Lingerie Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Lingerie Market Analysis
The Lingerie market is valued at USD 76,170.1 million in the current year and is projected to register a CAGR of 8.02% during the forecast period.
- In the past few years, the innerwear and lingerie industry has witnessed robust growth, which is expected to continue. Consumers, primarily women, are more concerned about their dress and comfort. They are mainly influenced by commercial advertisements, movies, entertainment channels, and other modes which propel lingerie sales.
- For women, each type of dress needs to have a particular kind of lingerie that brings out the features of their bodies; this is also one of the major factors in the market's growth. Due to this, the market players are increasing the product variations for the utmost comfort and fashion in the industry. In June 2021, Thinx, a Mas Holdings brand, launched improved plus-size period underwear. Ranging from XS to 4X, Thinx designed this lineup of period panties with true plus dimensions. Every style was tested on menstruating bodies of every size to analyze fit and function.
- The change in outlook toward underwear and lingerie from being a necessity to fashion products to complement a toned body has been a major factor driving the demand for fashionable lingerie. The increasing availability of a broad range of products in multiple designs for various purposes, such as sports, bridal wear, and regular wear, has also been driving market growth. The major players in the market are also launching new brands and entering into mergers and acquisitions with other companies to expand their product portfolios and innovate new products.
- For instance, in August 2022, Victoria's Secret & Co. launched its new lingerie brand Elomi. The brand is supposed to have innovative, colorful, and perfect-fit products, and it is also expected to offer more than 100 sizes. Therefore, all the aforesaid factors are expected to propel the growth of the lingerie market.
Lingerie Industry Segments
Lingerie is a category of women's clothing that includes shapewear, undergarments, and others. This line of garments for women includes bras, briefs, and camisoles, among others.
The lingerie market is segmented by product type, distribution channel, and geography. Based on product type, the market is segmented into brassiere, briefs, and other product types. Based on distribution channels, the market is segmented into supermarkets/hypermarkets, specialty stores, online retail stores, and other distribution channels. Based on geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Middle East and Africa.
For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of the value (in USD million).
|Other Product Types|
|Online Retail Stores|
|Other Distribution Channels|
Lingerie Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Lingerie Market according to our research experts:
Growing Influence of Endorsements and Aggressive Marketing
- In an age of diversity, the lingerie industry has significantly shifted over the past few years. With the growing importance of social media in a shopper's purchase journey, companies are evolving and stepping up their advertising and endorsement game across different distribution channels to garner consumer attention. Celebrities endorsing or promoting their products can help brands raise awareness, trust, and familiarity, all of which are essential factors in the purchase decision-making process.
- Consumers feel more sympathetic toward a brand if its products are promoted by a celebrity they admire or relate to. Furthermore, for the past ten years, American professional tennis player Serena Williams has worn Berleibras in every match she has played, a subtle endorsement moves by the brassiere manufacturer to promote its products by becoming an official sponsor of the athlete. As a result, the aggressive marketing tactics used by these major players are expected to propel market growth.
- In May 2021, French luxury lingerie brand Simone Pérèle launched a campaign showcasing its new lingerie line titled “Simone & Simone Pérèle,” which features models Sarah Ellen, Olive Cooke, and Talissa Sutton, with the trio showcasing a selection of the iconic brand’s signature feminine lingerie styles.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Largest Consumer Base for Lingerie is in Asia-Pacific
- Asia-Pacific has the largest lingerie market due to the presence of a large number of end-users in the region. The growing popularity of e-commerce, rising disposable incomes, and changing consumer preferences are expected to drive lingerie sales in this region.
- Additionally, lingerie designers and popular lingerie brands like Berrymelon, Victoria’s Secret, La Perla, Agent Provocateur, and Neiwai, among others, have been enticing consumers with the usage of lace, embroidery, luxurious fabrics, and lighter hues in their lingerie, which is further expected to boost the demand for lingerie during the forecast period.
- Lingerie manufacturers have been introducing gender-fluid, body-inclusive, and vegan variants for sustainability-conscious consumers, especially millennials and the growing generation Z population. Therefore, brands like "Inner Sense“, the flagship brand of Green Ideology, an organic cotton and bamboo fiber manufacturing company, claim to offer skin-friendly lingerie with unique fiber with natural anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. The brand claims to provide India's first premium organic anti-microbial lingerie.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Lingerie Market Competitor Analysis
The lingerie market is highly fragmented and intensely competitive, with the presence of numerous local and international players competing for a leading position in the market. Hansbrands Inc., Victoria's Secret & Co., and PVH Corp. are some major players, followed by Triumph International, Jockey International, Wacoal Holdings, and Zivame, among others. The key industry participants operate across various geographies with wide-ranging product lines to gain a competitive advantage. In May 2022, American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. announced the expansion of its retail presence in India through franchisees. The company aims to add another 50 stores in India over the next three years. Leading companies are focused on new product launches by directing their investment in new materials and design technology to cater to evolving consumer needs.
Lingerie Market Top Players
Jockey International, Inc.
Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation
Victoria's Secret & Co.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Lingerie Market Recent Developments
- November 2022: Victoria's Secret & Co. announced a 100% acquisition of Adore Me Inc., a digitally native intimate brand. The acquisition is designed to help the lingerie and beauty product retailer expand its online and offline audience.
- May 2022: Triumph International (India), one of the world's leading manufacturers of lingerie, unveiled its 2022 collection for brand 'Triumph', its sportswear brand 'Triaction' along with their sister brand 'sloggi' - the world's most comfortable innerwear brand, at the 12th Annual Triumph Fashion Show.
- February 2022: MAS Holdings partnered with ByondXR, a well-known digital retail store software, to create virtual showrooms that aim at enhancing the retail experience. Through this collaboration, MAS may showcase its new collections to global brands in virtual showrooms.
Lingerie Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.3 Other Product Types
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Specialty Stores
5.2.3 Online Retail Stores
5.2.4 Other Distribution Channels
5.3.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Strategies Adopted By Leading Players
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Hansbrands Inc.
6.3.2 Jockey International Inc.
6.3.3 Victoria's Secret & Co.
6.3.4 Triumph International
6.3.5 MAS Holdings
6.3.6 Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
6.3.8 PVH Corp.
6.3.9 Aimer Group
6.3.10 Wacoal Holdings Corp.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Lingerie Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Lingerie Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Lingerie Market?
The Lingerie Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.02% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Lingerie Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Lingerie Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Lingerie Market?
Jockey International, Inc., Triumph International, Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation, Victoria's Secret & Co. , Hanesbrands Inc. are the major companies operating in Lingerie Market.
Lingerie Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Lingerie sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Lingerie research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Lingerie report PDF.