|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The small-scale LNG market was estimated to be USD 6.85 billion in 2019, and it is expected to regsiter a CAGR of 12.63% during the forecast period of 2021-2026. The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted the market due to disruption in the supply chain, reduction in energy consumption, and discouraging investments in newer technologies. However, with increasing pressure on large-scale LNG plants to showcase returns to investors, the operating companies are increasingly backing small-scale LNG initiatives. The small-scale LNG plant with a capacity of less than 1 MTPA can be constructed within three years, compared to large-scale LNG plants, which can take up to 10 years. Moreover, factors, such as increasing demand for LNG in bunkering, road transportation, and off-grid power, are expected to drive the small-scale LNG market in the coming years. However, factors such as the high operation cost of small-scale LNG and lack of supporting infrastructure in the regions such as the Middle-East and Africa and high CAPEX requirements, along with a long payback period of more than 12 years, are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Transportation application is expected to dominate the small-scale LNG market, owing to the increasing demand for LNG as a fuel source for ships and heavy-duty trucks.
- Owing to the high capital expenditure required for a small-scale LNG infrastructure, the development of cost-efficient small-scale LNG infrastructure is expected to provide significant opportunities to the small-scale LNG technology providers and transporters in the future.
- Europe dominated the market across the world, with the majority of the demand coming from countries such as Norway, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
Scope of the Report
The small-scale LNG market report includes:
|Mode of Supply|
|Transhipment and Bunkering|
|Pipeline and Rail|
|Geography (Market Size for Regions Only)|
Key Market Trends
Transportation Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- LNG is primarily used to fuel trucks and ships, mainly due to its economic and environmental benefits, as compared to diesel and fuel oil. Since LNG is non-corrosive and non-toxic in nature, it can extend the life of a vehicle by up to three times. Moreover, since LNG has an extremely low boiling point, very little heat is required to convert it into a gaseous form at high pressure, with negligible mechanical energy. This makes LNG an efficient fuel for transportation.
- Handling LNG is an immense task since even a slight difference in the temperature can lead to the boiling and vaporization of fuel, which, in turn, leads to fuel wastage. Therefore, it makes passenger cars far less viable than heavy vehicles, such as commercial trucks. This has limited the application of LNG in the transportation segment.
- The use of LNG as a transportation fuel is gaining momentum across the world. China, the United States, and Europe have already started deploying LNG-powered trucks, mainly for long-distance freight carriage. This is mainly due to the government policies and regulations on decarbonizing and emission control, such as China VI and European Green Deal.
- Formed in 2019 by the European Commission, the European Green Deal is a set of policy initiatives with an aim to make Europe carbon-neutral by 2050. The policies briefly underline the importance of LNG in reaching the aim, and they emphasize the usage of LNG as fuel for trucks and marine vessels.
- According to SEA-LNG, as of 2020, there were 75 LNG-fueled ships in operation, and 155 LNG-fueled ships were on order.
- In January 2020, the International Maritime Organization began implementing a new regulation by placing a 0.5% global sulfur cap on marine fuels. Thus, LNG has become a more viable option as a marine fuel since it emits almost 90% lower NOx and virtually no SOx and particulate matter in comparison to the existing petroleum-based marine fuel oils. Therefore, in this clean air initiative, LNG will play a key role. This will also have a significantly positive impact on the small-scale LNG market.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, the demand for small-scale LNG infrastructure for the transportation segment is likely to grow and significantly dominate the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific in recent years has been a pioneer in the implementation of small-scale LNG projects across the globe. Interest in the use of small-scale LNG (SSLNG) has increased in recent years, as the demand for natural gas continues to increase in countries like China, India, Singapore, Japan, and others.
- As of 2019, China had nearly 200 small-scale liquefaction facilities with around 15 million ton per annum (MTPA) capacity. China’s natural gas market includes domestic production and import via pipelines and LNG terminals. In China, the rising demand for small-scale LNG is from industrial, residential, and power generation sectors, with the highest potential in the transportation sector. As of 2020, China has around 113 thousands units of LNG trucks, and with a growing focus on having an alternate low carbon emission fuel for heavy truck transportation, LNG as a fuel would be the best substitute for diesel-fueled engines. Growth in the number of LNG trucks due to the higher price of diesel, as compared to natural gas, is expected to be the prime reason for which small LNG facilities are growing in China.
- While in India, small-scale LNG is in its very nascent stage. As of 2020, there were no small-scale LNG terminals in the country. However, there are a few LNG stations for which LNG transportation through LNG trucks is taking place. With the intention of increasing the share of natural gas to 15% in its energy mix by 2030, India is likely to construct small-scale LNG facilities for natural gas supply to remote places with no pipeline infrastructure.
- Small-scale LNG business in Singapore is majorly driven by the LNG bunkering facilities in the ports of Singapore. Singapore has one of the leading trade ports and is one of the global leaders in international marine shipping. In May 2021, FueLNG and the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) completed Singapore’s first bunkering of an LNG-fueled oil tanker, Pacific Emerald. Further, FueLNG announced its plans to provide 30 to 50 ship-to-ship LNG bunkering operations in 2021.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the growth of the small-scale market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The small-scale LNG market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major players include the Linde Group, Wartsila Oyj Abp, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, Engie SA, and PJSC Gazprom.
- In February 2021, the authorization from the Ministry of Economic Development, in agreement with the Ministry of Infrastructures and Transport and the Tuscany Region, provided the discharge of LNG on small-scale LNG carriers. OLT Offshore LNG Toscana SpA (OLT) announced the next step toward the finalization of the small-scale LNG project.
- In August 2020, Wipro Limited announced the successful implementation of a blockchain-based small-scale liquefied natural gas (ssLNG) trading/fulfillment platform for Uniper Global Commodities SE and its 100% LNG-for-trucks subsidiary Liqvis GmbH.
- In November 2020, FGEN LNG, a unit of First Gen Corporation, was looking into the potential small-scale LNG development in the First Philippine Industrial Park (FPIP). FPIP could receive LNG via trucks and specialized insulated containers supplied from FGEN LNG’s Interim Offshore LNG terminal. This is expected to aid the growth of the market.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2026
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Liquefaction Terminal
5.1.2 Regasification Terminal
5.2 Mode of Supply
5.2.2 Transhipment and Bunkering
5.2.3 Pipeline and Rail
5.3.2 Industrial Feedstock
5.3.3 Power Generation
5.3.4 Other Applications
5.4 Geography (Market Size for Regions Only)
5.4.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Small-scale LNG Technology Providers
18.104.22.168 The Linde Group
22.214.171.124 Wartsila Oyj Abp
126.96.36.199 Baker Hughes Company
188.8.131.52 Honeywell International Inc.
184.108.40.206 Chart Industries Inc.
220.127.116.11 Black & Veatch Corp
6.3.2 Small-scale LNG Marine Transporter
18.104.22.168 Anthony Veder Group NV
22.214.171.124 Engie SA
126.96.36.199 Evergas AS
6.3.3 Small-scale LNG Operators
188.8.131.52 Royal Dutch Shell PLC
184.108.40.206 Eni SpA
220.127.116.11 PJSC Gazprom
18.104.22.168 TotalEnergies SE
22.214.171.124 Gasum Oy
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Small-scale LNG Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Small-scale LNG Market?
The Small-scale LNG Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.93% over the next 5 years.
What is Small-scale LNG Market size in 2019?
The Small-scale LNG Market is valued at 6 Billion USD in 2019.
What is Small-scale LNG Market size in 2026?
The Small-scale LNG Market is valued at 13 Billion USD in 2026.
Which region has highest growth rate in Small-scale LNG Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Small-scale LNG Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Small-scale LNG Market?
The Linde Group, Wartsila Oyj Abp, Engie SA, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, PJSC Gazprom are the major companies operating in Small-scale LNG Market.