Pet Oral Care Products Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Pet Oral Care Products Market Analysis
The pet oral care products market is projected to register a CAGR of 6.7% during the forecast period.
- The high prevalence of dental diseases in pets primarily drives the market. According to the Australian and American veterinary dental societies, more than 80% of dogs develop gum disease by the age of three, compared to more than 70% of cats at the same age. Therefore, the rise in awareness of pet oral health and increased veterinary health expenditure are expected to propel market growth over the forecast period.
- In addition to the rise in awareness about pet oral health, an increase in veterinary health expenditure is a major boost to market growth. Furthermore, rapid advancements and product launches have also propelled the market globally. However, the high cost of products and the need for proper veterinary dentistry in developing countries will likely hamper the global market.
- Though North America and Europe are the most dominant regions, countries in Asia-Pacific, such as Australia, also witness an increase in the adoption of pets. Statistics released by the Pet Food Manufacturers Association in 2019 revealed that the pet ownership rate stood at 57% and 40% among American households and UK veterans, respectively. In contrast, it stood at 61% in the Australian market, with over 29 million pets. The huge pet population and rising expenditure on pet health needs by pet owners are leading to an increase in innovative product launches by various players present in the North American region.
Pet Oral Care Products Industry Segments
Pet oral care products refer to various kinds of appliances, medicines, and other chemicals used to maintain proper oral hygiene and avoid dental diseases in pets.
The pet oral care products market is segmented by product type (mouthwash/rinse, toothpaste, toothbrush, dental chews, veterinary products, and other product types), animal type (dogs and cats), distribution channel (supermarkets/hypermarkets, online channels, specialized pet shops, veterinary channels, and other distribution channels), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Africa). The report offers the market size and forecasts in terms of value in USD million for all the above segments.
|Other Product Types|
|Specialized Pet Shops|
|Other Distribution Channels|
Pet Oral Care Products Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Pet Oral Care Products Market according to our research experts:
High Prevalence of Dental Diseases and Increase in Animal Health Expenditure Expected to Drive the Market
The pet oral care products market is benefitting tremendously, owing to the increasing per capita animal healthcare expenditure. According to the American Pet Product Association (APPA), America has 89.7 million pet dogs, and pet owners spend an average of USD 49.70 on a dog’s dental care annually compared to human oral healthcare. The rise in the prevalence of many diverse oral health-related diseases has been identified as the major driving factor for market growth. Periodontal disease is the most common clinical condition in cats and dogs, which is largely preventable by tooth brushing.
As per the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the disease can lead to severe health concerns ranging from tooth loss to organ failure. According to AVMA, around 70% of cats and 80% of dogs develop some degree or form of periodontal disease by the time they are three years old. Common oral issues among pets include calculus, gingivitis, gum disease, and tooth fractures. According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA), the total pet industry expenditure on average in the United States was USD 90.5 billion in 2018, which increased to USD 123.6 billion in 2021. According to a nationwide pet owner poll by the finance website LendEDU, over half of all Americans spend the same or more on their dogs' healthcare than they do on themselves. 20% of individuals polled have gone into debt to care for their dogs, with the average amount due being USD 1,567. Therefore, high awareness about pet health among pet owners and a rise in the number of dental procedures are other factors expected to propel the market's growth.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Dominates the Pet Oral Care Products Market
North America is expected to retain its dominance in the pet oral care products market over the forecast period, owing to the rising companion animal adoption and the increasing per capita animal healthcare expenditure. In addition, the rise in the prevalence of many diverse oral health-related diseases has been identified as the major driving factor for market growth. According to the American Pet Product Association (APPA), America has 89.7 million pet dogs, and pet owners spend an average of USD 49.70 on a dog’s dental care annually compared to human oral healthcare. On average, an American spends USD 42.24 on his annual dental care in out-of-pocket expenses, as reported by the American Dental Association. According to the American Pet Products Association's 2021-2022 National Pet Owners Survey, 70% of US households, or around 90.5 million families, own a pet. This is an increase from 56% of US households in 1988, the first year the study was performed, to 67% in 2019. Additionally, the high awareness of pet health among pet owners and a rise in the number of dental procedures are other factors propelling the growth of the pet oral care market in North America.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Pet Oral Care Products Market Competitor Analysis
The pet oral care products market is fairly consolidated, with leading global players occupying significant shares in the market. The major players in the market are Mars Inc., Purina Pet Care, Virbac, Ceva, Hills Pet Nutrition Inc., and Vetoqinol SA, among others. The key players in the market have been involved in many strategic activities to increase their market share. They are focused on new product launches, mergers and acquisitions, and expansions to cater to a wider consumer base. Manufacturers are also investing in the production process to reduce the cost of production.
Pet Oral Care Products Market Top Players
Purina Pet Care
Hills Pet Nutrition Inc
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Pet Oral Care Products Market Recent Developments
- September 2021: Royal Canin, a Brand of Mars Inc., launched Health Management, which offered five tailored nutritional ranges designed to support optimal health in cats and dogs: which included oral care products Feline Dental Diet and Canine Dental Diet.
- August 2021: Wellness Pet LLC, a United States-based pet products company, introduced new age-specific and dental health products. The firm introduced WHIMZEES Value Packs assorted dental treats for dogs, which feature a variety of dental chew shapes to support dental hygiene.
- June 2020: Pedigree, a subsidiary of Mars Inc., launched three new dental products, including ‘Dentastix’ for dogs. Dentastix Chewy Chunx helps prevent plaque build-up throughout the day and may launch chicken and beef flavors, with mini or maxi options for smaller or larger dogs.
Pet Oral Care Products Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.4 Dental Chews
5.1.5 Veterinary Products
5.1.6 Other Product Types
5.2 Animal Type
5.3 Distribution Channel
5.3.2 Online Channels
5.3.3 Specialized Pet Shops
5.3.4 Veterinary Channels
5.3.5 Other Distribution Channels
5.4.1 North America
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.4 Hills Pet Nutrition Inc.
6.3.5 Purina Pet Care (Nestle)
6.3.6 HealthyMouth LLC
6.3.7 ImRex Inc.
6.3.8 Mars Incorporated
6.3.9 Petzlife Products Inc.
6.3.10 TropiClean Pet Products
6.3.11 Vetoquinol SA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Pet Oral Care Products Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Pet Oral Care Products Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Pet Oral Care Products Market?
The Pet Oral Care Products Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.7% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Pet Oral Care Products Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Pet Oral Care Products Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Pet Oral Care Products Market?
Mars Incorporated, Ceva, Purina Pet Care, Hills Pet Nutrition Inc, Virbac are the major companies operating in Pet Oral Care Products Market.
Pet Oral Care Products Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Pet Oral Care Products sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Pet Oral Care Products research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Pet Oral Care Products report PDF.