|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The sterile medical packaging market is expected to register a CAGR of 6.2% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has posted a significant impact on market growth. Healthcare systems across the world are being put under unprecedented strain by the devastating impact of COVID-19. Hospital sterilization centers are experiencing increased pressure to ensure the safety of both patients and frontline healthcare workers. The pandemic has opened up opportunities for innovation. Uflex, an FMCG and pharma package manufacturing firm, expects COVID-19 to propel the development of sterile and anti-microbial packaging solutions.
- The increasing competition among the manufacturers and the rising environmental concerns motivate the manufacturers to develop cost-effective packaging products that require fewer resources and provide better protection. Therefore, this is driving the growth of the market studied.
- As the packaging industry is witnessing an increase in growth, the market is also expected to grow. Multiple factors, such as the increasing elderly population, increasing demand from the healthcare sector, and reliable packaged products, are driving the need for sterile packaging products.
- Additionally, vendors in the market are continuously expanding their operations to widen their product portfolio. For instance, Dordan Manufacturing Inc. (an ISO 9001:2015 certified company) initiated its cleanroom project to enhance its existing expertise in medical packaging. The company primarily designs, manufactures, and distributes custom thermoformed packaging for multiple industries.
- Moreover, ULMA Packaging has launched a new, easy-to-open flow pack package for the medical sector. The product is designed specifically to allow sterile products to be removed from the pack without any contamination due to microorganisms and particles. The package is also sealed without leaks and uses a peelable film with already-integrated tyvek or paper panels that enable ethylene oxide (EtO) sterilization.
- Furthermore, factors such as the performance, application, and selection of a proper sterilization packaging system, are significant for sterilizing the packaged content. This is likely to maintain the sterility of the content within the package until the package is opened for further use, thus, enabling withdrawal of the content without infection.
Scope of the Report
The sterile packaging products primarily help in protecting drugs and medical devices, among other pharmaceutical products, from getting contaminated. These are tear-resistant, durable, breathable, and have a superior microbial barrier, making the packaging sterile and safe. Good quality, strength, and performance in the sterile barrier can improve the reliability and efficiency of processing and handling the supplies. The market study is focused on the trends affecting the market in the major regions like North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The study tracks the key market parameters, underlying growth influencers, and major vendors operating in the industry. Further, the study also tracks the impact of COVID-19 on the overall sterile medical packaging industry and its performance.
|By Material Type|
|Plastic - PP, Polyester, PS, PVC, HDPE, etc.|
|Paper and Paperboard|
|By Product Type|
|Sterile Bottles and Containers|
|Pouches and Bags|
|Vials and Ampoules|
|By Application Type|
|Surgical and Medical Appliances|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Plastic Material is Expected to Hold a Significant Share
- Many partnerships in the industry have resulted in several innovations. The collaborative efforts between the chemical/polymer resin companies and medical device packaging converters have primarily resulted in new technologies and products.
- For example, the metallocene is a linear low-density polyethylene that offers greater seal integrity and robust performance. The new oxygen and moisture-barrier resins are autoclave sterilization compatible. The new polymer chemistries offer improved thermoformability performance in both speed and quality.
- The key focus of the manufacturers has been the improvement of the overall performance of the sterile barrier medical device packaging. This primarily relates to elements, such as physical properties, aged package stability, sterile barrier performance, ease of opening, and materials clarity.
- Moreover, hospitals have influenced the packaging industry by demanding more recyclability from the materials used for sterile packaging. Additionally, the ongoing demand for lower costs/pricing drives various innovations in the industry with materials and packaging designs.
- In June 2020, Placon, a manufacturer of injection molded and thermoformed plastic packaging products headquartered in the United States, announced it is planning to expand its thermoforming production capacity in Elkhart (Indiana). This is intended to meet the increasing demand for medical packaging.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Accounts For the Largest Market Share
- North America is expected to be one of the largest markets for sterile medical packaging, primarily owing to the multiple regulations imposed by the FDA, which, in turn, is driving the demand for sustainable and high-quality products in this region.
- Moreover, owing to many significant players and stringent FDA regulations, the market has become very competitive in the region. To gain a sustainable advantage over the competitors, companies in the area are increasingly offering better packaging solutions.
- The US government has enforced multiple medical and healthcare insurance schemes that are mandatory, which will ensure some degree of basic healthcare coverage for people and may help them in paying their medical expenses. This increases the expenditure on treating several diseases and physical disorders, thereby driving the demand for various types of drugs and, consequently, sterile medical packaging.
- A significant challenge for the market in this region is the availability of counterfeit drugs and packaging. The United States, which has multiple regulations to prevent the manufacture and distribution of these counterfeit medical products, is witnessing the penetration of fake and substandard drugs in the market.
- Furthermore, in 2020, MedAccred announced to continue its expansion and support for the medical device industry. MedAccred has added new sterile device packaging and plastics mechanical assembly audit processes, added four new subscribers, and accredited many new suppliers within the last year. The program is also entering its second year of partnering with the US Department of Commerce through the Medical Manufacturers MedAccred Accreditation Pathway (MedMMAP) for manufacturers and suppliers seeking accreditation.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The sterile medical packaging market is highly competitive, owing to several small and large players operating in domestic and international markets. The market appears to be moderately concentrated. The players in the market are adopting major strategies, like product innovations, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic partnerships, to widen their product portfolio and expand their geographical reach. Some of the players in the market are Amcor PLC, Steripack Ltd, Wipak Group, and Placon Corporation, among others.
- August 2021 - The US Department of Defense (DoD), in collaboration with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), has approved SteriPack Group ("SteriPack") a USD 14.743 million contract to develop domestic production capability for XpressCollectTM used in support of COVID-19 diagnostic testing.
- April 2021 - Amcor announced consumer trials of the world's prime recyclable Polyethylene-based thermoform blister packaging, building on its recent developments to offer recyclable packaging. The new packaging meets the strict criteria of highly specialized and regulated pharmaceutical packaging while also providing a more sustainable alternative to the most popular type of healthcare packaging. This innovation also benefits from a carbon footprint reduction of up to 70%.
- June 2021 - Amcor has introduced a multi-chamber pouch explicitly designed for drug-device combo goods. For the first time in Europe, the new Amcor Dual Chamber Pouch uses a high-strength foil laminate to guard against light, moisture, and oxygen penetration, extending shelf life and improving medicine efficacy. One side is peelable, allowing for aseptic presentation and convenient device access. The second non-peelable chamber houses the desiccant sachet or other scavenging technologies.
- July 2020 - Gerresheimer Group's plants in Europe, America, and Asia, where they are manufactured high-quality standards vials in the pharmaceutical industry, have received initial orders for vials for drugs and vaccines against COVID-19.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Stringent regulations towards infection control expected to aid demand for sterile-based products
4.2.2 Recent increase in utilization capacity
4.2.3 Material advancements in the field of Plastics
4.3 Market Challenges
4.3.1 Dynamic nature of regulations makes it challenging for manufacturers to comply with local factors with issues related to material availability
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Sterile Medical Packaging Market
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Material Type
5.1.1 Plastic - PP, Polyester, PS, PVC, HDPE, etc.
5.1.2 Paper and Paperboard
5.2 By Product Type
5.2.1 Thermoform Trays
5.2.2 Sterile Bottles and Containers
5.2.3 Pouches and Bags
5.2.4 Blisters Packs
5.2.5 Vials and Ampoules
5.2.6 Pre-Filled Syringes
5.3 By Application Type
5.3.2 Surgical and Medical Appliances
5.3.4 Other Applications
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Amcor PLC
6.1.2 Dupont De Nemours Inc.
6.1.3 Steripack Ltd
6.1.4 Wipak Group
6.1.5 Placon Corporation
6.1.6 Riverside Medical Packaging Company Ltd
6.1.7 Tekni-Plex Inc.
6.1.8 BillerudKorsnäs AB
6.1.9 Sonoco Products Co
6.1.10 Wheaton Industries
6.1.11 Technipaq Inc.
6.1.12 3M Co (3M Packaging)
6.1.13 Nelipak Healthcare
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Sterile Medical Packaging Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Global Sterile Medical Packaging Market?
The Global Sterile Medical Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.2% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Sterile Medical Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Sterile Medical Packaging Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Global Sterile Medical Packaging Market?
Amcor PLC, Dupont De Nemours Inc., Steripack Ltd, Wipak Group, Placon Corporation are the major companies operating in Global Sterile Medical Packaging Market.