Unidirectional Tapes Market Size
|Market Size (2023)||USD 350.04 Million|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 576.93 Million|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||10.51 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Unidirectional Tapes Market Analysis
The Global Unidirectional Tape Market size is estimated at USD 350.04 million in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 576.93 million by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 10.51% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Presently the market has now reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the medium term, one of the main factors driving the market is the growing demand from the aerospace and rising usage of unidirectional tape in the wind and automotive industries.
- On the flipside, high manufacturing and high processing costs of unidirectional tapes are expected to hinder the market's growth.
- Increasing Investment by major companies worldwide in R&D activities to develop new unidirectional tape products is likely to act as an opportunity for the market studied in the coming years.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market with increasing manufacturing from aerospace industry.
Unidirectional Tapes Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Unidirectional Tape Market according to our research experts:
Growing Demand from the Aerospace and Defense Industry
- Unidirectional tapes are manufactured from glass or carbon fiber embedded in a thermoplastic matrix and are specifically customized based on their different applications.
- Thermoset UD tapes are generally utilized across different industries, as they are less expensive, exceptionally receptive, and have ease of impregnation. High utilization of carbon fiber/epoxy composites in the aerospace Industry inferable from their lightweight, high quality and modulus, and superb fatigue performance.
- The global aerospace materials market is estimated to witness healthy growth over the forecast period due to increasing composites' usage in aircraft manufacturing and increasing government spending on military and defense in the major countries like the United States, China, India, the United Kingdom, and so on.
- According to data by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute(SIPRI), US and China accounted for the largest military expenditure in 2021 which was valued at around USD 801.0 billion and USD 293.0 billion respectively followed by India and UK at USD 76.6 billion and USD 68.4 billionrespectively.
- The global military aircraft and aerospace manufacturing market for aerospace and defense in 2021 were valued at approximately USD 255.8 billion which includes dominant players such as Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrop Grumma. The increasing investments in the research and development (R&D) of advanced composite materials by several aerospace incumbents, like The Boeing Company, and Airbus SE, among others, is also supporting the growth of the unidirectional tapes market.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, the application of unidirectional tape from aerospace industry is likely to dominate during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. The rising demand for unidirectional tape from the defense industry in countries like China and India is expected to drive the demand for unidirectional tape in this region.
- Unidirectional tapes are used to design lightweight, high-impact, strong materials for high-performance automotive applications. The Chinese automotive manufacturing industry is the largest in the world, with a production share of just over 32.5% in 2021. The industry is supported by multinational players operating large manufacturing facilities in the country.
- The growing civil aircraft fleet steadily boosts the demand for unidirectional tape in China. Moreover, in the next 20 years, the Chinese airline companies plan to purchase about 7,690 new aircraft, which are valued at about USD 1.2 trillion.
- Automotive production in India witnessed a 30% growth in 2021. The significant growth was supported by government reforms to enhance industrial production and high demand for automobiles from the end consumers in the country. As per the reports by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers, SIAM, the country produced a total of 22,933,230 vehicles, including passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, three-wheelers, two-wheelers, and quadricycles, between April 2021 to March 2022. Moreover, the government's reforms, such as "Aatma Nirbhar Bharat" and "Make in India" programs, are likely to boost the automotive industry.
- According to IATA (International Air Transport Association) report, India is poised to become the third-largest aviation market in the world by the end of the forecast period. In the aerospace sector, according to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the country's aviation industry is expected to witness INR 35,000 crore (~USD 4.99 billion) investment in the next four years.
- Furthermore, according to the Global Wind Report, 2022, by the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), the Indian wind market outlook for 2022 and 2023 is projected at 3.2 GW and 4.1 GW of onshore wind installations respectively.
- Asia-Pacific holds a significant share in the sports and leisure equipment market, and it is expected to grow significantly during the forecast period.
- Owing to the above-mentioned factors, the market for unidirectional tape in the Asia-Pacific region is projected to grow significantly during the study period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Unidirectional Tapes Industry Overview
The unidirectional tape market is consolidated in nature, with the top five players accounting for a significant share in the global market. Some of the major companies (not in any particular order) are TEIJIN LIMITED, Hexcel Corporation, Celanese Corporation, TORAY INDUSTRIES INC., and Mitsui Chemicals Inc., among others.
Unidirectional Tapes Market Leaders
Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
TORAY INDUSTRIES INC
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Unidirectional Tapes Market News
- In January 2022, Evonik Industries AG was awarded certification from DNV as its unidirectional tape VESTAPE PA12-CF (PA12) became suitable for dynamic sweet and sour hydrocarbons, water, and gas injection applications according to DNV-ST-F119.
- In JUNE 2021, Teijin joined Spirit's Aerospace Innovation Center to enhance engineering partnership. It would lead to the development of mid to downstream applications for aircraft, including carbon fiber thermoplastic unidirectional pre-impregnated tape and other products.
- In March 2021, BÜFA Thermoplastic Composites GmbH & Co. KG partnered with B-PREG (Izmir, Turkey), a supplier of natural fiber-based composites. The aim of this partnership was to offer unidirectional (UD) prepreg tapes, woven prepregs, and woven dry fabrics made using flax fiber and polypropylene polymer to meet the demand for sustainable materials
Unidirectional Tapes Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Demand from the Aerospace and Defense Industry
4.1.2 Rising Usage of Unidirectional Tape in the Wind and Automotive Industries
4.2.1 High Manufacturing and Processing Costs
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1 Reinforcement Type
5.1.1 Glass Fiber
5.1.2 Carbon Fiber
5.1.3 Other Reinforcement Types
5.2 Backing Material
5.2.1 Polyether Ether Ketone (PEEK)
5.2.2 Polyamide (PA)
5.2.3 Polypropylene (PP)
5.2.4 Polycarbonate (PC)
5.2.5 Polyphenylene Sulfide (PPS)
5.2.6 Other Backing Materials
5.3 Adhesive Type
5.3.3 Other Adhesive Types
5.4 End-user Industry
5.4.1 Aerospace and Defense
5.4.3 Sports and Leisure
5.4.5 Wind Energy
5.4.6 Other End-user Industries
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.5.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.5.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.5.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BUFA Thermoplastic Composites GmbH & Co. KG
6.4.2 Celanese Corporation
6.4.3 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.4 Hexcel Corporation
6.4.5 Mitsui Chemicals Inc.
6.4.6 Oxeon AB (TeXtreme)
6.4.7 Plastic Reinforcement Fabrics Ltd
6.4.9 SGL Carbon
6.4.11 TCR Composites Inc.
6.4.12 TEIJIN LIMITED
6.4.13 TOPOLO New Materials
6.4.14 TORAY INDUSTRIES INC.
6.4.15 Victrex plc
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Investment in R&D of Major Companies Across the Globe to Develop New UD Tape Products
Unidirectional Tapes Market Research FAQs
How big is the Unidirectional Tape Market?
The Unidirectional Tape Market size is expected to reach USD 350.04 million in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 10.51% to reach USD 576.93 million by 2028.
What is the current Unidirectional Tape Market size?
In 2023, the Unidirectional Tape Market size is expected to reach USD 350.04 million.
Who are the key players in Unidirectional Tape Market?
Celanese Corporation, Mitsui Chemicals, Inc., TORAY INDUSTRIES INC, Hexcel Corporation and TEIJIN LIMITED are the major companies operating in the Unidirectional Tape Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Unidirectional Tape Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Unidirectional Tape Market?
In 2023, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Unidirectional Tape Market.
Unidirectional Tapes Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Unidirectional Tapes market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Unidirectional Tapes analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.