|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The construction chemicals market size was estimated at USD 47,997.12 million in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. With the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, though, construction work stopped all across the world, especially in major construction hubs, like China, India, United States, and European nations. For instance, in South Korea, the construction industry is expected to contract by about 3% in 2020 due to the coronavirus outbreak and slower economic growth. Loss of investment plans and termination of planned projects might be experienced in the market after the lockdown and normalization of business operations, further affecting building and construction across the region.
- Over the short term, growing construction activities in the Asia-Pacific region, especially in ASEAN countries, increased adoption of new technology, and innovative construction procedures are some of the factors driving the growth of the market studied. For instance, Malaysia’s biggest megaproject, the MYR 44 billion (USD 14.3 billion) East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) project, is likely to drive the market for construction chemicals in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Increasing environmental regulations regarding VOC emissions remains a constraint for the growth of the market studied.
- The concrete admixture segment dominated the market by product type. Moreover, it is expected to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
- The residential segment dominated the market. However, the industrial segment is expected to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Chemicals that are mixed with cement, concrete, and other construction materials to produce excellent construction material are termed construction chemicals. The market is segmented on the basis of product, end-user industry, and geography. By product, the market is segmented into concrete admixture, surface treatments, repair and rehabilitation, protective coatings, industrial flooring, waterproofing, adhesives, sealants, grouts and anchors, and cement grinding aids. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into commercial, industrial, infrastructure, residential, and public space. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the construction chemicals market in 20 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Repair and Rehabilitation|
|Grout and Anchor|
|Cement Grinding Aids|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Concrete Admixtures
- Concrete admixtures are ingredients that are added to the concrete mixture before or during mixing. Concrete admixtures reduce concrete construction costs by modifying the properties of hardened concrete, thereby ensuring better quality during mixing, transporting, placing, and curing. This allows users to overcome emergencies during concrete operations.
- According to the European Standard EN 206-1, the permitted dosage of admixtures to concrete should be less than or equal to 5% by weight of the cement. However, in conditions of low dosage, the admixture quantities should be less than 0.2% of the cement.
- The admixture is generally added in a relatively small quantity, ranging from 0.005% to 2%, by the weight of cement. However, overuse of admixtures has detrimental effects on the quality and properties of concrete.
- Based on function, admixtures are categorized into several types, which include air-entraining, retarding, accelerating, plasticizing, and water reducing, among others. The special category admixtures have various functions, including shrinkage reduction, corrosion inhibition, workability enhancement, alkali-silica reactivity reduction, bonding, coloring, and damp proofing.
- Asia-Pacific has the largest market for concrete admixture, owing to the massive growth in construction in India, China, and various Southeast Asian countries. Various incentives by the governments of the respective countries to promote the infrastructure sector, coupled with the booming residential sector (owing to the burgeoning middle-class population), have largely facilitated the growth of the construction sector in Asia-Pacific over the recent years.
- Demand for concrete admixture is increasing at a rapid rate. Manufacturers are responding to this demand and have started taking action. For example, BASF launched Master X-Seed STE admixture for the concrete industry in March 2019. The product was introduced specifically for the Asia-Pacific region, as it enhances concrete strength’s development and performance characteristics.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific construction sector is the largest in the world and is growing at a healthy rate, owing to the rising population, increase in middle-class incomes, and urbanization.
- Increasing infrastructure construction activities and the entry of major players from the European Union into the lucrative market of China have further fueled the industry’s expansion.
- China’s 13th Five Year Plan started in 2016, as it was an important year for the country’s engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) industry. In addition, the country ventured into new business models domestically and internationally during the year. Although the construction sector slowed down after 2013, it is still a major contributor to the GDP of the country. China’s construction industry developed rapidly in the recent past, due to the central government’s push for infrastructure investment, as a means to sustain economic growth.
- The construction industry is the second-largest industry in India with a GDP contribution of about 9% and has shown promising growth in 2019 with a re-energized output of around 8%. It is predicted that India’s construction industry is set to emerge as the third-largest market in the world, with a size of almost USD 1 trillion by the end of the forecast period.
- In Japan, major construction companies such as Shimizu, Kajima, Obayashi, Taisei, and Daiwa House announced a suspension of construction work until after the Golden Week holidays (ended on 6 May). Although the government has begun to ease its countermeasures with respect to COVID-19, it is difficult to predict to what extent work will return to normal. With the postponement of the Olympics and the general deterioration of the economy, the most visible main trends in the local construction and projects markets in Japan are postponement and a slow re-starting.
- Although the construction industry in Australia has been negatively impacted by COVID-19, it is also likely to be one of the key industries to kick start the economy when the country begins to emerge from the impacts of COVID-19.
- New petrochemical facilities development boosted the private sector demand, while industrial and building projects in the Punggol Digital District contributed to the public sector demand in Singapore. The infrastructure sector is also expected to post relatively healthy growth, mainly driven by the efforts to upgrade the country’s road, rail, and other public transport infrastructure and investment in energy and utilities construction projects. The government had been planning to invest SGD 28 billion (USD 20.9 billion) in the expansion and upgrading of the transport system by 2022.
- The above-mentioned factors are likely to drive the demand for construction chemicals over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The construction chemicals market is fragmented in nature, as the top 10 players account for a share of less than 40% in the market studied. Major players in the market include Sika AG, Arkema, RPM International Inc., MAPEI, and Dow.
- In September 2020, BASF closed the divestiture of its Construction Chemicals business to an affiliate of Lone Star, a global private equity firm. The Construction Chemicals business now forms the newly founded MBCC Group, headquartered in Mannheim, Germany.
- In June 2020, Sika AG acquired Modern Waterproofing Group, a leading manufacturer of roofing and waterproofing systems in Egypt. The new boost growth for Sika in the Egyptian construction market.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rising Residential and Commercial Construction Activities in the Asia-Pacific Region
4.1.2 Strengthening Demand for Water-based Products
4.2.1 Regulations for VOC Emissions and Inadequacy of Skilled Labor
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to the COVID-19 Impact
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Price Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Concrete Admixture
5.1.2 Surface Treatment
5.1.3 Repair and Rehabilitation
5.1.4 Protective Coatings
5.1.5 Industrial Flooring
5.1.9 Grout and Anchor
5.1.10 Cement Grinding Aids
5.2 End-use Sector
184.108.40.206 Office Space
220.127.116.11 Education Institutes
18.104.22.168 Other Commercials
22.214.171.124 Iron and Steel
126.96.36.199 Capital Goods
188.8.131.52 Petrochemical (Including Fertilizers)
184.108.40.206 Food and Beverage
220.127.116.11 Other Industrials
18.104.22.168 Roads and Bridges
22.214.171.124 Elite Housing
126.96.36.199 Middle-class Housing
188.8.131.52 Low-cost Housing
5.2.5 Public Space
184.108.40.206 Government Buildings
220.127.116.11 Statues and Monuments
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 ASEAN Countries
126.96.36.199 Australia and New Zealand
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Latin America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 United Arab Emirates
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.4 BASF SE
6.4.5 Bolton Group
6.4.6 Cemetaid (N.S.W.) Pty Ltd
6.4.7 Chryso SAS
6.4.8 CICO Group
6.4.9 Conmix Ltd
6.4.11 Fosroc Inc.
6.4.12 Franklin International
6.4.13 GCP Applied Technologies Inc.
6.4.14 Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
6.4.17 MUHU (China) Construction Materials Co. Ltd
6.4.19 Pidilite Industries Ltd
6.4.20 RPM International Inc.
6.4.21 Grupa Selena
6.4.22 Sika AG
6.4.23 Thermax Limited
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Upcoming Construction Projects in the United States
7.2 Increasing Focus on Sustainable Materials
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Construction Chemicals Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Construction Chemicals Market?
The Construction Chemicals Market is growing at a CAGR of >6% over the next 5 years.
What is Construction Chemicals Market size in 2016?
The Construction Chemicals Market is valued at 47997 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Construction Chemicals Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Construction Chemicals Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Construction Chemicals Market?
MAPEI, RPM International Inc., Sika AG, Arkema , Dow are the major companies operating in Construction Chemicals Market.