Visible Light Communication Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Visible Light Communication Market Analysis
The visible light communication market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 101% over the forecast period. This technology will eliminate the need for other wireless technologies, such as Infrared (IR), Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi emit Electromagnetic interference (EMI) and RF waves that harm both instruments/devices and humans. However, the market is currently in the emerging phase, and prototypes are being developed.
- The primary driver behind the high-speed VLC is the rapidly growing presence of LEDs in practically every signaling or illumination entity. By 2020, most new energy-efficient lighting installations are expected to be LED-based. Consequently, these bulbs can transmit at high speeds, impossible with conventional light bulb technologies such as fluorescent and incandescent lamps. According to research, the global LED penetration in the lighting market is estimated to reach 61% in 2020.
- Another critical driver for VLC systems comes from the plethora of wireless applications. According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), a spectrum deficit (i.e., lack of usable radio frequencies for new wireless applications) is expected due to exponential growth in demand for wireless transmission capacity.
- The problem of congestion of the radio spectrum utilized by Wi-Fi and cellular radio systems is further facilitating investments for the development of the market for VLC. Technology innovations addressing challenges, such as line of sight (LOS) requirements, reliability and network coverage issues, and system setup complexities, would attract end-user interest in adopting VLC technology.
- However, a lack of awareness about this technology may hamper the growth of the visible light communication market. Since the technology is still emerging, prototypes are being developed. Further advancements in optoelectronic devices/materials are expected to open up new opportunities for applying this technology.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly disrupted the day-to-day operations of various organizations across the industries. However, with the enormous growth in the number of COVID-19 patients worldwide, hospitals and medical facilities face a severe challenge in treating patients.
- Various technologies, such as UV-LED, CT Scans, and other radiography technologies, amongst different other technologies, are being developed and used by these medical facilities and hospitals for early detection and diagnosis of the disease, further increasing the timely treatment of the patients.
Visible Light Communication Industry Segments
Visible Light Communication(VLC) systems are being developed to be used for creating ultra-high-speed, secure, and biologically friendly communication networks that allow the creation and expansion of seamless computing applications. Such systems use modulated light wavelengths emitted by a variety of suitably adapted conventional sources, such as outdoor and indoor lighting, illuminated signs, displays, televisions, computer screens, digital cameras, and digital cameras on mobile phones for communication purposes, majorly through the use of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs).
|Light Emitting Diodes|
|Software and Services|
|By Transmission Type|
|Defense and Security|
Visible Light Communication Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Visible Light Communication Market according to our research experts:
Automotive and Transportation Segment Expected to Witness a Significant Growth
- Traffic management is a broad segment facing numerous challenges with the increasing population and vehicles on the road. The amount of data transferred through Wi-Fi on the street is neither sufficient nor secure enough for effective management. Apart from aiding traffic management, a promising application for VLC is in vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication.
- Most car headlights and tail lights are being replaced with LEDs. VLC can transform these LEDs for car-to-car communication. This factor can improve anti-collision systems and facilitate the exchange of a range of information between vehicles.
- As traffic lights use LED lighting, it is an emerging opportunity in citywide traffic management systems, like pedestrian signals and traffic signals using VLC. For instance, street lights communicating with a pedestrian’s VLC-equipped smartphone can regulate vehicle traffic, allowing pedestrians to cross a street.
- VLC technology in traffic systems allows drivers to use smart devices or car headlights to connect and generate information from traffic lighting systems. This information can also be transmitted to other cars using tail lights. Information, such as traffic updates, the shortest estimated arrival time to a specific location (considering traffic congestion), or even internet access, can be communicated through this technology.
- However, drivers may use smart devices while driving, which may be challenging. The ideal way to overcome this challenge is to incorporate a visual communication system and use the vehicle’s headlights to send information. However, the efficiency of these intelligent traffic systems may be affected due to noise, which may impact the adoption rate of VLC systems.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Account for the Largest Market Share
- North America is the most prominent market for VLC due to increasing investment in R&D in advanced technological solutions, such as artificial intelligence, sustainable energy projects, and big data analytics. The major wireless network providers in the region, such as Telus Corp, Rogers Communications Inc., and BCE Inc.'s Bell Mobility, are investing heavily in R&D activities in VLC, along with 5G technology, increasing their market share among the wireless and internet service providers. Implementing Li-Fi technology is expected to boost the U.S. economy, aid economic growth, and create job opportunities.
- The United States is the most prominent market for VLC technology, owing to increasing investments in R&D in advanced technological solutions, such as artificial intelligence, sustainable energy projects, and Big Data analytics. The United States is the first to install 5G wireless networks, making the country the global test bed for LTE services and apps.
- The lighting industry is embracing new ground-breaking business opportunities through VLC, as data transmission governs all the significant sectors in the United States, including the government. Further, government initiatives, such as "Gigabit Communities," that help make the United States one of the high capacity and super-fast ubiquitous broadband networks, enhance the adoption of VLC opportunities.
- Increasing indoor location-based services embedded with light fixtures in retail shops and hotels in the North American region are also projected to be one of the factors driving revenue growth in the region. Several companies, such as G.E. Lightings and ByteLight Inc., are deploying VLC installations in supermarkets, which, in turn, is aiding retailers in tying customers' shopping history by tracking their location details.
- The defense sector contributes significantly toward developing the VLC market in the United States. For instance, the navy has recently conducted experimental operations on securing naval communications using Li-Fi technology. The Office of Naval Research is reportedly working with firms to develop the Tactical Line-of-Sight Optical Network (TALON), which would use Li-Fi for ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore communication.
- Further, In October 2021, pureLiFi entered into a USD 4.2 million agreement with the U.S. Army in Europe and Africa to supply its secure optical wireless communication system Kitefin. The system uses LiFi, an alternative to radio technologies such as WiFi, for secure data transmission without radio frequencies.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Visible Light Communication Market Competitor Analysis
The Visible Light Communication Market is neither highly competitive nor has a limited number of players. It is an emerging market with newer pipeline technologies, further creating potential visible light communication technology.
- July 2021 – Signify joined HomeGrid Forum to expand the innovation and deployment of new technology for Light Fidelity (LiFi) applications. Signify provides a visible light communication system LiFi for fast, wireless, and secure connection by using light waves instead of radio signals.
- July 2021 - On Semiconductor announced new LED driver ICs NCL31000 and NCL31001, simplifying solid-state lighting (SSL) product development with smart-lighting feature sets to provide connectivity. The LED driver ICs will support Internet of Things (IoT) applications that include visible light communications (VLC) and indoor positioning.
- May 2021 - Airbus Corporate Jets (ACJ) partnered with Latecoere Interconnection Systems, an electronic wiring interconnection (EWIS) supplier. The partnership will develop the Light Fidelity (Li-Fi) in-flight entertainment (IFE) monitor, an aircraft manufacturer's first technology for next-generation communication systems.
Visible Light Communication Market Top Players
Koninklijke Philips NV
Firefly Wireless Networks LLC
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Visible Light Communication Market Recent Developments
- December 2021 – Lucibel SA announced the 3rd generation of its LiFi luminaire, a very disruptive technology to give access to the internet by light; this is a light communication technology that creates high speed and bidirectional connection between a terminal and a luminaire. The features of 3rdgen LiFi are a secure connection in the light cone, a Wireless connection without radio waves, and Low latency.
Visible Light Communication Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Competition from other Wireless Communication Technologies
5.1.2 High Demand for Building Smart City Infrastructure
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Threat from Government Policies and Lack of Awareness
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Component
6.1.1 Light Emitting Diodes
6.1.4 Software and Services
6.2 By Transmission Type
6.3 By Application
6.3.1 Consumer Electronics
6.3.2 Defense and Security
6.3.4 Public Infrastructure
6.3.5 Life Sciences
6.3.6 Other Applications
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
6.4.3 Asia Pacific
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.4.4 Latin America
184.108.40.206 Rest of Latin America
6.4.5 Middle East and Africa
220.127.116.11 United Arab Emirates
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Koninklijke Philips NV
7.1.2 LVX System
7.1.3 Bytelight Inc. (A Acuity Brand’s Company)
7.1.4 Panasonic Corporation
7.1.5 Purelifi Ltd
7.1.7 Lucibel SA
7.1.8 Outstanding Technology Co. Ltd
7.1.9 Axrtek Company
7.1.10 Firefly Wireless Networks LLC
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Visible Light Communication Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Visible Light Communication Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Visible Light Communication Market?
The Visible Light Communication Market is growing at a CAGR of 101% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Visible Light Communication Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Visible Light Communication Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Visible Light Communication Market?
LVX System, Panasonic Corporation, Lucibel SA, Koninklijke Philips NV, Firefly Wireless Networks LLC are the major companies operating in Visible Light Communication Market.
Visible Light Communication Industry Report
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Visible Light Communication Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Visible Light Communication Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Visible Light Communication Market report PDF.