|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The white cement market size was estimated at over 18 million ton in 2020, and the market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 3% during the forecast period.
The outbreak of COVID-19 is likely to bring several short-term and long-term consequences in the construction industry, which is likely to affect the demand for white cement. According to the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), about 16% of the projects in the United States will experience a shortage of raw materials or equipment, 11% of the projects will see a shortage of craft workers, including subcontractors, 18% of the projects will witness a shortage of government workers, and 8% of the projects will be disrupted by an infected worker, which may have a potential to infect a worksite. Additionally, most of the countries, like India, Italy, France, Poland, the United Kingdom, South Africa, and New Zealand, went into lockdown. Moreover, owing to restrictive mass quarantines due to coronavirus, the construction industry has been impacted, as the workers kept themselves away from the project sites. In India, the construction workers are kept away from work sites, which has halted almost 20,000 ongoing projects in the country.
- Over the long term, the growing construction industry in Asia-pacific and the substitution of grey cement due to white cements' superior characteristics will drive the market. For instance, there has been an increase in investments in the Chinese infrastructure sector in the recent past. China’s transport ministry and National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) invested ~USD 688.5 billion between 2016 and 2018 for constructing 303 key infrastructure projects, which include railways, highways, waterways, airports, and urban rail. A USD 4.5 billion worth of investments is being made to develop Nanhui New City, a planned city. Construction began in 2003 and is scheduled to be completed in 2020, and it aims to attract 450,000 residents and 10 million tourists annually.
- Increasing focus on innovation and artistic and aesthetic senses in architecture is likely to act as an opportunity.
- High production cost is likely to restrain the market over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption in a country such as India, China, etc.
Scope of the Report
White cement is used instead of gray cement for its heat reflecting properties and aesthetic appearance. The white cement market is segmented in product type, application, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into Type I cement, Type III cement, and other product types. By application, the market is segmented into residential, commercial, infrastructure, and industrial, and institutional. Among these, infrastructure has a huge hold of the white cement market. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the white cement market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (million ton).
|Type I Cement|
|Type III Cement|
|Other Product Types|
|Industrial and Institutional|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for the Infrastructure Segment
- White cement is often used in combination with pigments to impart attractive colors and shades to mortars and concretes, something which is not possible with ordinary grey cement, as it results in dull colors.
- White cement-based plasters are used for swimming pools and for covering facades, as they are highly durable and require lesser maintenance than painted surfaces. This aids the growth of the infrastructure segment of the market studied. Additionally, the development of smart cities is expected to provide a major boost to the market studied.
- The ability of white concrete to be cast in any shape makes it ideal for monuments, sculptures, and for the restoration of various archeological sites across the world.
- Its high compressive strength reduces the costs by eliminating steam curing and increases the production speed in prefabricated applications.
- The chemical purity and uniformity of white cement are quite useful for application in many complex formulations of construction materials, such as insulation, water-tight coatings, anchorage, joint filers, mortars, and others.
- China is currently the world’s biggest producer and consumer of white cement. Cementir Holding SpA is currently the world’s biggest white cement manufacturer.
- With a total investment of CNY 47.14 billion, the expansion of Xianyang International Airport, with the aim of being able to handle 83 million passengers by 2030, is one of the major infrastructure projects in China.
- As a part of the ‘Investing in Canada Plan,’ the government is in plans to make an investment of nearly USD 140 billion for major infrastructure developments in the country by 2028. Some of the major upcoming projects in Canada are Réseau électrique métropolitain (USD 6.3 billion), Toronto’s Eglinton Crosstown LRT (USD 5.3 billion), Gordie Howe International Bridge (USD 5.7 billion), etc.
- In March 2019, Bordeaux Airport launched the first major construction project of its new investment plan in France, which includes the expansion of Bordeaux-Merignac airport. The company planned an investment of EUR 140 million in the project, which may help increase the passenger handling capacity to 10 million in 2023, from 6.8 million in 2018.
- Various construction investments and projects have been halted during the first half of 2020, owing to the COVID-19 impact across various parts of the world. This has negatively affected the construction sector in 2020. However, with the easing of lockdown regulations and continuation of projects, investors have been focusing on investing in the sector.
- All the aforementioned factors are augmenting the growth of construction activities, thus, driving the demand for white cement.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Region
- In Asia-Pacific, China is the largest economy in terms of GDP. In 2019, the country witnessed about 6.1% growth in its GDP, despite having trade disturbance caused due to its trade war with the United States. Currently, the growth rate of the Chinese economy has been severely hit by the COVID-19 outbreak. According to IMF, the country’s economy is expected to slow down to 1.9% in 2020 while recovering to 8.2% growth in 2021.
- The country is one of the worst affected nations, with the virus outbreak beginning in the country itself. All the major industries have taken a major hit, as the entire nation has gone into a self-quarantine situation for around 72 days to contain the virus outbreak.
- The construction industry grew at a strong pace in 2019 (construction output value as shown in the graph), even though the growth slowed down during the year, compared to 2018. The construction sector has supported the economic growth in the country whenever a major slowdown occurred.
- China’s 13th Five Year Plan started in 2016 (2016-2021), and it was an important year for the country’s engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) industries. In addition, the country ventured into new business models domestically and internationally during the year. Although the construction sector slowed down after 2013, it has still a major contributor to the GDP of the country, witnessing steady growth in the recent past.
- The infrastructure sector is an important pillar for the growth of any economy. The governments are taking various initiatives to ensure the time-bound development of infrastructure.
- Even the non-residential infrastructure sector is also expected to grow considerably. The aging population in the country is creating demand for the construction of healthcare facilities and new hospitals. The structural changes happening in the Chinese economy in the past few years as the service sector is taking a larger and larger share in the total GDP has given rise to the construction of huge commercial and office spaces.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the country's industrial output went up 4.8 percent, faster than 4.4 percent expansion in May after a slump in the first quarter. Overall in the first half of 2020, the industrial output fell by 1.3%, mainly dragged down by an 8.4% slump in the first quarter. This is expected to negatively affect the industrial expansion, in turn affecting the industrial construction growth in the country in the current year.
- The local governments in the country are permitted to issue special bonds worth around CNY 3 trillion (USD 426.20 billion) in 2020 for funding infrastructure projects, including CNY 1 trillion, which is front-loaded to this year. Furthermore, the central bank is likely to ease its policy to lower the corporate funding costs and encourage lending. Besides, there are numerous airport projects in line for construction within the forecast period.
- As of May 2019 statistics, China holds around 235 airports, which the government plans to increase airports to 260 by 2020. In this regard, some of the airport construction projects, which are either in development or in the planning stage, include Beijing Capital International Airport, Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport, Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport, and Xianyang International Airport expansion. Besides, the government’s long-term targets remain around 450 airports for the country by 2035.
- Hence, all such construction investments and projects planned in the country are projected to drive the domestic consumption of the white cement market over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The white cement market is consolidated. Some of the major players include Cementir Holding N.V, Çimsa Çimento Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş, Aditya Birla (Grasim Industries Limited), Royal White Cement, and LafargeHolcim, among others.
- In May 2019, J.K. Cement launched white cement-based universal water-proof putty, J.K. Cement ShieldMaxX, across Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, and West Bengal.
- In Feb 2019, J.K. Cement announced its plans to spend INR 1,700 crore on enhancing its production capacity to 15 million metric ton by the end of 2020, from 10 MT at present. Additionally, entering the markets, such as Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh, may lead to the addition of 1 MT grinding capacity at the company’s plants in Nimbahera and Mangrol.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Construction Industry in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Substituting Gray Cement Due to Superior Characteristics
4.2.1 High Production Cost
4.2.2 Unsuitability for Heavy Construction Projects, like Bridges and Buildings
4.2.3 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to the Impact of COVID-19
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Production Capacities
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Type I Cement
5.1.2 Type III Cement
5.1.3 Other Product Types
5.2.4 Industrial and Institutional
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/ Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ACC Limited
6.4.2 OYAK Adana Cement
6.4.3 Aditya Birla (Grasim Industries Limited)
6.4.4 Ambuja Cements Ltd
6.4.5 Cementos Portland Valderrivas
6.4.6 HEIDELBERGCEMENT AG
6.4.7 Cementir Holding NV
6.4.8 Çimsa Çimento Sanayi ve Ticaret AŞ
6.4.9 Fars & Khuzestan Cement Co.
6.4.10 Federal White Cement
6.4.11 India Cements Ltd
6.4.12 JK Cement Ltd
6.4.13 Kuwait Cement Company
6.4.15 Royal White Cement
6.4.17 Shargh White
6.4.18 UNION Corp.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Focus on Innovation and Artistic and Aesthetic Senses in Architecture
7.2 Other Opportunities
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The White Cement Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of White Cement Market?
The White Cement Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in White Cement Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in White Cement Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in White Cement Market?
Cementir Holding N.V., Çimsa Çimento Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş, Royal White Cement , LafargeHolcim, Aditya Birla (Grasim Industries Limited) are the major companies operating in White Cement Market.