Tanzania Agriculture Industry Overview
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Tanzania Agriculture Market Analysis
The Tanzanian agriculture market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period.
- Agriculture is the major backbone of the country's economy. Hence, structural measures are taken to boost agricultural production in the country with the support of public-private partnerships. Fruits hold a major share due to liberalization policies supporting their exports. Bananas, mangoes, oranges, pineapples, and watermelons are the major fruits produced in the country. Thus, private sector investments, favorable government policies, and trade agreements with neighboring countries will likely drive the market during the forecast period.
- Private sector investment in the agriculture sector, research activities conducted in collaboration with local institutions, and policy initiatives undertaken by the Tanzanian government to improve the business-enabling environment to promote agricultural growth will aid Tanzania's agricultural market development in the future.
- Tanzania is one of the largest cashew producers in Africa, with exports providing 10.0-15.0% of the country's foreign exchange. It mainly grows in the country's southern regions, such as Matwara and Lindi, and more than 90.0% of the nuts are exported in raw form. The raw nuts are mainly exported to India due to a very small domestic processing capacity. This factor is driving the agriculture market in the country.
Tanzania Agriculture Industry Segments
Tanzania's agriculture sector accounts for nearly one-third of the country's GDP and employs 75% of the workforce—has the potential to raise incomes and improve livelihoods.
The Tanzania agriculture market is segmented by crop type (food crops/cereals, fruits, and vegetables). The report provides insight into production analysis (volume), consumption analysis (value and volume), export analysis (value and volume), import analysis (value and volume), and price trend analysis.
The report offers market estimation and forecast in value (USD million) and volume (metric ton) for the above-mentioned segments.
|Crop Type(Production Analysis by Volume, Consumption Analysis by Volume and Value, Import Analysis by Volume and Value, Export Analysis by Volume and Value, and Price Trend Analysis)|
Tanzania Agriculture Market Trends
Favorable Government Policies Supporting the Market Growth
- Agriculture is the largest and most important sector of the Tanzanian economy, with the country benefitting from a diverse production base, including livestock, staple food crops, and cash crops. The government addresses specific issues by providing subsidies to farmers and investors and reducing needless levies impeding the sector's growth.
- The government also sought international funding for its flagship project, Tanzania's Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor (SAGCOT), which aims to exploit the region's agricultural potential swiftly. As a result of these broad initiatives, important crop production levels could increase in the future, boosting value-added processing in the industry. To increase regional investments, the government plans to incorporate private sector engagement, including the Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor of Tanzania initiative, a public-private partnership.
- The research activities, in collaboration with local institutions, help build the necessary capacity for long-term agricultural development. In 2020, the Ministry of Agriculture Tanzania and the World Vegetable Center (worldveg) signed a memorandum of understanding to improve R&D in vegetable crops and enhance nutrition and the country's food security. Thus, private sector investments and policy initiatives may boost the market’s growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increased Production of Banana is Driving the Market
- The country’s fruit sector dominates the market, with popular fruits like bananas, mangoes, oranges, pineapples, and watermelons cultivated widely. The banana market in the country is developed due to exports and local demand by consumers.
- Tanzania and Uganda produce over 50% of all bananas on the African continent. Banana is part of the staple diet and one of the ten main food crops in the country. Most bananas (over 70%) are grown in Tanzania's Kagera, Kilimanjaro, and Mbeya regions. Morogoro, Kigoma, Mara, Arusha, Manyara, Ruvuma, Tanga, and Coast are other regions producing a significant amount of bananas.
- The global export value of the banana trade was estimated at USD 8.9 billion before the outbreak of COVID-19, with a retail value standing between USD 20 billion and USD 25 billion annually. The market is flourishing due to the increased consumer demand, and thus, organizations are putting efforts into producing new varieties.
- For instance, the Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute developed 16 new drought- and disease-resistant banana hybrid varieties in the three predominantly banana-producing regions of Mbeya, Kilimanjaro, and Kagera. Such factors may drive the demand for bananas in the country.
Tanzania Agriculture Market Recent Developments
- September 2022: Tanzania's Ministry of Agriculture directed the Tanzania Agriculture Research Institute (TARI) to find a location for genetically engineered (GE) crop trials. This decision appeared to overturn the Tanzanian government's (GoT) 2021 ban on all GE crop research trials.
- July 2022: The African Development Bank Group has approved USD 73.5 million to increase food production in Tanzania by a million tonnes over three years.
- February 2022 : AgriFI, the EU-funded Agriculture Financing Initiative, and ElectrFI, the EU-funded Electrification Financing Initiative, hosted a signing ceremony and launch event on 16 February 2022 as part of the 7th edition of the EU-Africa Business Forum (EABF).
Tanzania Agriculture Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Crop Type(Production Analysis by Volume, Consumption Analysis by Volume and Value, Import Analysis by Volume and Value, Export Analysis by Volume and Value, and Price Trend Analysis)
5.1.1 Food Crops/Cereals
6. REGIONAL ANALYSIS
6.1 PESTLE Analysis
6.2 Supply Chain Analysis
6.3 Government Policies
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Distribution Network and Retail Analysis
7.2 List of Distributors/Traders
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Tanzania Agriculture Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Agriculture in Tanzania market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Agriculture in Tanzania?
The Agriculture in Tanzania is growing at a CAGR of 4.2% over the next 5 years.
Agriculture in TanzaniaIndustry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Agriculture in sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Agriculture in research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Agriculture in report PDF.