2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The technical ceramics market size was valued at USD 6.53 billion in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 7% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The production activities in the electronics industry have halted, owing to logistics slowdown and unavailability of the workforce, which has impacted the market growth. The global electronics industry is expected to witness around a 62% drop in its sales for 2020. In the industrial machinery sector, owing to the pandemic and social distancing norms, there has been a decrease in the workforce across various industries globally.
- Over the short term, the market is driven by factors, such as increasing demand from the medical industry. The growth in end-user applications in the automotive industries on account of the rising demand for electric vehicles is expected to drive the demand for the market during the forecast period.
- High capital cost and properties such as brittleness and lack of technical ceramics are likely to hinder the market growth.
- Technical ceramics are used to coat the wind turbine components to protect them against intense conditions of heat, dust, moisture, and UV radiation, which can cause high corrosion. The rising demand for clean energy generation is likely to drive the market.
- Increased demand for industrial applications (metallurgy and industrial machinery) is projected to act as an opportunity for the market in the future.
Scope of the Report
Technical Ceramics are also termed engineering ceramics with enhanced mechanical and thermal properties, which make them suitable for various industrial applications. The market is segmented on the basis of material, product, end-user industry, and geography. By material, the market is segmented into oxide ceramics, non-oxide ceramics, and other materials. By product, the market is segmented into monolithic ceramics, ceramic matrix composites, ceramic coatings, and other products. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into automotive, electrical and electronics, energy and power, medical, defense and aerospace, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size of and forecasts for the technical ceramics market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Ceramic Matrix Composites|
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Energy and Power|
|Defense and Aerospace|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Medical Industry
- Technical ceramics are used in a wide range of medical devices, such as lithotripters and ultrasonic cleaners – and in dental ceramics in the field of dentistry.
- Another major application of technical ceramics is in bioceramics, where it is used in artificial organ implants, especially hip joints. The replacement of chemotherapy with radioactive glass microspheres for liver cancer patients, ceramic-based orthodontic braces, biocompatible coatings, and advanced drug delivery systems for cardiovascular stents and other implantable medical devices and composite layers for gene therapy are a few other developing applications of technical ceramics.
- Among all demographic drivers, the aging population is anticipated to create additional demand for healthcare services and products over the forecast period.
- The aging population is projected to be an enduring growth driver in Europe, Japan, and countries, such as Argentina, Thailand, and China, associated with a sharp decline in the youth population.
- The combination of an aging population and increased life expectancy was estimated to be risen by 72.3 years in 2014 to 73.5 years in 2019. Additionally, as per the latest estimates from WHO, by 2050, the global population aged 60 years and older will rise to about 2 billion from 900 million in 2015.
- The number is anticipated to be higher In Europe (nearly 20%) and Japan (approximately 30%). Among the factors contributing to increased life expectancy are enhanced living conditions, improved sanitation, better prevention of communicable diseases, and increasing access to medicine and better sanitation products.
- The rising prevalence of chronic diseases and the rapidly aging population worldwide are projected to increase the demand for medical implants, which will drive the demand for technical ceramics during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Market
- In Asia-Pacific, China is the largest economy in terms of GDP. The country witnessed GDP growth of 1.9% in 2020 and is expected to grow by 8.2% in 2021.
- Although China was the first country affected by COVID-19 and its related lockdown, it was the first country to come out of lockdown as well. However, the country has been witnessing recurring cases of COVID-19, leading to further lockdowns. Additionally, manufacturing is heavily impacted, and it is expected to continue with slow growth in 2020. Moreover, a significant share of the Chinese economy is linked to foreign exports, where demand is still low due to lockdowns being practiced in various countries because of the COVID-19 outbreak. This has negatively affected the Chinese technical ceramics market in 2020.
- China has the world’s largest electronics production base. Electronic products, such as smartphones, TVs, wires, cables, portable computing devices, gaming systems, and other personal electronic devices, recorded the highest growth in the electronics segment. The country serves not only domestic demand for electronics but also exports electronic output to other countries.
- In China, with the increase in the disposable income of the middle-class population and the rising demand for electronic products in countries importing electronic products from China, the production of electronics is projected to grow. With the growing electronics and construction industry, the demand for technical ceramics is expected to increase. However, the COVID-19 outbreak is expected to hamper the growth of the electronics market in the country, during 2020-2021.
- In Q1 2020, the manufacturing facilities have shut down and halted production in the country, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Thus, this is expected to hamper automobile production in the country in 2020. However, in Q2 2020, the manufacturing plants have resumed operations. The manufacturing activities are picking up pace, thus, driving the demand for technical ceramics.
- China's power generation rose by over 7% Y-o-Y in 2019, holding a share of almost 26% globally. Chinese solar panel manufacturers are formulating output-boosting innovations to ensure continued survival in the market. For instance, JinkoSolar Holding is currently developing solar modules with a back sheet that can generate power from light being reflected off the ground.
- The medical device market in China is considered one of the fastest-growing sectors and was estimated to cross over USD 95 billion by the end of 2020. The number of private hospitals in the country is relatively small, and the healthcare product procurement is majorly driven by large public hospitals, which has led to the increasing usage of medical devices in public hospitals, thus, stimulating the demand for technical ceramics in the sector.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The technical ceramics market is partially fragmented in nature. Some of the major players in the market include 3M, Morgan Advanced Materials, CoorsTek Inc., KYOCERA Corporation, and NGK SPARK PLUG CO. LTD.
- In February 2021, CoorsTek Inc. announced the construction of a new production facility in Rayong, Thailand. The first phase of this production facility includes the construction of 400,000 square feet manufacturing facility and is expected to be completed by early 2022.
- In June 2020, Morgan Advanced Materials completed the acquisition of Carbo San Luis, Argentina, engaged in the manufacturing of concrete, ceramic fiber, low biopersistnace fiber, and other products. This acquisition by Morgan Advanced Materials is in line with the company's strategy to invest in the South America region.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing End-user Applications in the Electronics and Automotive Industries
4.1.2 Increasing Demand from the Medical Industry
4.1.3 Eco-friendly and Reliable for Use
4.2.1 High Capital Cost
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to the Impact of COVID-19
4.2.3 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Patent Analysis
4.6 Price Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Revenue)
5.1.1 Oxide Ceramics
5.1.2 Non-oxide Ceramics
5.1.3 Other Materials
5.2.1 Monolithic Ceramics
5.2.2 Ceramic Matrix Composites
5.2.3 Ceramic Coatings
5.2.4 Other Products
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.2 Electrical and Electronics
5.3.3 Energy and Power
5.3.5 Defense and Aerospace
5.3.6 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Bakony Ipari Kerámia Kft
6.4.3 CeramTec GmbH
6.4.4 CoorsTek Inc.
6.4.5 Dyson Technical Ceramics
6.4.6 Ortech Advanced Ceramics
6.4.7 KYOCERA Corporation
6.4.8 Mantec Technical Ceramics Ltd
6.4.9 McDanel Advanced Ceramic Technologies
6.4.10 Morgan Advanced Materials
6.4.11 NGK SPARK PLUG CO. LTD
6.4.12 Rauschert GmbH
6.4.14 STC Superior Technical Ceramics
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Demand for Industrial Applications (Metallurgy and Industrial Machinery)
7.2 Increasing Usage in Nano Technology
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Technical Ceramics Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Technical Ceramics Market?
The Technical Ceramics Market is growing at a CAGR of >7% over the next 5 years.
What is Technical Ceramics Market size in 2016?
The Technical Ceramics Market is valued at 6525 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Technical Ceramics Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Technical Ceramics Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Technical Ceramics Market?
- Morgan Advanced Materials
- CoorsTek Inc.
- KYOCERA Corporation
- NGK SPARK PLUG CO.,LTD.
Are the major companies operating in Technical Ceramics Market.