2018 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The tractors market was valued at USD 66.5 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 87.45 billion by 2026, projecting a CAGR of 4.68%, during the forecast period, 2021-2026.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 with reduced sales of tractors across the world due to lockdown. For instance, Mahindra and Mahindra, one of the leading tractor manufacturing company announced an estimated loss of 30,000 tractors sales from April to June 2020 as a result of lockdown and other restrictions. This figure came up to 253k units being sold by December 2020 owing to the increasing demand of food production and impacting agriculture directly.
The adoption rate of mechanization in the agricultural sector has been gradually increasing since the past few years. Some of the major factors driving the demand for mechanization are
- Rapid urbanization, growth of medium-sized farms, and rising rural wages, along with seasonal labor shortages. The rising demand for mechanization, along with an increasing number of medium-scale farmers, is driving the adoption of tractor hiring in Ghana and other African countries, majorly in the south of Sahara.
- Encouragement from the government to increase large size farming is another significant driving factor for high power tractors.
- Larger farms mean production of more high horse power tractors which are usually priced higher. This brings in profits for the manufacturers.
Scope of the Report
A tractor is specifically designed to deliver a high tractive effort at slow speeds, for the purposes of hauling a trailer or machinery such as that used in agriculture, mining, or construction. The tractor market is segmented by Horsepower, Drive Type, and Geography. In Horsepower type, the market is segmented into below 40HP, 40HP-100HP, and above 100HP. In Drive Type, the market is segmented into two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive/ all-wheel drive. The report also covers market size and forecasts of major countries across the world. For each segment, the market size and forecasts have been done on basis of value (USD billion).
|Below 40 HP|
|40 HP - 100 HP|
|Above 100 HP|
|By Drive Type|
|Four-wheel Drive/All-wheel Drive|
Key Market Trends
Government policies and growing mechanization of agriculture are primarily driving tractor market.
Tractors in the 40 HP-100 HP range, generally referred to as utility tractors, are witnessing high demand across the world, including developed and developing countries, due to their capability to handle additional agricultural tasks. They can be fitted with equipment, such as rakes, scrapes, seed drillings, and spreaders. They are ideal for use in mid-size farmland, ranging from 2 hectares to less than 10 hectares. With the rising importance and increase in subsidies pertaining to the agricultural sector, primarily from governments across various regions, a considerable number of small-scale farmers are focusing on adopting tractors within the 40 HP-100 HP segment. This is expected to drive the market’s growth during the forecast period. In India,
At times, low-end versions of this category compete with compact tractors and high-end versions compete with the next power band, making them potential substitutes to the other two segments. They have 3-5 cylinders and nearly 30-gallon fuel tanks to suit the additional farm requirements. Any tractor manufacturer that can include other utilities in the tractors of this band is expected to witness growth. In this power band, manufacturers are focusing on introducing four-wheel drive version tractors.
Companies, such as John Deere, are focusing on electrification and zero emission hybrid and electric energy drives. The autonomous and semi-autonomous electric tractors being developed by John Deere have a power range of up to 500 kW, and they increase productivity by nearly 30%.
The COVID-19 outbreak has significantly impacted this segment of the market in Europe and North America. Italy recorded a decline of more than 21% in the sale of tractors in the month of March 2020.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Dominates the Global Market
Asia-Pacific dominated the tractors market, and the region is expected to witness the fastest growth rate during the forecast period.
In the Asia-Pacific region, India is the biggest market for tractors, followed by China. India holds the second-largest agricultural land in the world. At 157.35 million hectares, India holds the second-largest agricultural land in the world. The agricultural sector is the backbone of the Indian economy contributing majorly to the country’s GDP.
- The Indian tractor market is witnessing a steady shift to higher horsepower tractors, though it is still in its nascent stage. The market for tractors with the power of 50HP and above is less than 10% with only a few players having a presence in this segment.
- The newly introduced farming law by the Indian Government is going to incrsease the production demand, thereby increasing the need for higher powered tractors.
The consistent growth of the agricultural sector is driving the agricultural machinery market in the country. Government initiatives, such as Tractor Subsidy Scheme, Kisan Credit Card, and National Mission on Agricultural Mechanization, have been continuously contributing to the growth of the agricultural machinery market in the country.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Some of the major companies dominating the market studied are John Deere, Kubota Corp., CLAAS, Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, Kuhn Group, Yanmar Co. Ltd, and Escorts, and they capture a significant share of the market in 2020.
In 2019, John Deere led the agricultural tractor market, due to its increased tractor sales in South America, especially from Argentina, and steady growth was observed in the Asia-Pacific region. The other major players in the market are Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited (TAFE), Deutz-Fahr, Sonalika, Force Motors, and Zetor.
The other market shareholders include many domestic and international manufacturers, like Sonalika, Deutz-Fahr, Force Motors, Zetor, Tafe, and Same, who witnessed a significant share of the global agricultural tractors market in 2020.
- In Feb 2020, John Deere introduced the new 1745 MaxEmerge™ 5 Planter, for corn and soybean customers, who require planter-applied fertilizer, a split-row configuration, and narrow transport. Customers can choose from an 8-row, 30-inch; or a 15-row, 15-inch configuration for the 1745 planters. Three commodity storage options are available and include 1.6- and 3-bushel row hoppers, or mini hoppers with the 50-bushel John Deere CCS central fill seed delivery system. With CCS, customers can conveniently and efficiently fill the planter from one spot.
- In Jan 2020, Kubota Corporation demonstrated a concept tractor at a new product exhibition held in Kyoto City. Since the launch of AGRIROBO tractors in 2017, Kubota expanded autonomous agricultural machinery, the AGRIROBO Series. Now Kubota unveils this concept model with numerous advanced technologies, such as AI and electrification technology, in anticipation of the full-scale introduction of smart farming which is continuously expected by farmers.
- Most manufacturers are turning towards electric and autonomous tractors in order to improve efficiency with zero emissions. The torque provided by electric motors on lower rev range is a big advantage for tractors.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Driver
4.2 Market Challenge
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Horsepower
5.1.1 Below 40 HP
5.1.2 40 HP - 100 HP
5.1.3 Above 100 HP
5.2 By Drive Type
5.2.1 Two-wheel Drive
5.2.2 Four-wheel Drive/All-wheel Drive
5.3.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 South America
126.96.36.199 Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Deere and Company
6.2.2 CNH Global NV (includes New Holland and Case IH)
6.2.3 AGCO Corporation (includes Massey Ferguson, Valtra, Fendt, and Challenger)
6.2.4 CLAAS KGaA mbH
6.2.5 Mahindra and Mahindra Corporation
6.2.6 Kubota Corp
6.2.7 Escorts Limited
6.2.8 Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited (TAFE)
6.2.9 Kuhn Group (Subsidiary of Bucher Industries)
6.2.10 Yanmar Company Limited
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Tractors Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Tractors Market?
The Tractors Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.68% over the next 5 years.
What is Tractors Market size in 2018?
The Tractors Market is valued at 66.5 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Tractors Market size in 2026?
The Tractors Market is valued at 87.45 Billion USD in 2026.
Which region has highest growth rate in Tractors Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Tractors Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Tractors Market?
- Deere and Company
- Kubota Corporation
- Mahindra Tractors
- Massey Ferguson
Are the major companies operating in Tractors Market.