features 71 mm focal length at nadir, new lenses for productivity and coverage at small, standard, and high-flying sizes, a 2 MHz linear-mode LiDAR sensor, four 150 MP oblique cameras, and two 150 MP nadir cameras.
- January 2021 - SICK AG announced a partnership with Ibeo Automotive Systems GmbH, an automotive LiDAR specialist, to develop new advancements in 3D solid-state LiDAR sensors mainly used in industrial applications. Ibeo will provide its ibeoNEXT measurement core. SICK will help develop system designs and software for a new industrial LiDAR sensor through this partnership and support customer requirements in solving LiDAR-based industrial applications.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.1.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.1.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.1.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.1.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.1.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Applications In Government Sector
5.1.2 Increasing Adoption In Automotive Industry
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 High Cost of The LiDAR Systems
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1.1 Aerial LiDAR
6.1.2 Ground-based LiDAR
6.2.2 Laser Scanners
6.2.3 Inertial Measurement Unit
6.2.4 Other Components
6.3.4 Aerospace & Defense
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Leica Geosystems Ag
7.1.2 Topcon Corporation
7.1.3 Neptec Technologies Corp
7.1.4 Sick Ag
7.1.5 Trimble Inc
7.1.6 Denso Corporation
7.1.7 Faro Technologies Inc.
7.1.8 Hesai Technology
7.1.10 RoboSense LiDAR
7.1.11 Leishen Intelligent Systems
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MAREKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Asia Pacific LiDAR Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Asia Pacific LiDAR Market?
The Asia Pacific LiDAR Market is growing at a CAGR of 32.39% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Asia Pacific LiDAR Market?
Topcon Corporation , Denso Corporation , Faro Technologies Inc., Trimble Inc, Sick Ag are the major companies operating in Asia Pacific LiDAR Market.