|Study Period:||2021- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The solid-state drive (SSD) market (henceforth referred to as the market studied) was valued at USD 34.86 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 90.10 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 17.2%, during the period of 2021-2026 (henceforth, referred to as the forecast period). The data storage demand is on a massive rise over the past few years, which is expected to witness an increasing trend over the forecast period as well. In order to fulfill this enormous demand for data storage, solid-state drives (SSDs) and hard disk drives (HDD) have emerged as the two leading storage solutions, each having their benefits.
- The outbreak of COVID-19 has a significant effect on the market. The raw materials supply is affected, hence the value chain is disrupted, causing an inflationary risk on products.
- SSDs are similar to HDD, in terms of being non-volatile storage mediums. However, instead of spinning disks, the data is stored in a series of interconnected microchips. This makes access to memory much faster and causes the boot times to reduce drastically in SSDs. These factors are increasing the adoption of SSD in the computing process.
- Additionally, SSDs are drawing users’ attention worldwide due to its numerous advantages, such as fast read-write speed, no noise, lower consumption, portability, etc. It can offer faster, more energy-efficient, and more secure data storage experience. Moreover, the game loading speed is faster, and the response-ability and seamless multi-task processing capacity are stronger.
- Furthermore, higher SSD capacities at sensitive price points are expected to result in higher attach rates over time, in a new notebook and desktop PCs, and detachable tablets. Many enterprise applications need high reliability, constant uptime, high-performance storage devices, power efficiency, and high throughput. SSDs address all these requirements in an enterprise.
- The demand for SSD has been rapidly increasing, along with the growing number of cloud platforms, from the traditional corporate private and new public clouds to personal clouds in homes. The commonly used SSD interfaces include Serial ATA (SATA), PCI Express (PCIe), and Serial Attached SCSI (SAS). Enhanced features, such as high speed and quick data access, boost the adoption of PCIe SSDs for cloud computing.
Scope of the Report
A solid state drive (SSD) is a type of nonvolatile storage media that stores persistent data on solid-state flash memory. SSD is faster, quieter, and generally preferable when available, as compared to the hard disk drives (HDD). With a larger capacity, faster speed, and friendlier price, SSD is expected to comprehensively replace HDD in the near future.
|By SSD Interface (Overview, Trends, Forecasts & Market Outlook)|
|By Application (Overview, Trends, Forecasts & Market Outlook)|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Rising Demand from Enterprise Segment to Augment the Market Growth
- The Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) interface arrangement is the most widely used Solid State Drive interface which usually has a form factor of 2.5 inches and uses a SATA cord to connect with the circuit board. These are largely used in business laptops and mid-priced desktop computers.
- SSDs in enterprises store data persistently or cache data in non-volatile semiconductor memory temporarily. It is intended for use in servers, storage systems, and direct-attached storage (DAS) devices. These SSDs generally use NAND flash memory, deliver higher performance, and consume less power than spinning HDDs. However, they usually come at a premium price.
- Enterprise SSDs merits over a client SSD include protection of DRAM-stored data in the event of a power loss, higher performance, stronger error correction code (ECC), consistent and persistent quality of service, and a lengthier warranty.
- The earliest SSDs for enterprises used SLC (single-level cell) NAND flash, which stores one bit per cell and offers the highest level of endurance and performance, with a typical lifecycle of 100,000 writes per cell.
- The improvements to NAND flash technology have enabled the enterprise SSD manufacturers to use lower-endurance NAND flash options, such as a multi-level cell (MLC), triple-level cell (TLC), and 3D NAND. The advantages of the lower-endurance forms of NAND flash include lower cost and higher capacity, which have increased market growth.
- Small and medium enterprises usually use MLC SSD, which contains not only a longer life span and better performance than TLC SSD, but it also has a relatively lower price than SLC SSD. Users of TLC SSD, owing to its higher capacity and lower cost, are general customers in the market. However, when compared with SLC and MLC SSD, TLC SSD has more extended access latencies (i.e., lower performance) and a relatively smaller number of write erase cycles in a specific block (i.e., shorter life span).
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Region Expected to Hold Significant Share
- Due to the growing adoption of advanced technologies, North America is expected to be a prominent market, such as Cloud, IoT, Big Data, and High-end cloud computing. The growing need for storage, owing to the high adoption of such technologies, drives the market’s growth in the region.
- The region has a strong foothold of vendors, which contributes to the growth of the market. Some of them include Intel Corporation, Micron Technology Inc., and Western Digital Corporation, among others. Additionally, the manufacturers in the region are focusing on innovation and product differentiation to increase the penetration of their products, increase the revenues, and quickening the demand for the product in the region.
- For instance, in May 2020, Micron announced new client SSDs that bring NVMe performance to client computing applications. Micron 2300 SSD’s M.2 form factor delivers 2TB capacity using 96-layer 3D NAND technology. Micron 2210 SSD uses QLC architecture to reduce power consumption.
- The presence of a well-established infrastructure that supports the faster implementation of advanced technologies has made this region a key market for the growth of the market studied. Enterprises in the region are increasing their spending on IT infrastructure to gain a competitive edge and grow their business productivity. Therefore, there has been a need to use SSDs in IT infrastructure devices to save time, speed up data transfer, and achieve a high-performance.
- Enterprises deploying an advanced cloud infrastructure in the region need systems that can store, retrieve, process, and quickly analyze massive amounts of business-critical data. Driven by this need, many companies in the United States are transitioning primary storage from SATA-based SSDs to NVMe.
- According to Seagate Technology PLC, an American data storage company, the cloud storage is anticipated to grow at a steady rate in the United States, due to the desire of reducing latency by locating data closer to the consumer and using the regulatory and corporate mandates by demanding data to be housed locally, within the different regions. Thus, the country is expected to witness significant demand for SSD storage devices.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The solid-state drive (SSD) market is competitive owing to the major vendors, such as Intel, Micron Technology, Samsung Electronics, and Western Digital Corporation. As the entry barriers in the market are high, the entry of new players is difficult. The existing vendors in the market are investing heavily in the R&D of new and innovative products. Some of the recent developments in the market are:
- In February 2021 - Seagate has launched FireCuda 120 SATA SSDs. Its sequential read/write speed is up to 560/540 MB/s. It has a capacity from 500GB to 4TB. It is designed for gamers, and it provides speed, durability, and generous capacity.
- April 2021 - Samsung launches new enterprise SSD with upgraded performance. They released a high-performing enterprise solid-state drive (SSD) that supports the latest Serial attached SCSI (SAS) interface. The PM1653 is the industry’s first 24G SAS SSD made with sixth-generation V-NAND memory chips, according to Samsung, with its storage capacity ranging from 800 gigabytes to 30.72 terabytes for enterprise server systems. SAS is a high-speed data transfer interface used for servers or storage devices for large computers.
- March 2021 - Western Digital announced the upcoming launch of several new consumer-oriented portable SSDs with 4TB capacities, with new offerings from the SanDisk, WD, and WD_Black brands. The new 4TB SSDs are designed for gamers, content creators, and creative professionals who need additional storage space to work with. For gamers, the WD_Black offers read speeds up to 2000MB/s, and it is compatible with PCs, PlayStations, and Xbox One game libraries. It will be available later this quarter for USD 750.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Industry
4.4.1 Supply chain disruptions to impact the enterprise SSD segment in the short & medium-term as several large-scale organizations continue to stockpile their inventory
4.4.2 Marginal rise in prices of Client SSD’s which currently offer smaller profit margins as compared to the Enteprise segments
4.4.3 Stable demand from emerging applications such as gaming consoles
4.4.4 Mapping of the effect of COVID-19 on the overall industry performance for 2020 & 2021
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.5.1 Market Drivers
126.96.36.199 Growing Adoption in Data Center Applications
188.8.131.52 High Demand from the High-end Cloud Segment
184.108.40.206 Greater Utility of SSD over HDD in Key Verticals
4.5.2 Market Challenges
220.127.116.11 Concerns over Cost and Total Lifespan of SSD’s
4.6 Market Opportunities
5. SSD MARKET ANALYSIS
5.1 SSD Pricing Analysis (2014-2018)
5.2 Evolution of SSD Market (in comparison to the HDD)
5.3 Unit Shipment Analysis (2014-2018)
5.4 Analysis of the Storage capacity & Form Factor of SSD and their evolution
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By SSD Interface (Overview, Trends, Forecasts & Market Outlook)
6.2 By Application (Overview, Trends, Forecasts & Market Outlook)
6.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS
7.1 Vendor Market Share Analysis
7.2 Analysis of the key differentiators and strategies of major SSD Manufacturers (Enterprise & Client)
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
8.1 Company Profiles*
8.1.1 Intel Corporation
8.1.2 Samsung Group
8.1.3 Micron Technology Inc.
8.1.4 Western Digital Corporation
8.1.5 Seagate Technology LLC
8.1.6 SK Hynix Inc.
8.1.7 ADATA Technology Co. Ltd
8.1.8 Kingston Technology Corporation
8.1.9 Transcend Information Inc.
8.1.10 Teclast Electronics Co., Limited
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Solid State Drive (SSD) Market market is studied from 2021 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Global Solid State Drive (SSD) Market?
The Global Solid State Drive (SSD) Market is growing at a CAGR of 17.2% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Solid State Drive (SSD) Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Solid State Drive (SSD) Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Global Solid State Drive (SSD) Market?
Intel Corporation, Samsung Group, Western Digital Corporation, Kingston Technology Corporation, Micron Technology Inc. are the major companies operating in Global Solid State Drive (SSD) Market.