Probiotics Dietary Supplements Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 7.81 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 10.32 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||5.72 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Probiotics Dietary Supplements Market Analysis
The Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market size is expected to grow from USD 7.81 billion in 2023 to USD 10.32 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 5.72% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Consumers have become health conscious and familiarized themselves with the benefits of probiotic supplements on health, propelling market demand. Various studies stating the positive impact of the consumption of the probiotic supplement on the host is further driving market demand. Manufacturers are introducing innovative supplements to cater to consumer demand.
- For instance, they are offering customized probiotic supplements as per the need of individuals as consumers are becoming increasingly aware of the probiotic content to be taken by them. Different delivery formats, such as liquids, capsules, and powders, are being introduced in the market.
- For instance, in April 2021, Cosmax NBT, a South Korea-based supplements company, developed Zeta Probiotics Technology. The technology enables restoring the cell wall of probiotic microbes after passing through the freeze-drying process, thereby improving the viability and adhesion of probiotic strains in the intestine.
- The probiotic dietary supplements market is majorly positively affected by increasing interest in online self-education, a strong emphasis on preventive healthcare driving the regional demand. Convenience dietary products like chewable gummies and capsules are responsible for the significant growth of probiotic dietary supplements. These products are offered in different flavors, such as apple, orange, and raspberry, which attract consumers.
- Streptococcus thermophilus is a commonly used lactic acid bacteria in probiotic supplements, which helps regulate the digestive tract's functioning and immune system response. Lactobacillus is another lactic acid-producing bacteria in supplements, which helps regulate the digestive tract and is efficient in treating diarrhea, skin disorder, high cholesterol, irritable bowel syndrome, and lung infections.
- Market players are focusing on developing new probiotic formulations based on beneficial bacteria that can address various health ailments. For instance, in June 2021, Lonza collaborated with Kaged Muscle, a sports nutrition company based in California.
Probiotics Dietary Supplements Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market according to our research experts:
Rising Health Awareness Promoting demand
- Consumers are increasingly becoming aware of their health which is anticipated to propel the demand for digestive health supplements, especially probiotics. Many consumers are now accepting the role of digestive health in maintaining weight, energy levels, and overall physical health, which will likely boost the demand for probiotics over the years.
- The rising consumer awareness about the impact of nutrition on health and rising proclivity towards healthier diets has triggered the production and commercialization of food with certain health claims by manufacturers. The consumption of probiotics is rising in western markets, wherein consumers adopt a holistic approach toward healthy living.
- Probiotic supplements have been available for decades, with consumption being driven by strain-specific health benefits to the consumer. According to the International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics, scientific study on probiotic strains reveals health benefits in reducing necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants, reducing the occurrence of atopic issues such as eczema in infants and colic symptoms in breastfed babies, reducing the risk or duration of upper respiratory tract infections or gut infections.
- A survey by the International Food Information Council in 2021 revealed that 51% of Americans consume probiotics to support gut health, 33% take them to support immune health, 38% take probiotics for general health and wellness, while 13% revealed that they consume probiotics to support and emotional health.
- Therefore, the augmented interest of consumers in maintaining good digestive health offers a wonderful opportunity for the market players to develop innovative products for digestive health conditions. Furthermore, the research development and the launch of innovative products providing a broader range of health benefits are bound to support market growth.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Holds the Major Share in Probiotic Dietary Supplements
Europe dominated the global market for probiotic dietary supplements, with around one-third of the market share. The importance of gut health and its connection with mental health, weight loss, and healthy skin fosters the growth of probiotics products in the United Kingdom. Consumers are opting for digestive supplements with strong bacterial strains and high CFU (Colony Forming Units) since they claim to increase the chances for good bacteria to colonize the gut. This is expected to boost the growth of the digestive supplements market during the forecast period. Healthcare professionals across the region are recommending these digestive supplements that improve the cases of heartburn or indigestion among consumers in the country. As per the data provided by the health insurance company of the United Kingdom in 2021, Bupa, around four in every ten people in the United Kingdom, gets indigestion every year. It can affect people differently, but indigestion symptoms often include pain or a burning feeling just under the ribs or higher up in the chest. Therefore, this increased the point-of-sale for these supplements via pharmacies and drugstores.
The increasing health awareness among the population in Russia is fueling the demand for probiotic ingredients based on final products, as they can overcome nutritional shortcomings and improve gut health. This is expected to drive Russia's probiotic products market during the forecast period. In September 2021, The Arnica company launched a modern production of probiotics at the NadezhdinskayaTOR. The production of one-of-a-kind products is aimed at consumers both in Russia and abroad. According to the data published by Associazione Nazionale Produttori e Distributori Prodotti Salutistici, Food supplements related to digestive and intestinal tract wellness witnessed a value of EUR 413 million; probiotics recorded a sales value of EUR 387 million in 2020. For instance, in 2021, the probiotics company Probi and over-the-counter health and wellness player Perrigo signed a semi-exclusive agreement to bring premium probiotic digestive and immune health concepts to Italy.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Probiotics Dietary Supplements Industry Overview
Some major players in the probiotic dietary supplements are BioGaia, Optibac Probiotics Inc, Procter & Gamble, Koninklijke DSM NV, and Church & Dwight Co., Inc., among others. Market players adopt strategic approaches like product innovation and launches, partnerships, expansion, acquisitions, etc., to maintain their market position. For instance, Perrigo and Probi signed a comprehensive pan-European agreement in February 2021 to launch and expand premium probiotic digestive and immune health concepts in 14 European countries. The products offer validated probiotic strains and have documented positive effects clinically. Furthermore, the partnership is bound to strengthen the company's foothold in many European countries in probiotics.
Probiotics Dietary Supplements Market Leaders
Reckitt Benckiser LLC
Procter & Gamble
Koninklijke DSM NV
Church & Dwight Co., Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Probiotics Dietary Supplements Market News
- February 2022: Lifeway Foods Inc company launched the probiotic drink with live and active probiotics. The MSHRM product line offers these drinks in three flavors: reishi vanilla, lion’s mane golden milk, and troop mix wildberry.
- October 2021: Apsen Pharmaceuticals company launched its new product, “Probians.” The product contains a combination of Lactobacillus helveticus Rosell-52 and Bifidobacterium longum Rosell 175.
- March 2021: The Netherlands Food and Drug Administration released guidance stating that “probiotic” is allowed on food and supplement labels as mandatory information that characterizes the product.
- February 2021: The probiotics company Probi and over-the-counter health and wellness player Perrigo signed a semi-exclusive agreement to bring premium probiotic digestive and immune health concepts to Italy.
Probiotics Dietary Supplements Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumption & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Capsules and Tablets
5.1.2 Powdered Supplements
5.1.3 Probiotic Drinks and Shots
5.1.4 Gummies and Chews
5.2 By Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Pharmacy/Health Stores
5.2.3 Online Stores
5.2.4 Other Distribution Channels
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.2 Reckitt Benckiser LLC
6.3.3 Procter & Gamble
6.3.4 Koninklijke DSM NV
6.3.5 Church & Dwight Co., Inc.
6.3.6 PharmaCare Laboratories Pty Ltd
6.3.7 Optibac Probiotics Inc.
6.3.8 Dr. Willmar Schwabe GMBH & Co. KG
6.3.9 Amway Corp.
6.3.10 Morishita Jintan Co. Ltd.
6.3.11 Now Foods
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Probiotics Dietary Supplements Market Research FAQs
How big is the Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market?
The Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market size is expected to reach USD 7,812.48 million in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 5.72% to reach USD 10,317.5 million by 2028.
What is the current Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market size?
In 2023, the Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market size is expected to reach USD 7,812.48 million.
Who are the key players in Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market?
BioGaia, Reckitt Benckiser LLC, Procter & Gamble, Koninklijke DSM NV and Church & Dwight Co., Inc. are the major companies operating in the Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market?
In 2023, the Europe accounts for the largest market share in the Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market.
Probiotics Supplements Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Probiotics Supplements market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Probiotics Supplements analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.