Tanning Agents Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 6.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Tanning Agents Market Analysis
The global tanning agents market is anticipated to register a CAGR of more than 6% during the forecast period.
COVID-19 negatively impacted the market in 2020. However, the market is now estimated to reached pre-pandemic levels and is expected to grow steadily.
- The rapid increase in demand for high-quality leather is expected to drive market growth during the forecast period.
- High operational costs and stringent environmental regulations are anticipated to hinder the market's growth.
- An increase in investment in R&D to develop alternate tanning technologies will likely create opportunities for the market in the coming years.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Tanning Agents Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Tanning Agents Market according to our research experts:
Leather Tanning - The Fastest Growing Segment by Application
- The fastest-growing application in the tanning agents market is the leather-tanning application. Leather tanning involves treating the skins and hides of skins to produce leather. The process produces soft, durable, and flexible material.
- Various materials are used in the tanning process of leather. Most are iron, aluminum, titanium, zirconium, and chromium. Chrome tanning is widely employed due to its high tensile strength and high-temperature shrinkage property.
- Leather-tanned products are widely used in various end-user industries, such as the footwear and packing industry.
- According to the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (India), in the fiscal year 2021, leather footwear contributed to around USD 1.5 billion of India's leather exports. That year, total leather exports were around USD 3.7 billion, thus, supporting the market growth during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, according to the Travel Goods Association, retail sales of personal leather items in the United States increased by over 80% from 2020 to 2021, from USD 1.9 billion to approximately USD 3.4 billion. Thus, positively increasing the growth of the market.
- Owing to all these factors, the market for tanning agents will likely grow worldwide during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific dominated the global market. With growing footwear and personal care industries in countries like China, India, Japan, and South Korea, the consumption of tanning agents is increasing.
- Personal care is one of the fastest-growing sectors in countries like China and India. For example, the Indian electronics industry is one of the fastest-growing industries globally.
- India's personal care and cosmetics sector is expected to grow continuously, with increasing shelf space in retail stores and boutiques. It will, thus, support the growth of the market.
- The domestic electronics manufacturing sector is expanding at a steady rate, owing to favorable government policies such as 100% foreign direct investment (FDI), no requirement for industrial licenses, and the technological transformation from manual to automatic production processes.
- According to a Ministry of Economy and Industry report, the country's beauty and personal care (BPC) industry was expected to reach more than USD 10 billion by 2021, driving the market's growth.
- Furthermore, China is the world's largest producer of footwear. Almost 54.1% of the footwear produced worldwide in 2021 was produced in China. China manufactured more than half of the world's shoes in 2021. Hence, positively increasing the market growth.
- Due to all such factors, the region's tanning agents market is expected to grow steadily during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Tanning Agents Industry Overview
The tanning agents market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the major players in the market include BASF SE, LANXESS, Merck KGaA, Leather International, and CLARIANT, among others (in no particular order).
Tanning Agents Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Tanning Agents Market News
- September 2022: Schill+Seilacher GmbH introduced SUCCUIR, a unique pre-tannage and tannage system at Lineapelle. The product is based on a triose produced from vegetable oil waste streams.
- January 2022: Smit & Zoon introduced their brand-new business, Nera, and Zeology, a cutting-edge new tanning product free of aldehydes, heavy metals, and chrome.
Tanning Agents Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rapid Increase in Demand for High Quality Leather
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 High Operational costs
4.2.2 Stringent Environment Regulations
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1.1 Inorganic Materials
5.1.2 Aldehyde Tanning Agents
5.1.3 Vegetable Tanning Agents
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2.1 Leather tanning
5.2.2 Sun Tanning and Personal Care Products
5.2.3 Other Applications
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ANGUS Chemical Company
6.4.2 BASF SE
6.4.3 Chemtan Company, Inc.
6.4.5 Ecopell GmbH
6.4.7 Leather International
6.4.8 Merck KGaA
6.4.9 SCHILL+SEILACHER GMBH
6.4.10 Silvateam S.p.a.
6.4.11 TRUMPLER GmbH & Co. KG
6.4.12 Viswaat Chemicals Limited
6.4.13 VOLPKER SPEZIALPRODUKTE GMBH
6.4.14 Smit & Zoon
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increase in Investment of R&D to Develop Alternate Tanning Technologies
Tanning Agents Market Research FAQs
What is the current Tanning Agents Market size?
The Tanning Agents Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 6% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Tanning Agents Market?
BASF SE, LANXESS, Merck KGaA, Leather International and CLARIANT are the major companies operating in the Tanning Agents Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Tanning Agents Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Tanning Agents Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Tanning Agents Market.
Tanning Agents Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Tanning Agents market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Tanning Agents analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.