Saudi Arabia Construction Industry Overview
|CAGR:||> 5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Saudi Arabia Construction Market Analysis
The Saudi Arabian construction market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 5% over the forecast period. Before the COVID-19 outbreak, the infrastructure and construction industry in Saudi Arabia was among the largest in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region, with more than USD 825 billion worth of planned and un-awarded projects. The industry saw growth in the contracts awarded – from USD 11.2 billion in 2016 to USD 14.6 billion in 2018. The total value of construction contracts awarded in Saudi Arabia during the third quarter (Q3) of 2020 collapsed by 84% to figures for the same period in 2019 as the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic continued to spread.
- The improvement in the state of the world economy, along with the relaxation of COVID-19 regulations and a rise in oil prices, all contributed to the industry's output in 2021. The government's initiatives to build transportation and energy infrastructure, as well as its emphasis on diversifying the economy away from oil, are predicted to support the industry's annual average growth of 5% during the forecast period.
- The budget for 2022 was set at SAR 955 billion (USD 254.4 billion), of which SAR 42 billion (USD 11.2 billion) was for the infrastructure of transportation, SAR 32 billion (USD 8.5 billion) for general government expenses, and SAR 54 billion (USD 4.4 billion) for economic resources.
- The Ministry of Energy stated during the Saudi budget discussion that it anticipates spending on power and renewable energy projects to exceed SAR 1.1 trillion (USD 293.3 billion) by 2030. Power transmission projects will receive investments totaling SAR 430 billion (USD 114.7 billion) of the total. By 2030, the nation also intends to invest SAR 142 billion (USD 37.9 billion) in energy distribution projects and SAR 380 billion (USD 101.3 billion) in renewable energy.
- The Saudi Arabian construction market is expected to witness significant growth and offer lucrative potential due to its Vision 2030, NTP 2020, and several ongoing reforms to diversify away from oil. Vision 2030, NTP 2020, the private sector investment boost, and the ongoing reforms are expected to be the growth drivers for the Saudi construction market during the forecasted period.
- Saudi Arabia's Vision 2030, along with a significant investment in housing and infrastructure development promoted across the country by local authorities, is revitalizing the construction industry and generating interest in a growing number of international players.
Saudi Arabia Construction Industry Segments
The construction market includes a wide range of activity that covers upcoming, ongoing, and growing construction projects in different sectors, which include but are not limited to geotechnical (underground structures) and superstructures in residential, commercial, and industrial structures, as well as infrastructure construction (like roads, railways, and airports) and power generation and transmission related infrastructure.
The Saudi Arabian construction market report covers a complete analysis of the industry, including the current economic and market scenario, market size estimation for key segments, emerging trends in the market segments, market dynamics, and key comparisons among Saudi Arabia and other GCC member countries. The report also covers the impact of COVID-19 on the market.
The market is segmented by Construction Type into Commercial Construction, Residential Construction, Industrial Construction, Infrastructure (Transportation Construction), and Energy and Utility Construction. The report offers market size and forecasts for the Saudi Arabian construction market in value (USD billion) for all the above segments.
|Infrastructure (Transportation) Construction|
|Energy and Utilities Construction|
Saudi Arabia Construction Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Saudi Arabia Construction Market according to our research experts:
Giga Infrastructure Projects in Saudi Arabia to Boost the Construction Market Sector
The significance of construction in Saudi Arabia is underscored by its suite of Giga projects, transport and mobility schemes, such as Riyadh Metro, social infrastructure developments, such as the Ministry of Housing's Sakani program, and energy megaprojects, such as the state-owned Aramco's Berri and Marjan oil fields.
Currently, the country's economy is entering a post-oil era in which the kingdom's mega-cities, which are under construction, will provide future growth. According to industry sources, more than 5,200 construction projects are currently ongoing in Saudi Arabia at a value of USD 819 billion. These projects account for approximately 35% of the total value of active projects across the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
Some of the major urban construction projects in Saudi Arabia include the King Abdullah Security Compounds (Phase 5) and the Grand Mosque (Holy Haram Mosque expansion), each valued at USD 21.3 billion and developed by the Ministry of Municipalities and Rural Affairs in Makkah.
The top construction projects in Saudi Arabia include Neom, the Red Sea Project, Qiddiya entertainment city, Amaala, Jean Nouvel's Sharaan resort in Al-Ula, Makkah Grand Mosque – Third Expansion, Jeddah Tower, Ministry of Housing's Sakani homes, Jabal Omar, Al Widyan, Riyadh Metro, Riyadh Rapid Bus Transit System, King Fahd Medical City Expansion, King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz Medical Complexes, King Salman Energy Park (Spark), Saudi Aramco's Berri and Marjan, Hanergy Solar Park, Dumat Al Jandal Wind Power Plant, Saudi Aramco-Total's PIB factory, and Pan-Asia bottling facility.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increase in Demand for Housing Boosts Residential Construction
The residential market in Riyadh continues to expand. Apartment prices in Riyadh were up by 17% in Q3 2021, the highest rate of increase in at least five years. Meanwhile, villa prices increased by close to 10% over the same period.
The growing demand is being fuelled by a growing urban population, which is a direct result of an inflow of Saudi nationals and expatriates who are relocating to Riyadh from other cities. Similar to Riyadh, Jeddah’s residential market saw apartment prices surge by 11.7% in Q3 2021, the strongest rate of growth in at least five years.
Villa prices, on the other hand, rose by just 1.3% over the same period. Mirroring the Jeddah market, average apartment prices in Dammam Metropolitan Area (DMA) rose by 5.5% in Q3 2021, while average villa prices declined by 1.9% over the same period. Like elsewhere in the Kingdom, due to the rising affordability challenges, most buyers are gravitating toward apartments and townhouses, and developers are responding to the growing number of townhouse projects.
Saudi Arabia Construction Market Competitor Analysis
The Saudi Arabian construction market is highly competitive, with the presence of major international players. The Saudi Arabian construction market presents opportunities for growth during the forecast period, which is expected to further drive the market competition.
The government's attention has shifted more and more toward Saudi Arabia's housing scarcity, which is a result of the country's population expansion. The enormous need for cement and other building materials, as well as the number of ongoing and new projects in Saudi Arabia, serve as indicators of the demand for construction services.
The government's focus on the creation of general infrastructure as well as energy and utility construction projects is anticipated to help the construction industry's output as part of its effort to diversify its economy away from the oil industry.
With a few players holding a significant market share, the Saudi Arabian construction market has an observable level of consolidation. Some of the key players include JGC Corp., SNC-Lavalin, Fluor Corp., Van Oord Dredging & Marine Contractors BV, and VINCI.
Saudi Arabia Construction Market Top Players
China Energy Engineering Corp. Ltd
Tekfen Construction and Installation Co. Inc.
Samsung C&T Engineering & Construction
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Saudi Arabia Construction Market Recent Developments
- Jul 2022: Saudi Arabia is embarking on an ambitious plan to build the world’s largest structure in the northwest of the kingdom. The structure known as Mirror Line consists of two reflective glass structures that reach 1,600 feet (488 meters) in height and run parallel for 120 kilometers (75 miles) across coastal, mountainous, and desert terrain.
- Jan 2022: Saudi Aramco awarded a contract worth AED 8.2 billion (USD 2.23 billion) to Abu Dhabi’s National Petroleum Construction Company (NPCC) for two packages in the Zuluf Offshore Field. The project is expected to be executed over three years.
Saudi Arabia Construction Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Market
1.2 Market Definition
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Current Economic and Construction Market Scenario
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Technological Innovations in the Construction Sector
4.4 Impact of Government Regulations and Initiatives on the Industry
4.5 Mapping of Industrial Clusters and SEZs and a Brief Analysis of Investment Opportunity
4.6 Review and Commentary on the Extent of Saudi Arabia's Economy Diversification
4.7 Comparison of Key Industry Metrics of Saudi Arabia with Other GCC Member Countries (Analyst View)
4.8 Comparison of Construction Cost Metrics of Saudi Arabia with Other GCC Member Countries (Analyst View)
4.9 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.2 Market Restraints
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.4 Industry Attractiveness- Porter's Five Forces Analysis
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 BY SECTOR
6.1.1 Commercial Construction
6.1.2 Residential Construction
6.1.3 Industrial Construction
6.1.4 Infrastructure (Transportation) Construction
6.1.5 Energy and Utilities Construction
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Market Concentration Overview
7.2 Company Profiles
7.2.2 CB&I LLC
7.2.3 China Energy Engineering Corp. Ltd
7.2.4 China Railway Construction Corp. Ltd
7.2.5 Fluor Corp.
7.2.6 Tekfen Construction and Installation Co. Inc.
7.2.7 Gilbane Building Co.
7.2.9 AL Jazirah Engineers & Consultants
7.2.10 Al Latifa Trading and Contracting
7.2.11 Afras For Trading And Contracting Company
7.2.12 Al-Rashid Trading & Contracting Company
7.2.13 Al Yamama For Business And Contracting
7.2.14 Mohammed Al Mojil Group Co.
7.2.15 Al-Jabreen Contracting Co.*
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Saudi Arabia Construction Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Saudi Arabia Construction Market market is studied from 2018 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Saudi Arabia Construction Market?
The Saudi Arabia Construction Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Saudi Arabia Construction Market?
Bechtel, CB&I LLC, China Energy Engineering Corp. Ltd, Tekfen Construction and Installation Co. Inc., Samsung C&T Engineering & Construction are the major companies operating in Saudi Arabia Construction Market.
Saudi Arabia Construction Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Saudi Arabia Construction sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Saudi Arabia Construction research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Saudi Arabia Construction report PDF.