Carbon Black Industry Overview
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 3 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Carbon Black Market Analysis
The carbon black market is estimated to reach 13,749 kilotons by the end of this year and is projected to register a CAGR of more than 3%, during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak in the first half of 2020, the tire and rubber industry was significantly affected. This, in turn, has unfavorably impacted the consumption of carbon black. The market is projected to grow steadily as automotive production observed growth, since 2021.
- In the short term, the major factors driving the market are the growing tire industry, growing applications in the fiber and textile industries, and increasing market penetration of specialty black.
- On the flip side, the rising prominence of green tires and volatility in the prices of raw materials is hindering the growth of the studied market.
- Growth in the adoption of electric cars is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market worldwide, with the largest consumption from China and India.
Carbon Black Industry Segments
Carbon black is a fine carbon powder made by incomplete combustion or thermal decomposition of gaseous or liquid hydrocarbons under controlled conditions. The carbon black market is segmented by process type, application, and geography. By process type, the market is segmented into furnace black, gas black, lamp black, and thermal black. By application, the market is segmented into tires and industrial rubber products, plastics, toners and printing inks, coatings, textile fibers, and other applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the carbon black market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on volume (kiloton) and revenue (USD million).
|Tires and Industrial Rubber Products|
|Toners and Printing Inks|
Carbon Black Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Carbon Black Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Application of Tires and Industrial Rubber Products
- The tires and industrial rubber products segment is the largest application segment of the market, accounting for the largest market share.
- Carbon black is one of the reinforcements that is frequently used in the tire industry, owing to its effect on the mechanical and dynamic properties of tires. It is used in various formulations with different rubber types to customize the performance properties of tires.
- Carbon black is mainly required in the inner liners, sidewalls, and carcasses. It has heat-dissipation capabilities when added to rubber compounds. It also improves handling, tread wear, and fuel mileage. It also provides abrasion resistance.
- Carbon black is used in vehicle tires as a filler and a strengthening and reinforcing agent.
- As per the stats released by The European Tyre and Rubber Manufacturers Association (ETRMA), the replacement tire market registered a positive growth rate in 2021. The consumer (passenger cars, SUVs, and light commercial vehicles), truck, and motor & scooter segments registered 14%, 12%, and 14%, respectively.
- Besides tires, carbon black is also required for various molded and extruded industrial rubber products, such as conveyor belts, gaskets, air springs, grommets, vibration isolation devices, and hoses. It provides flex strength in such products.
- In the rubber industry, carbon black is majorly used as a filler to achieve reinforcing effects, such as altering the modulus or tensile strength. In rubber-based adhesives, sealants, and coatings are used to enhance the intermolecular or cohesive force of the product and impart conductivity.
- According to the Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d'Automobiles (OICA), in 2021, around 80.15 million vehicles were produced across the globe, witnessing a growth rate of 3% compared to previous year.
- According to the International Rubber Study Group, in 2021, the global rubber demand in the tire sector was recovered by 8.6% after a greater contraction experience (-8.1% ) in 2020. A larger recovery forecast for the non-tire sector, i.e., 10.5%, was driven by a continuing spike in demand for rubber products in the global healthcare business and a stronger recovery of rubber products in the supply chain of mobility.
- Hence, all the above factors are likely to increase the demand for carbon black in the tires and industrial rubber products.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Market in the Asia-Pacific Region
- China accounts for a higher share of the world's carbon black capacity and production. Any demand-supply imbalance in China can affect domestic players' market share and performance.
- China contributes to the global carbon black production capacity, with a volume of almost 7 million metric tons in 2021. China is also the largest global exporter of carbon black. The primary carbon black feedstock is coal tar, and other carbon black feedstocks include slurry oil and ethylene tar. The country’s total annual capacity of the primary carbon black feedstock reaches approximately 7.5 million metric tons.
- Carbon black is the most widely-used pigment for making black printing inks. China’s printing industry is growing, meeting the increasing demand for packaging and publications.
- Chinese plastic producers are switching to biodegradable materials. This is expected to aid China in maintaining its leading position in plastic production, which generates more demand for the carbon black market in the country.
- According to the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA), China is the largest producer of automobiles. The country alone produced 1,82,42,588 vehicles from Q1 to Q3 of 2021, which accounted for about 31.86% of the global volume. The production of vehicles for 2021 accounted for 2,60,82,220 units.
- According to the China Rubber Industry Association (CRIA), In 2021, the number of new energy vehicles in China is about 8 million, and the penetration rate of new vehicles reaches 12.7%. Domestic and foreign tire enterprises actively plan to launch new tire products with characteristics one after another to help the development of new energy vehicle industry.
- Thus, all the abovementioned factors are likely to provide a huge market for carbon black over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Carbon Black Market Competitor Analysis
The global carbon black market is a consolidated market, where the top ten players contribute to a significant share of the overall market. Some of the major players in the market include Cabot Corporation, Birla Carbon (Aditya Birla Group), Orion Engineered Carbons SA, Jiangxi HEIMAO Carbon black Co. Ltd, and Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd, among others.
Carbon Black Market Top Players
Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH
Jiangxi HEIMAO Carbon black Co., Ltd
Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd
Birla Carbon (Aditya Birla Group)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Carbon Black Market Recent Developments
- In June 2022, ADNOC Distribution entered a new carbon black supply agreement with ADNOC which will enable ADNOC Distribution to test the market in carbon black.
- In March 2022, Cabot Corporation acquired Tokai Carbon Group to purchase its carbon black manufacturing facility in Tianjin, China.
- In February 2022, Orion Engineered Carbons opened a new production line in Italy for carbon black manufacturing, having 25 kiloton capacity for specialty and technical rubber carbon black, mainly for the European market.
Carbon Black Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Tire Industry
4.1.2 Growing Application in Fiber and Textile Industries
4.1.3 Increasing Market Penetration of Specialty Black
4.2.1 Rising Prominence of Green Tires
4.2.2 Volatility in Prices of Raw Materials
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Technology Landscape
4.6 Production Analysis
4.7 Trade Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume and Value)
5.1 Process Type
5.1.1 Furnace Black
5.1.2 Gas Black
5.1.3 Lamp Black
5.1.4 Thermal Black
5.2.1 Tires and Industrial Rubber Products
5.2.3 Toners and Printing Inks
5.2.5 Textile Fiber
5.2.6 Other Applications
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
6.4.2 Asahi Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.3 Birla Carbon (Aditya Birla Group)
6.4.4 Cabot Corporation
6.4.5 Himadri Speciality Chemical Ltd
6.4.6 Imerys Graphite & Carbon Ltd
6.4.7 International CSRC Investment Holdings Co. Ltd
6.4.8 Jiangxi Heimao Carbon Black Co. Ltd
6.4.9 Longxing Chemical Stock Co. Ltd
6.4.10 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
6.4.12 OCI Company Ltd
6.4.13 Omsk Carbon Group
6.4.14 Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH
6.4.15 Phillips Carbon Black Limited (PCBL)
6.4.16 Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growth in the Adoption of Electric Cars
Carbon Black Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Carbon Black Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Carbon Black Market?
The Carbon Black Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Carbon Black Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Carbon Black Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Carbon Black Market?
Cabot Corporation, Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH, Jiangxi HEIMAO Carbon black Co., Ltd, Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd, Birla Carbon (Aditya Birla Group) are the major companies operating in Carbon Black Market.
Carbon Black Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Carbon Black sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Carbon Black research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Carbon Black report PDF.