US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Volume (2023)||376.84 kilotons|
|Market Volume (2028)||434.95 kilotons|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||2.91 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market Analysis
The US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market size is expected to grow from 376.84 kilotons in 2023 to 434.95 kilotons by 2028, at a CAGR of 2.91% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The market was negatively impacted due to COVID-19 in 2020. Owing to the pandemic, the country went into lockdown to curb the spread of the virus. The supply chain disruptions, construction work stoppages, and labor shortages negatively affected the market. Due to the pandemic, construction activities have been halted and postponed in 2020. However, the condition is expected to recover in the post-pandemic period, restoring the growth trajectory and benefitting the market studied.
- Over the medium term, increasing construction activities in the country à nd growth in the packaging sector are expected to drive the market's growth.
- On the flip side, the availability of green alternatives and the slow economic growth of the country may hinder market growth.
- Recycling in the EPS industry is likely to act as an opportunity for market growth in the near future.
US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market Trends
Grey and Silver EPS Segment to Drive the Market Growth
- Manufacturers have created a highly competitive market for EPS by modifying the regular grade EPS. The addition of flame retardants, graphite, and other additives has introduced the segment of ‘modified’ EPS.
- White EPS is widely used in packaging fragile products as it exhibits shock absorption properties.
- The rising population, increased spending power, rapid urbanization, and retail sector development in regions, including Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East, are factors augmenting the growth of the packaging industry.
- Flexible packaging plays a pivotal role in reducing beverage and product waste and allows online brands to reinvigorate their packaging to enhance the e-commerce experience.
- Amazon’s packaging transition is a boost for the US flexible plastics industry. The company currently controls just over 49% of the US e-commerce market. Flexible materials are extensively used in the food and soft drinks industries in the United States, where many consumers actively seek quick and easy solutions that align with their time constraints.
- The above-mentioned factors are likely to affect the demand for gray and silver EPS during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Building and Construction Segment to Dominate the Market
- The United States is the world’s largest and most powerful economy. The United States is a major industrialized nation that houses multiple industries in heavy-scale, medium-scale, and small-scale categories. The country is known for its booming commercial activities.
- Grey EPS is one such innovation wherein the addition of graphite has increased its refractive and reflective properties to provide better thermal insulation. The graphite works on a very small scale to increase the refraction of IR light and make the path for the escaping heat less direct. It has a unique color (gray to black), good mechanical properties, high water resistance, and increased fire resistance. This allows for the use of the same equipment used to process conventional EPS.
- Due to its unique properties, it allows for a reduction in thermal conductivity by 20% and, thus, reduces the board thickness by 20% while still maintaining the same properties. It is used for insulating external walls, roof systems, foundations, floors, thermo-acoustic insulation, manufacturing insulated and left-in-place formwork, and lightweight building blocks.
- The use of EPS significantly improves both old and new buildings' insulation and helps meet the criteria for reducing power costs. It has the same density as white EPS; however, it isolates 20% better.
- This has made it particularly attractive in the United States, where people are becoming more inclined toward housing renovation and lower maintenance costs.
- The United States boasts a colossal construction sector that employs over 7.6 million employees. According to U.S. Census Bureau, in 2022, the value of construction was USD 1,792.9 billion, a 10.2 % (0.8 %) increase over the USD 1,626.4 billion spent in 2021.
- Further, as per further statistics generated by the US Census Bureau, the annual value for new construction put in place in the United States accounted for USD 1,657,590 million in 2022, compared to USD 1,499,822 million in 2021. Moreover, the annual value of residential construction put in place in the United States was valued at USD 849,164 million in 2022, compared to USD 740,645 million in 2021. The annual value of non-residential construction put in place in the country was valued at USD 808,427 million in 2022, compared to USD 759,177 million in 2021, thereby decreasing the consumption of the market studied in the short term.
- Thus, such trends in the construction sector are likely to influence the demand for EPS in the country during the forecast period.
US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Industry Overview
The US expandable polystyrene (EPS) market is highly consolidated, with the top players accounting for a major chunk of the market. Some of the key players in the market include Epsilyte Holdings LLC, NexKemia, Flint Hills Resources, Alpek S.A.B. de C.V., and SABIC.
US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market Leaders
Flint Hills Resources
Alpek S.A.B. de C.V.
Epsilyte Holdings LLC
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market News
- In January 2023, NexKemia announced the acquisition of Prevost, Quebec-based polystyrene scrap collection and recycling company Eco-Captation. Eco-Captation is a recycler of polystyrene in Quebec and has a special focus on post-consumer recycled materials.
- In July 2022, Epsilyte Holdings LLC announced the expansion of its production facilities in expandable polystyrene (EPS) plant in Illinois. This move will increase EPS capacity by 11,340 tonnes/year by the end of 2023.
US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Construction Activities in the Country
4.1.2 Increasing Demand from Packaging Industry
4.1.3 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Availability of Green Alternatives
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 By Type
5.1.2 Grey and Silver
5.2 By End User
5.2.1 Building and Construction
5.2.3 Other End Users
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Dart Container Corporation
6.4.2 Epsilyte Holdings LLC
6.4.3 Flint Hills Resources
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Recycling in the EPS Industry
7.2 Other Opportunities
US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market Research FAQs
How big is the US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market?
The US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market size is expected to reach 376.84 kilotons in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 2.91% to reach 434.95 kilotons by 2028.
What is the current US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market size?
In 2023, the US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market size is expected to reach 376.84 kilotons.
Who are the key players in US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market?
NexKemia, Flint Hills Resources, Alpek S.A.B. de C.V., SABIC and Epsilyte Holdings LLC are the major companies operating in the US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Market.
United States Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. US Expandable Polystyrene (EPS) analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.