|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The carbon black market was valued at USD 15,495.32 million in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of around 5.15% during the forecast period (2021-2026). The tires and industrial rubber products application segment dominated the market, and it is expected to grow during the forecast period. Carbon black is one of the reinforces that is frequently used in the tire industry, owing to its effect on the mechanical and dynamic properties of tires.
With the COVID-19 outbreak in the first half of 2020, the tire and rubber industry has been significantly affected. Various tire and rubber manufacturers have shut down manufacturing plants to cope with the losses that occurred. For instance, Bridgestone announced in April 2020 to suspend 11 of its Japanese plants due to the dwindling demand during the coronavirus pandemic.
- In the short term, the major factors driving the market studied are growing applications in the fiber and textile industries.
- Growth in the adoption of electric cars and self-driving cars is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from the countries, such as China and India.
Scope of the Report
Carbon black is produced by incomplete combustion of heavy petroleum products such as coal tar, FCC tar, or ethylene cracking tar. The carbon black market is segmented by process type, application, and geography. By process type, the market is segmented into furnace black, gas black, lamp black, and thermal black. By application, the market is segmented into tires and industrial rubber products, plastics, toners and printing inks, paints and coatings, textile fibers, and other applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the carbon black market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton) and value (USD million).
|Tires and Industrial Rubber Products|
|Toners and Printing Inks|
|Paints and Coatings|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Application of Tires and Industrial Rubber Products
- The tires and industrial rubber products application is the largest application segment of the carbon black market, with around 75% of the market share.
- Carbon black is used in the tires of automotive vehicles. It is used as a filler as well as a strengthening reinforcing agent.
- Carbon black is one of the reinforces that is frequently used in the tire industry, owing to its effect on the mechanical and dynamic properties of tires. It is used in various formulations with different rubber types to customize the performance properties of tires.
- According to IRSG (International Rubber Study Group), the global tire production volume reached 16.8 million metric ton in 2019. Moreover, the total global tire industry volume is expected to reach 2.75 billion units by 2024 from 2.36 billion units in 2019.
- Considering the impact of COVID-19, the global tires industry is expected to witness little recovery in 2021, with significant recovery starting in 2022.
- Other than tires, it is also required for various molded and extruded industrial rubber products, such as conveyor belts, gaskets, air springs, grommets, vibration isolation devices, and hoses. It provides flex strength in such products.
- Owing to all the above-mentioned factors, the market for carbon black is projected to grow post-2020 during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Market in the Asia-Pacific Region
- China contributes more than 40% of the global carbon black production. China is also the global largest exporter of carbon black. The primary carbon black feedstock is coal tar, and other carbon black feedstocks include slurry oil and ethylene tar.
- Carbon black prices in China have surged in the recent past due to a supply shortage amid massive plant shutdowns caused by the Chinese government’s intensifying environmental protection campaign.
- The top local manufacturers of carbon black include Jiangxi Black Cat, Longxing Chemicals, Shanxi Yongdong Chemicals, Shanxi Anlun Chemicals, Liaobin Carbon Black, Shanxi Sanqiang New Energy Technology Co. Ltd, Suzhou Baohua Carbon Black, Shandong Jinneng Technology, Shandong NST Carbon Black, Yunan Yunwei Feihu Chemicals, Qujin Zongyi Chemicals, and Shandong Best Chemicals.
- Tire production in the country has a deep impact on the carbon black market, as it is the largest demand puller.
- The country is projected to produce 704 million tires per year by 2025, including 527 million passenger radial tires, 148 million truck/bus radial tires, 29 million bias truck tires, 20,000 extra-large industrial tires, 12 million agricultural tires, and 54,000 aircraft tires. In addition, China will produce 120.7 million motorcycle tires and 420 million bicycle tires annually by 2025.
- Apart from the drop in domestic consumption, the US and EU anti-dumping tariffs also are casting heavy shadows, as more than 40% of China's tires are exported to the two markets.
- The plastics industry in China is the world’s largest, accounting for nearly 30% of global production.
- The COVID-19 has presented a problematic situation for carbon black in the country. However, the condition is better now, which concreted the probability of market recovery over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The carbon black market is a consolidated market, where the top seven players contribute to about 57% of the market share. The major companies for the carbon black market include Cabot Corporation, Birla Carbon, Orion Engineered Carbons SA, Jiangxi Black Cat Carbon Black Co. Ltd, Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd, and China Synthetic Rubber Corporation.
- In July 2021, Orion Engineered Carbons SA has partnered with RISE Research Institutes of Sweden in a project to develop and produce renewable carbon black (rCB).
- In June 2021, Orion Engineered Carbons SA has joined the HiQ-CARB consortium to provide the lithium-ion battery industry with sustainable and high-performance carbon additives.
- In January 2021, Himadri Specialty Chemical Ltd has joined hands with Petrotech Group in Rajasthan for marketing their Carbon Black pigments.
- In December 2020, OYAK (Armed Forces Pension Fund)* has received a project-based governmental incentive of USD 206 million for building a carbon-black production facility in cooperation with the International CSRC Investment Holdings Co. Ltd.
- In November 2020, Safic-Alcan announced that it has entered into an extended distribution agreement with Orion Engineered Carbons in South Africa.
- In April 2020, Cabot Corporation completed the acquisition of Shenzhen Sanshun Nano New Materials Co. Ltd (SUSN).
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Application in the Fiber and Textile Industries
4.1.2 Increasing Market Penetration of Specialty Black
4.2.1 Declining Automotive Industry
4.2.2 Availability of Substitutes
4.2.3 Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Trade Analysis
4.6 Technology Landscape
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Process Type
5.1.1 Furnace Black
5.1.2 Gas Black
5.1.3 Lamp Black
5.1.4 Thermal Black
5.2.1 Tires and Industrial Rubber Products
188.8.131.52 Films and Sheets
184.108.40.206 Pressure Pipes
220.127.116.11 Molded Parts
5.2.3 Toners and Printing Inks
5.2.4 Paints and Coatings
5.2.5 Textile Fibers
5.2.6 Other Applications
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Asahi Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.2 Birla Carbon (Aditya Birla Group)
6.4.3 Cabot Corporation
6.4.4 Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.5 International CSRC Investment Holdings Co. Ltd
6.4.6 Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
6.4.7 Himadri Speciality Chemical Ltd
6.4.8 Imerys Graphite & Carbon
6.4.9 Jiangxi Black Cat Carbon Black Co. Ltd
6.4.11 Longxing Chemical Stock Co. Ltd
6.4.12 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
6.4.14 OCI Company Ltd
6.4.15 Omsk Carbon Group
6.4.16 Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH
6.4.17 Phillips Carbon Black Limited
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growth in the Adoption of Electric Cars and Self-driving Cars
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Carbon Black Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Carbon Black Market?
The Carbon Black Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.15% over the next 5 years.
What is Carbon Black Market size in 2016?
The Carbon Black Market is valued at 15495 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Carbon Black Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Carbon Black Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Carbon Black Market?
Birla Carbon, Orion Engineered Carbon, Cabot Corporation, Jiangxi Black Cat Carbon Black Co. Ltd are the major companies operating in Carbon Black Market.