US Wine Market Size
|Study Period:||2016 -2027|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
US Wine Market Analysis
The US wine market is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 1.47% over the forecast period. The US wine market is the largest of its kind in the world due to its high population, backed up by high disposable incomes. Moreover, wines have been popular in the country for centuries, and the local market has been growing with the migration of people from vivid cultural backgrounds who are introducing new flavors to the market.
- According to the United States Department of Commerce, wine sales in the United States increased in 2021 as compared to the previous. The wine sales were 435.1 million 9-liter cases in 2020, whereas the sales amounted to approximately 450.6 million 9-liter cases in 2021. Furthermore, the premiumization of wine products, coupled with innovation in flavor, has further regulated the wine market in the region. The increase in the demand for wine in the US market has been creating lucrative opportunities for various players in the market.
- Another emerging trend in the market segment includes the demand for organic wine, which currently represents a small portion of the overall wine market; its production and consumption have grown recently as a result of growing consumer interest in health and wellness. Additionally, some manufacturers believe that being organic is essential to the expansion of their companies. Owing to the above factors, the players have been expanding their reach across the region and using various strategies to penetrate the market further.
- For instance, in September 2022, Invivo X, Sarah Jessica Parker's wine brand SJP expanded in the United States Market, and the Sauvignon Blanc was claimed to be offered at 1,173 Kroger stores across the region. Through its physical shops and website, Kroger claims to be serving more than 11 million people every day. However, as United States consumers are readily opting for nutrition-packed beverages, the wine market in the country is likely to show a sluggish growth rate as the market has already reached its saturation.
US Wine Industry Segmentation
The United States wine market is segmented by product type, color, and distribution channel. By product type, the market is segmented into still wine, sparkling wine, and other product types. By color, the market is segmented into red wine, rose wine, white wine, and other colors. Based on the distribution channel, the market is classified as on-trade and off-trade channels. The off-trade channel is further classified into supermarkets/hypermarkets, specialty stores, online retail channels, and other distribution channels. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on value (in USD million).
|Other Product Types|
US Wine Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the US Wine Market according to our research experts:
Extensive Vineyard Area Anticipated to Strengthen the Market
- The United States has a large number of wine producers, and wine products have become a significant meal accompaniment in the country. The innovation in terms of flavor, color, and packaging customizations has led to increased sales of wines across the country. Nevertheless, to satiate the high demand, considerable land area has been converted into vineyards to cater to the need for grapes that would be highly priced if sourced from outside the United States.
- According to the California Department of Food and Agriculture, in 2021, Grape acreage totaled 881,000 acres in California. The total grape cultivation for the production of wine accounted for 615,000 acres, while the table-type grape acreage totaled 128,000 acres. The total acreage of raisin-type grapes was 138,000 acres. The manufacturers, thus, procure grapes in bulk from these vineyards to produce wines at lower prices and fulfill the demand for locally produced wines. This allows them to produce the wines at lower costs and offer them at competitive prices across the region, driving the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing Demand for Imported Wine in the Country
- European countries, especially Italy, France, and Spain, have been major producers of wines for centuries due to the abundant availability of grapes for wine production and the increasing demand for their wines globally. The United States has been extensively importing premium wines from countries across the globe to fulfill demand, despite being a major ground for innumerable wine manufacturers. Thus, the continuous growth in the import of high-quality wines into the country is expected to cater to the strong consumer base and drive the country's wine market shortly.
- According to the UN Comtrade, the United States' sparkling wine imports increased from USD 1,304.72 million in 2020 to USD 1,910.5 million in 2021. Nonetheless, innovations in wine products and various flavors are likely to provide lucrative opportunities for the imported wine market in the United States. Top wine importers in the United States are Southern Wine and Spirits, Southern Glazers, Fredrick Wildman and Sons, Charmer Sunbelt Group, Youngs Market Company, Vine Street Imports, Wirtz Beverages, etc.
US Wine Industry Overview
The US wine market is competitive, with the presence of several global as well as domestic players. The major strategies used by players to grow their market share include launching innovative solutions amid the complex market situation to cater to the transforming consumption pattern of the local population. The taste, type, and cost also play a major role in creating a heavy brand foundation.
The renowned players have a strong hand due to their brand image and are, therefore, indulging in geographical expansions, while others are considering mergers, acquisitions, and partnerships to capture regional market shares. The top players in the United States wine market include The Wine Group, Diageo PLC, Bacardi Limited, Constellation Brands Inc., and E. & J. Gallo Winery.
US Wine Market Leaders
The Wine Group
Constellation Brands, Inc.
E. & J. Gallo Winery
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
US Wine Market News
- March 2022: Meiomi Wines announced the release of the Red Blend, adding another flavor sourced from Meiomi’s signature California regions. The company claims the product has the same premium taste that customers expect but with new, bold flavors and more options.
- February 2022: Ventessa by Mezzacorona launched a new wine brand for those seeking a naturally low-calorie wine option, thus, appealing to health-conscious consumers.
- May 2021: Treasury Wine Estates announced that the company had entered a long-term distribution agreement with Republic National Distributing Company (RNDC). The agreement will cover distribution in multiple markets in California with other states, including Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Mississippi, Utah, Wyoming, and Nebraska.
US Wine Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Still Wine
5.1.2 Sparkling Wine
5.1.3 Other Product Types
5.2.1 Red Wine
5.2.2 Rose Wine
5.2.3 White Wine
5.2.4 Other Colors
5.3 Distribution Channel
184.108.40.206 Specialty Stores
220.127.116.11 Online Retail Channels
18.104.22.168 Other Distribution Channels
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 E. & J. Gallo Winery
6.3.2 Constellation Brands, Inc.
6.3.3 The Wine Group
6.3.4 Bacardi Limited
6.3.5 Treasury Wine Estates
6.3.6 The Brown Forman Corporation
6.3.7 Andrew Peller Limited
6.3.8 Truett Hurst Inc.
6.3.9 Trinchero Family Estates
6.3.10 Bronco Wine Company
6.3.11 Diageo plc
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
US Wine Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The United States Wine Market market is studied from 2016 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of United States Wine Market?
The United States Wine Market is growing at a CAGR of 1.47% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in United States Wine Market?
The Wine Group, Diageo plc, Bacardi Limited, Constellation Brands, Inc., E. & J. Gallo Winery are the major companies operating in United States Wine Market.
United States Wine Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 United States Wine market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. United States Wine analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.