Social & Emotional Learning Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Social & Emotional Learning Market Analysis
The Social and Emotional Learning Market size was valued at USD 2,655.33 million in 2022, and is expected to reach USD 9,216.05 million by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 0.22% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
With an increasing number of states, provinces, and countries closing learning institutions in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, almost 70% of the world's students are currently not attending school, per a UNESCO study of last year. The Commonwealth of Learning (COL) has improved in transmitting its expertise and resources to associated stakeholders to ensure that learning is open to all.
- Social-emotional learning is essential to a well-rounded education, and various research shows that it helps with academic success among adopters. According to a study conducted by CASEL that includes findings from 213 school-based universal social and emotional learning (SEL) programs involving 270,034 kindergartens through high school students, evidence-based SEL programs produce a wide variety of positive outcomes for students, from improved attitudes to decreased behavioral issues to increased academic performance.
- Multiple governments and associations globally are instrumental in promoting SEL adoption as a part of the core curriculum. Federal policy in the US plays a key role in creating conditions that support the statewide and districtwide implementation of SEL so all students can benefit.
- In March last year, in the US, Congressman Tim Ryan introduced the Social and Emotional Learning for Families (SELF) Act on International SEL Day, authorizing a competitive grant program to increase the capacity of teachers and school leaders to work with families.
- Additionally, the decline in student well-being following school closures has made the need for connection and social-emotional recovery a crucial and excellent area for growth. For instance, the Committee for Children, a supplier of social-emotional learning (SEL) curricula based on research, announced an increase with the new digital offering by releasing the Second Step Elementary digital program, a fully web-based curriculum for Grades K 5.
- Besides, the value of noncognitive skills as per the Perry Preschool program led to improvements in behavior and academic motivation to reduce the long-term effects on crime and employment. Also, children's inadequate levels of social and emotional functioning have been attributed to a rise in multiple public health problems (e.g., substance abuse, obesity, and violence).
- With students' well-being declining since the closure of schools, the need for connection and social-emotional recovery has become a critical and prime opportunity for expansion. For example, in March last year, the Committee for Children, a provider of research-based social-emotional learning (SEL) curricula, announced an expansion with the new digital offering by releasing the Second Step Elementary digital program, a fully web-based curriculum for Grades K 5.
- The COVID-19 outbreak resulted in students shifting to online learning mode over the last couple of years. This has resulted in different challenges for students and educators worldwide. Educators faced challenges balancing personal lives from quickly adapting to remote learning mode. They were overwhelmed with stress, trauma, and burnout, according to key findings from the last year's State of the US Teacher Survey, by RAND Corporation.
Social & Emotional Learning Industry Segmentation
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is a process developed to lead children and adults to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, reduce anxiety, boost confidence, establish positive relationships, improve social interactions, etc. SEL helps students and adults succeed in school and life.
The Social and Emotional Learning Market is Segmented by Component (Solutions, Services), End-User (Pre-K, Elementary Schools, and Middle and High Schools), and Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|Middle and High Schools|
|Rest of the World|
Social & Emotional Learning Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Social & Emotional Learning Market according to our research experts:
The Elementary Schools Segment Drives the SEL Market
- According to a fall last year survey from Northwestern University, Iowa, an increasing number of educators focus on social and emotional learning. SEL is becoming more and more necessary in elementary school classrooms as mental health and behavioral disorders in children and adolescents rise. The application of SEL aids teachers while fostering students' enthusiasm for learning. Teachers can choose the best SEL program for their students and classrooms once the need has been identified, ensuring that each student's needs are met.
- BYJU'S (Think and Learn Pvt. Ltd), India's most popular learning app, has recently added 'Science' as a learning program for children in grades 1-3 on its Disney app. BYJU's Early Learn app is now available in India. The app aims to provide a more personalized experiential experience with an entirely new user-friendly interface. The enhanced digitally-enabled worksheets also support child handwriting recognition, making it a one-of-a-kind offering in the learning space.
- Likewise, "National University" also asserts that SEL can benefit individuals for the rest of their lives by fostering empathy, self-awareness, security, and classroom participation. It has been demonstrated that SEL program skills can improve students' capacity to deal with emotional stress, find solutions to problems, and resist peer pressure to engage in risky behavior. These elements drive the SEL market.
- In April last year, HundrED partnered with The LEGO Foundation to identify the most impactful and scalable educational innovations in the world that foster SEL skills in students aged 5-12. The project aims to identify 10-20 innovations that promote safe learning environments, encourage caring and nurturing relationships, are responsive to learners' needs, and can be embedded across sociocultural contexts.
- Moreover, educational technology companies and organizations provide remote SEL solutions and services to help educators learn social and emotional from teachers, students, and families during school closures caused by the COVID-19 outbreak. And have endeavored to provide resources for psychological well-being.
- Additionally, In March last year, Committee for Children, a global non-profit provider of exploratory social sentiment learning (SEL) curriculum, was newly added to the program portfolio using the organization's first complete digital web program, which is the organization's first fully web-based offering for Grades K–5. The program also includes easy online access to all course materials to simplify preparation, instruction, and progress tracking. Such a curriculum helped elementary schools to boost the demand for SEL.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Hold the Largest Market Share
- Moreover, the flexibility and growth of kids and teenagers have long been supported by after-school SEL programs, according to a National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) survey from April last year. The survey found that the region's children and teenagers participating in SEL programs benefit from increased self-awareness, constructive social behavior, fewer student discipline initiatives, and increased participation and achievement.
- Moreover, In May last year, Aperture Education, United States, a provider of research-supported social and emotional learning (SEL) assessments for kindergarten through high school schools, acquired Ascend. With this acquisition, Aperture will be able to expand its SEL services for high schools by providing a mobile-enabled software platform for school districts and after-school programs to engage students in their social and emotional learning.
- However, since the transition back to the classroom has begun, federal relief funds from the American Rescue Plan are flowing to public K-12 districts, thus, expecting the schools and districts to renew their focus on prioritizing social and emotional support for educators.
- For instance, in Feb last year, Nearpod, USA, a provider of student-centered, pre-K–12 personalized practice and assessment, agreed to unlock an unparalleled level of student insights. Nearpod provides an interactive educational platform that integrates real-time formative assessment and dynamic media for live and self-learning experiences in and out of the classroom, allowing educators to see what their students are doing in real-time efficiently.
- The increase in American government funding and initiatives is expected to increase market demand. The USD 123 billion input to K-12 education in the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021 delivers a crucial possibility to invest in systemic approaches to social and emotional learning (SEL) that thoroughly support students and schools through the pandemic and beyond. Such developments are augmenting the demand.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Social & Emotional Learning Industry Overview
The social and emotional learning market is moderately fragmented. The social and emotional learning (SEL) market consists of influential players such as Emotional ABCs, Everfi, Inc., Committee for Children, and more. Some of these essential actors currently manage the market regarding market share. These significant players with a noticeable share in the market are concentrating on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These businesses leverage strategic collaborative actions to improve their market share and enhance profitability.
- April 2022 - Panorama Education, United States, an educational technology company that helps students achieve academic success and improve social and emotional learning and well-being, launched Panorama for Positive Behaviors. Available on mobile and desktop, this new tool for district leaders and teachers is designed to drive success through active student behavioral enhancement.
Social & Emotional Learning Market Leaders
Committee for Children
The Social Express Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Social & Emotional Learning Market News
- May 2022 - The edtech decacorn BYJU plans to invest USD 200 million over the next two years into its hybrid tuition centers, with ambitious growth goals. A hybrid online-offline learning system is what the company's Tuition Center initiative aims to build. The edtech firm intends to enroll 2.5 to 3 lakh students in the upcoming years, according to Bajaj, Head of the Byju'sTuition Center. The model is board-neutral and designed for students in Classes 4 to 10. The company additionally mentions that a monthly fee of between Rs 3,500 and Rs 4,000 is charged at company-run centers.
- April 2022 - Panorama Education, a firm that develops educational technology to help students achieve academic success while improving social-emotional learning and well-being, introduced Panorama for Positive Behavior. This new tool for district officials and instructors, available on mobile and desktop, is intended to increase student performance through positive behavior reinforcement.
Social & Emotional Learning Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.3 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the SEL Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Social and Emotional Learning Initiatives by Government Organizations
5.1.2 Progress in Computing in the K-12 Sector
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Huge Capital Requirement for SEL Across Developing Countries
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Component
6.2 By End-User
6.2.2 Elementary School
6.2.3 Middle and High Schools
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Emotional ABCs Inc.
7.1.2 EVERFI Inc.
7.1.3 Committee for Children (Second Steps)
7.1.4 The Social Express Inc.
7.1.5 Everyday Speech
7.1.6 Peekapak Inc.
7.1.7 Purpose Prep. (Weld North LLC)
7.1.8 Nearpod Inc.
7.1.9 Aperture Education LLC
7.1.10 Kickboard Inc.
7.1.11 Taproot Learning
7.1.12 Rethink ED
7.1.13 Evolution Labs
7.1.14 Panorama Education
7.1.15 BASE Educational Services Pvt. Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Social & Emotional Learning Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Social and Emotional Learning Market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Social and Emotional Learning Market?
The Social and Emotional Learning Market is growing at a CAGR of 24.7% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Social and Emotional Learning Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2020-2027.
Which region has largest share in Social and Emotional Learning Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Social and Emotional Learning Market?
Emotional ABCs, EVERFI, Inc., Committee for Children, The Social Express Inc., Everyday Speech are the major companies operating in Social and Emotional Learning Market.
Social and Emotional Learning Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Social and Emotional Learning market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Social and Emotional Learning analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.