|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Pigments Market was valued at over USD 22 billion in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted due to COVID-19 in 2020. The disruption in the global supply chain coupled with reduced demand from various end-user industries such as paints and coatings, plastics, textiles, and others has negatively impacted the demand for pigments. The paints and coatings industry was severely impacted as the global automotive industry witnessed a decline in production in 2020 which was approximately 77.6 million units, down by 16% compared to 2019. Additionally, reduced demand from the construction industry owing to work stoppages and labor shortages has impacted the demand for paints and coatings, thereby impacting the pigments market.
- In the medium term, the major factors driving the market studied are rising demand from the paints and coatings industry in Asia-Pacific and consistent industrial developments in the Middle East and Asia-Pacific regions.
- On the flip side, factors such as stringent government regulations and negative impact of COVID-19 pandemic, are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Rising demand for reliable commercial products, like 3d printing material, is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan, etc.
Scope of the Report
The market is segmented by product type, application, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into inorganic, organic, and specialty pigments and other product types. By application, the market is segmented into paints and coatings, textiles, printing inks, plastics, leather, and other applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the Pigments Market in 17 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD Million).
|Specialty Pigments and Other Product Types|
|Paints and Coatings|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Paints and Coatings Industry
- Pigments are majorly used in paints and coatings production. These are engineered, enabling them with properties to withstand the tough demands, without compromising on the coating performance.
- In the construction industry, architectural and decorative coatings account for the largest consumption of pigments in their production. Thus, rising construction and infrastructure activities in Asia-Pacific is a major driver for the pigment market.
- Furthermore, in the automotive sector, paints and coatings are used in the interior, as well as exterior parts of the vehicle, as they impart protection and appeal to vehicles. They are used in metallic parts, as well as plastic vehicle components of automobiles.
- The primary reason for using automotive coatings is to protect the vehicle parts against various aggressive environmental agents, such as sunlight, corrosive materials, and environmental effects, such as acid rain, hot-cold shocks, stone chips, UV radiation can washing, and blowing sand, among others. In addition, these coatings are used in automotive body shops and repair centers for vehicle refinishing.
- According to the OICA data, the global automotive production declined by around 16% and reached 77.6 million units in 2020. The car sales declined by around 13.8% in 2020 compared to 2019 reaching a total of 77.97 million units.
- However, with growing concerns related to environmental pollution from petrol and diesel-based vehicles, the production of electric vehicles is expected to pick up pace over the next five years. This is likely to drive the demand for market studied over the forecast period.
- All the above mentioned factors, are expected to show significant impact on the market growth in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market, primarily due to the increasing demand for construction activities in China and India.
- In China, government spending has been increasing in the construction of affordable housing facilities, in order to cater to the housing demand. In India, the infrastructure sector has become one of the major focus areas for the government.
- China is investing USD 1.43 trillion in the next five years till 2025, in major construction projects. According to National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), the Shanghai plan includes an investment of USD 38.7 billion in the next three years, whereas Guangzhou has signed 16 new infrastructure projects with an investment of USD 8.09 billion.
- In China, demographics in country are expected to continue to spur the growth in residential construction. Rising household income levels combined with population migrating from rural to urban areas is expected to continue to drive demand for residential construction sector in the country.
- India is still a developing economy; the construction sector is one of the booming industries in the country. The infrastructure sector is an important pillar for the growth of the Indian economy. The government is taking various initiatives to ensure time-bound creation of excellent infrastructure in the country.
- In India, in the residential segment, the government is pushing huge projects in the next few years. The government’s ‘Housing for All’ initiative aims to build more than 20 million affordable homes for the urban poor by 2022. This will provide a significant boost to residential construction. Smart cities mission is another major project undertaken by the government which will construct more than 100 smart cities all over the country to achieve rapid urbanization in the country. In 2021-22 budget, smart cities mission has been given INR 6,450 crore as against INR 3,400 crore in the 2020-21 revised estimates.
- Thus, all such construction activities and favorable government measures are expected to boost the construction activities in the region, which is further projected to boost the demand for paint and coating, thereby, increasing the demand for pigments.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The market for pigments is consolidated with the top five players accounting for major market share. The major companies include DIC CORPORATION, The Chemours Company, Venator Materials PLC, KRONOS Worldwide, Inc., and Clariant, among others.
- In August 2019, BASF SE and the fine chemical company DIC Corporation announced that, they have reached an agreement on the acquisition of BASF’s global pigments business. The purchase price on a cash and debt-free basis is EUR 1.15 billion.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Demand from the Paints and Coatings Industry in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Consistent Industrial Developments in Middle East and Asia-Pacific Regions
4.1.3 Consistent Demand from the Textile Industry
4.2.1 Stringent Government Regulations
4.2.2 Negative Impact of COVID-19
4.2.3 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Patent Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
188.8.131.52 Titanium Dioxide
184.108.40.206 Zinc Oxide
5.1.3 Specialty Pigments and Other Product Types
5.2.1 Paints and Coatings
5.2.3 Printing Inks
5.2.6 Other Applications
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ALTANA AG
6.4.2 DIC CORPORATION
6.4.4 The Chemours Company
6.4.5 KRONOS Worldwide, Inc.
6.4.7 Sudarshan Chemical Industries Limited
6.4.8 Venator Materials PLC
6.4.9 Tronox Holdings plc
6.4.10 Merck KGaA
6.4.11 Pidilite Industries Ltd
6.4.12 Lomon Billions
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Shifting Focus toward Eco-friendly Products
7.2 Rising Demand for Reliable Commercial Products, like 3D Printing Material
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Pigments Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Pigments Market?
The Pigments Market is growing at a CAGR of >6% over the next 5 years.
What is Pigments Market size in 2016?
The Pigments Market is valued at 22 Billion USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Pigments Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Pigments Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Pigments Market?
Venator Materials PLC, KRONOS Worldwide, Inc., Clariant, The Chemours Company, DIC CORPORATION are the major companies operating in Pigments Market.