The Asia-Pacific cancer biomarkers market is expected to register a good CAGR during the forecast period of 2018–2023. Biomarkers are chemical, physical or biological parameters, which can be used to indicate disease states. Oncology biomarkers offer high speed, non-invasive cancer diagnosis and are believed to enhance cancer detection and screening. Major driving factors for the market are streamlined drug delivery process, noninvasive technology, and increased rates of survival.
Paradigm Shift in Healthcare from Disease Diagnosis to Risk Assessment or Early Diagnosis
There has been a paradigm shift in healthcare, from diagnosis after the symptom has appeared to early diagnosis or risk assessment, especially in developed countries, such as the china, India, Japan, and others. Cancer biomarkers play a pivotal role in risk assessment and early diagnosis. Biomarkers, particularly those associated with genetic factors, offer a quantitative way to determine when individuals are predisposed to some form of cancer. These biomarkers have been developed for almost all cancers with high prevalence rate. Some of the examples of such biomarkers are the mutation on KRAS, p53, EGFR, erbB2 for colorectal, esophageal, liver and pancreatic cancer, and BRCA1 and BRCA2 for breast and ovarian cancer. The biomarker’s potential to assess the risk precisely has helped in improving the adoption of the technology, which has led to market expansion.
In cancer, it is widely accepted that the success of the treatment depends on the phase that it is being diagnosed in. Some even suggest the 80-20 formula, which indicates that if cancer has been diagnosed in stage one, the success rate of treatment could be as high as 80%. This underlines the importance of early diagnosis. Biomarkers have the potential to improve the early diagnosis process significantly in terms of accuracy and efficiency. This capability of precise early diagnosis is one of the most important reasons for the adoption of the technology, which is going to drive the market. The other factor, such as an increasing usage of biomarkers in drug development is driving the cancer biomarker market.
Need for Immediate Processing
It is proposed that both tissue and blood should be profiled in parallel within the single cancer-specific platform. Blood is very useful as a starting point due to its ease of acquisition, the diversity of analytes it contains, and its practicality. Moreover, most disease-relevant biomarkers are expected to be at their highest concentration at relevant organs or tissues. The need for immediate processing, storage, and thawing of these specimens is another restraining factor for the cancer biomarker tests, because the viability of the cells is very important while performing different biomarker tests. The other factors, such as the high cost of diagnosis and reimbursement issues are also hindering the growth of the Asia-Pacific cancer biomarker market.
China Leads the Market
The China cancer biomarker market held the largest market share in 2017 in the Asia-Pacific region due to the presence of better quality healthcare systems and the high rate of prevalence of cancer in this region, which is expected to increase in the coming years.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018: Roche and GE have entered into a partnership to develop the integrated digital diagnostics platform to improve oncology and critical care treatment. This partnership will apply advanced analytics to in-vivo data from GE’s medical imaging and monitoring equipment with in-vitro data from Roche’s biomarker, tissue pathology, genomics, and sequencing portfolio.
- January 2018: New biomarkers found for colorectal cancer (MYO5B).
- November 2017: Researchers find a new biomarker for breast cancer (GIRK1).
- October 2017: ABBOTT acquired ALERE.
The major players include Abbott Laboratories, Affymetrix Inc., (Thermo Fisher Scientific), Agilent Technologies, Hologic Inc., Roche Holding AG, Biomerieux, Celera Corporation (Quest Diagnostics), and Illumina Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Follow the current and future Asia-Pacific cancer biomarker market
- in the developed and emerging markets.
- Examining the various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s Five Forces Analysis.
- Identify the segment that is expected to dominate the market.
- Identify the regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Key Inferences
5. Market Overview
5.1 Current Market Scenario
5.2 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
5.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
5.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
5.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
5.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
5.2.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
6. Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Challenges Analysis (DROC)
6.1.1 Paradigm Shift in Healthcare from Disease Diagnosis to Risk Assessment or Early Diagnosis
6.1.2 Increasing Usage of Biomarkers in Drug Development
6.2.1 High Cost of Diagnosis
6.2.2 Reimbursement Issues
6.2.3 Need for Immediate Processing
6.4 Key Challenges
7. Market Segmentation
7.1 By Disease
7.1.1 Prostate Cancer
7.1.2 Breast Cancer
7.1.3 Lung Cancer
7.1.4 Colorectal Cancer
7.1.5 Cervical Cancer
7.2 By Application
7.2.1 Risk Assesment
7.2.3 Disease Diagnosis
7.2.4 Drug Discovery and Development
7.3 By Services
7.3.1 Sample Preparation
7.3.2 Assay Development
7.3.3 Biomarkers and Testing
7.4 By Type
7.4.1 Protein Biomarkers
7.4.2 Genetic Biomarkers
7.5 By Profiling Technologies
7.5.1 OMICS Technologies
7.5.2 Imaging Technologies
7.6 By Geography
188.8.131.52 Australia & New Zealand
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1 Mergers & Acquisition Analysis
8.2 Agreements, Collaborations, and Partnerships
8.3 New Products Launches
9. Key Players
9.1 Abbott Laboratories Inc.
9.2 Affymetrix Inc. (Thermo Fisher Scientific)
9.3 Agilent Technologies
9.5 Celera Corporation (Quest Diagnostics)
9.6 Hologic, Inc.
9.7 Illumina, Inc.
9.8 Roche Holding AG
*List not Exhaustive
10. Future of the Market