Acetic Acid Industry Overview
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Acetic Acid Market Analysis
The acetic acid market size is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period.
The COVID-19 pandemic negatively impacted the market in 2021. The declining automotive industry, along with the temporary shutdown of automotive manufacturing units and various construction projects due to the ongoing uncertain pandemic regulations, declined the usage of adhesives, paints, and coatings, thus negatively impacting the demand for acetic acid. Work stoppages due to measures imposed by various government authorities across the world in an attempt to slow the spread of the virus and workforce shortages due to illness and preventative quarantines impacted most end-user industries, such as textiles, food and beverage, automotive, and construction, thereby affecting the growth of the acetic acid market.
- Over the short term, the increasing demand for purified terephthalic acid (PTA) from the textile and packaging industry and the growing use of ester solvents in the paints and coatings industry are driving the growth of the acetic acid market.
- Environmental concerns regarding the harmful effects of acetic acid are hindering the growth of the market.
- The development of new separation technologies to increase the production efficiency of acetic acid is expected to create opportunities for the market during the forecast period.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market. It is also expected to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Acetic Acid Industry Segments
Acetic acid is a monocarboxylic acid containing two carbons. It is a clear, colorless liquid with a strong, pungent odor, like vinegar. Acetic acid can be derived from the carbonylation of methanol, oxidation of acetaldehyde and ethylene, and biological method like bacterial fermentation.
The acetic acid market is segmented by derivative, end-user industry, and geography. By derivative, the market is segmented into vinyl acetate monomer, purified terephthalic acid, ethyl acetate, acetic anhydride, and other derivatives. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into plastics and polymers, food and beverage, adhesives, paints and coatings, textile, medical, and other end-user industries. By geography, the market is segmented into Asia-Pacific, North America, Europe, South America, and the Middle East and Africa. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the acetic acid market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done in terms of volume in kilo tons.
|Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM)|
|Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA)|
|Plastics and Polymers|
|Food and Beverage|
|Adhesives, Paints, and Coatings|
Acetic Acid Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Acetic Acid Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Applications in the Adhesives, Paints, and Coatings Industry
- Vinyl acetate monomer (VAM) is used in producing water-based paints, adhesives, waterproofing coatings, and paper and paperboard coatings. PTA-based polyesters and polyamides are also used in hot-melt adhesives. PTA is even used in paints as a carrier.
- Acetic acid and Its derivatives are used in the production of adhesives and sealants, which are used in the automotive industry. The COVID-19 pandemic negatively impacted the automotive industry and its associated industries, including adhesives and sealants, since the whole value chain was disturbed due to the pandemic.
- In 2021, about 80.15 million vehicles were produced globally. In the last two decades, the global automotive industry perceived a lot of transformation along with the growing EV market (Electronic Vehicles).
- The growth of the market for automotive adhesives and sealants is directly proportional to the growth of the acetic acid market. However, further improvement in safety standards worldwide is expected to drive the demand for acetic acid during the forecast period.
- The EV (electric vehicle) industry has exhibited high growth in the past few years across the world. For instance, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA), existing global policies point toward rapid growth over the next decade. The EV stock across all modes (excluding two/three-wheelers) would reach around 145 million in 2030, accounting for 7% of the road vehicle fleet. Since paints and coatings are used in electric vehicle manufacturing, it is anticipated to drive the market for acetic acid during the forecast period.
- Acetic acid and its derivatives are used in many construction products, such as paints, thinners, and glues. Increasing construction activities in countries such as China, India, the United States, and Brazil is projected to positively influence the market for end-user products of acetic acid.
- However, the market for acetic acid has grown globally post-pandemic. End-user industries are expected to pick up the pace during the later stage of the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is the largest consumer of acetic acid in the global market. The Asia-Pacific market is anticipated to be the largest market for the textile industry, owing to its strong industrial base.
- Acetic acid is widely used in greases, coatings, polyesters, and sealants, which have extensive applications in numerous industries, such as electronics, automobiles, textiles, and packaging. The extensive growth in these industries represents one of the major factors driving the market growth in the Asia-Pacific region.
- China is the largest exporter and producer of chemicals in the Asia-Pacific region and globally. The major factor augmenting production is the growing demand from the Chinese chemical industry, coupled with population growth. Chemicals produced by Chinese manufacturers have been exported to more than 100 countries and regions in the world.
- With the growing global demand for various chemicals, the demand for intermediates, such as acetic acid, from this sector is expected to increase significantly during the forecast period.
- In 2021, Asia-Pacific’s VAM market volume was around 5 million ton, and it is expected to reach approximately 9.079 million ton by 2030, with a growth rate of over 5.7%, which, in turn, will stimulate the demand for the acetic acid market.
- Due to the abovementioned factors, the market for acetic acid in the region is expected to have a steady growth during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Acetic Acid Market Competitor Analysis
The acetic acid market is fragmented in nature. Some of the major players in the market include (not in any particular order) Celanese Corporation, INEOS, Jiangsu SOPO (Group) Co. Ltd, LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV, and Eastman Chemical Company.
Acetic Acid Market Top Players
Jiangsu SOPO (Group) Co., Ltd.
LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
Eastman Chemical Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Acetic Acid Market Recent Developments
- January 2021: INEOS acquired BP’s global Aromatics & Acetyls business, which includes 15 different global production sites andten0 joint ventures, to further strengthen its geographical reach and enhance its product portfolio.
Acetic Acid Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM)
4.1.2 Increasing Demand from the Textile and Packaging Industry
4.1.3 Increasing Use of Ester Solvents in the Paints and Coating Industry
4.2.1 Environmental Concerns Regarding the Harmful Effects
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
5.1 By Derivative
5.1.1 Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM)
5.1.2 Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA)
5.1.3 Ethyl Acetate
5.1.4 Acetic Anhydride
5.1.5 Other Derivatives
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Plastics and Polymers
5.2.2 Food and Beverage
5.2.3 Adhesives, Paints, and Coatings
5.2.7 Other Applications
5.3 By Geography
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Celanese Corporation
6.4.2 Chang Chun Group
6.4.3 Daicel Corporation
6.4.4 Eastman Chemical Company or its Subsidiaries
6.4.5 GNFC Limited
6.4.7 Jiangsu SOPO (Group) Co. Ltd
6.4.8 Kanoria Chemicals & Industries Ltd
6.4.10 Kingboard Holdings Limited
6.4.11 LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV
6.4.12 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
6.4.13 PetroChina Company Limited
6.4.16 Shandong Hualu-Hengsheng Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.17 Shanghai Wujing Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.18 Showa Denko KK
6.4.20 Svensk Etanolkemi AB (SEKAB)
6.4.21 Tanfac Industries Ltd
6.4.22 Wacker Chemie AG
6.4.23 Yankuang Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Development of New Separation Technologies to Increase the Production Efficiency
Acetic Acid Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Acetic Acid Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Acetic Acid Market?
The Acetic Acid Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Acetic Acid Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Acetic Acid Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Acetic Acid Market?
Celanese Corporation, INEOS, Jiangsu SOPO (Group) Co., Ltd., LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V., Eastman Chemical Company are the major companies operating in Acetic Acid Market.
Acetic Acid Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Acetic Acid sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Acetic Acid research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Acetic Acid report PDF.