|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Saudi Arabian paints and coatings market was estimated at USD 1,271.67 million in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 2% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Owing to the pandemic scenario, the country went into lockdown, which halted all the manufacturing and construction activities, thus, creating a negative impact on the demand in the paints and coatings market. However, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, thereby restoring the growth trajectory of the market studied.
- Over the short term, increasing residential construction activities with government support and increasing tourism in the country are driving the market's growth.
- On the flip side, the impact of COVID-19 on a short to midterm effect and halting of oil and gas production for a definitive period is expected to hinder the market's growth.
Scope of the Report
Paints and coatings can be defined as a liquid material that, when spread over a surface as a relatively thin film, subsequently dries to form a solid, cohesive, adhesive, decorative, and protective layer. Paints and coatings find major applications in the architectural industry as decorative and protective coating. The market is segmented by resin type, technology, and end-user industry. By resin type, the market is segmented into acrylic, alkyd, polyurethane, epoxy, polyester, other resin types. By technology, the market is segmented into water-borne, solvent-borne, radiation cure, and other technologies. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into architectural, automotive, protective coatings market, general industrial, transportation, and other end-user industries. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (USD million).
|Other Resin Types|
|Protective Coatings Market|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Acrylic Resin Dominating the Market
- Acrylic resins are the most widely used polymers in the paint and coatings industry. Most of the acrylic paints are water-based or solvent-based and are available as emulsions (latices), lacquers (lower volume solids), enamels (higher volume solids), and powders (100% solids).
- The common acrylic polymers come in a wide variety of types and combinations, such as methyl and butyl methacrylate. In the case of inexpensive paints, polyvinyl acetate is used primarily.
- The two principal forms of acrylic used are thermoplastic and thermoset. Thermoplastics acrylic resins are synthetic resins achieved by polymerization of different acrylic monomers. Thermosets are cured at elevated temperatures by reacting them with other polymers. Thermoplastic acrylic resins are of two types, namely solution acrylics and acrylic latex coatings.
- Furthermore, acrylic resins develop properties, such as transparency, high colorability, and UV resistance in coating solutions. They are used in waterborne systems very often, which results in low VOC emission. The application of acrylic coatings leads to high surface hardness. In certain applications, such as walls, decks, and roofing, the acrylic coatings provide elastomeric finishes to improve the UV resistance of the surface if employed with some fluids.
- The application of acrylic coatings is primarily found in the construction industry for high-end finishing in roofs, decks, bridges, floors, and other applications. Water-based acrylic coatings are high in demand, owing to environmental concerns, as the negative impact of VOCs affecting the air quality in the environment.
- The primary binder type in the Saudi Arabian paints and coatings market is acrylic, with a total share of more than 70% of all the waterborne coatings. Acrylic is widely used in architectural coatings.
- Such positive factors are likely to increase demand over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Demand from the Architectural Industry
- Paints and coatings are used in the interiors of houses to add colors or decorative purposes and perform a wide range of functions. Their functions vary depending on the type of environment and room that they are used in.
- For example, because of moisture, the bathroom walls need to have wipe-ability for keeping them clean. Paints with glossier sheens have a tighter molecular structure than flat paints, making it more difficult for moisture to penetrate. So, these types of paints are used in the bathroom.
- Paints and coatings are applied on the exterior of the house to give them a new look and protect them from blistering summers, freezing winters, soaking rain, and the daily bombardment of UV radiation without fading, peeling away, and cracking.
- The modern advancements in paint technology, specifically in acrylic formulations, have offered a wide range of weatherproof coatings.
- Saudi Arabia is embarking on many residential and commercial projects, which are expected to increase the construction activities in the country. Some of such projects undertaken or in various phases of development include a USD 500 billion futuristic mega-city ‘Neom’ project, the Red Sea Project – Phase 1, which is due to be completed in 2022.
- These developments in the construction sector are partly due to the robust economic growth and its positive implications on corporate profits, household income, and the state of public finances.
- Furthermore, due to the COVID-19 scenario, the construction industry halted, which had a negative impact on the architectural industry. However, the industry is expected to pick up pace in 2021, thereby driving the market studied.
- These factors are boosting the demand in the architectural paints and coatings market in the country.
The Saudi Arabian paints and coatings market is fragmented. Major companies include Jazeera Paints, Jotun, Akzo Nobel NV, Sigma Coatings (PPG Industries Inc.), and National Paints Factories Co. Ltd, among others.
- In March 2020, Jazeera Paints opened six new showrooms in Riyadh, Tabuk, and the Dhahran St.
- In January 2020, PPG Industries Inc. agreed to acquire Industria Chimica Reggiana, a manufacturer of paints and coatings in the automotive refinish and light industrial coatings industries.
- In April 2019, Jotun launched new wood coating products: Ultra One, Ultra Lite, and Primax Excel.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Residential Construction Activities with Government Support
4.1.2 Increasing Tourism in the Country
4.2.1 Impact of COVID-19
4.2.2 Halting of Oil and Gas Production for a Definitive Period
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value)
5.1 Resin Type
5.1.6 Other Resin Types
5.2.3 Radiation Cure
5.2.4 Other Technologies
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Protective Coatings Market
5.3.4 General Industrial
5.3.6 Other End-user Industries
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Akzo Nobel NV
6.4.2 Jazeera Paints
6.4.3 BASF SE
6.4.5 Kansai Paint Co. Ltd
6.4.6 National Paints Factory Co. Ltd
6.4.7 Sigma Coatings (PPG Industries Inc.)
6.4.8 Protech Powder Coatings Inc.
6.4.9 Sak Coat
6.4.10 The Sherwin Williams Company
6.4.11 United Coatings Industries
6.4.12 Zamil Industrial
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Saudi Arabia Paints and Coatings Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Saudi Arabia Paints and Coatings Market?
The Saudi Arabia Paints and Coatings Market is growing at a CAGR of >2% over the next 5 years.
What is Saudi Arabia Paints and Coatings Market size in 2016?
The Saudi Arabia Paints and Coatings Market is valued at 1271 Million USD in 2016.
Who are the key players in Saudi Arabia Paints and Coatings Market?
Akzo Nobel N.V., Jotun, Jajeera Paints, Sigma Coatings (PPG Industries, Inc.), National Paints Factories Co. Ltd. are the major companies operating in Saudi Arabia Paints and Coatings Market.