2018 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Packaging Industry in India is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 26.7% during the period (2021-2026). After the COVID-19 pandemic, most developed countries are either burning wastepaper or using it for landfill to avoid coronavirus spread. This has resulted in a huge shortage of raw material for Indian paper mills. The manufacturers of Indian corrugated cardboard boxes are working to keep transport packaging flowing to makers of essential products, including packaging for food and other consumer products, medical and pharmaceutical products, tissue, and hygiene products.
- Further, owing to the rising population, increasing income levels, changing lifestyles, increased media penetration through the internet, television, and growing economy, the demand for packaging is growing. Moreover, it is one of the strongest growing sectors in the country. According to Care Ratings, a prominent credit rating company in India, more than 49% of the paper produced in the country is used for packaging purposes.
- The rapid growth of the market is primarily driven by the pharmaceuticals and foods and beverages industries. Huge investments in the food processing, personal care, and pharmaceuticals end-user industries are creating scope for expansion of the packaging market. According to recent data released by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India, the market size for organized packaged food is expected to reach INR 780 million, in 2020, from INR 530 million, in 2016.
- The rise of the Indian middle class, the rapid expansion of organized retail, growth of exports, and India’s rising e-commerce sector is further facilitating growth. According to the Indian Institute of Packaging (IIP), the packaging consumption in India has increased by 200% in the past decade, rising from 4.3 kg per person per annum (pppa) to 8.6 kg pppa.
- In order to further maximize the potential of the packaging sector in India, the government has been continuously consulting the industry experts. For instance, PIAI (Packaging Industry Association of India) has been asked to formulate policies and guidelines that is expected to augment India’s export potential in the international market.
Scope of the Report
The growth of the Packaging Industry in India is largely driven by various logistic applications, technological advancements, and the development of the packaging sector across the country.The report on the India packaging market studies the market segmentation based on different materials, like paper, plastic, glass, and metal. The end-user verticals that have been considered, while studying the market, include food, beverage, healthcare, cosmetics, personal care, and household care and industrial segment.
|Paper and PaperBoard|
Key Market Trends
Food Industry is Expected to Hold Largest Share in the Market
- The food packaging industry in India witnessed major innovations, in terms of branding and packaging. For instance, iD Fresh has introduced Smart Sip Tender Coconut and iD Grated Coconut, in innovative eco-friendly packaging. Many popular brands, like Amul, Mother Dairy, Patanjali, and others, use UV-protected films, color-changing films, and holographic films to reduce the chance of adulterating their products.
- Packaged food is the fastest-growing segment in the Indian packaging industry. It is expected to fuel the demand for plastic packaging, as it ensures food quality, safety, and long shelf life. According to the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), the expenditure on packaged foods is increasing (at inflection point), due to an increase in per capita income, urbanization, and an increase in the number of working women. According to Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, the sales of packaged food in India amounted to USD 76,284.2 million in 2018, and it is expected to register a CAGR of 18% during the forecast period.
- In India, the grocery market is a traditional retail industry, and therefore, the penetration of online retail is even lower. The expenditure on food and grocery accounts for 60% of the total expenditure on retail in India. However, the food delivery and services market is fostering further growth in the country, with players, like Bigbasket, Grofers, Zomato, Swiggy, Scootsy, registering a rapid increase in sales. According to a study conducted by the Ministry of corporate affairs (India), the revenue generated by Swiggy and Zomato in India in FY 2018 was INR 4.42 billion and INR 4.66 billion, respectively.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Plastic Packaging to Have Significant Market Share
- The industries where plastic bottles and jars are mostly used in the country include food and beverage, cosmetics and personal care, and pharmaceutical industries. Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and HDPE are the preferred materials for manufacturing bottles and jars in India. There are some applications where PVC is still being used to manufacture bottles, jars, and vials. However, due to the increasing environmental concerns, the manufacturers are trying to shift to PET and HDPE.
- Companies, such as Bizongo, is manufacturing the first biodegradable spill-proof meal tray to promote sustainability in the packaging ecosystem.
- Stand-up pouches and pillow pouches are some of the most common types of pouches used in the country. The increasing dairy consumption (especially milk, yogurt, and cream products) and the rising export of dairy products are driving the demand for pillow pouches.
- Plastic bags are among the most used plastic packaging solutions in the country. The growing supermarket chains and Kirana stores are some major factors driving the growth of plastic bags in the country.
The Packaging Industry in India is moderately fragmented in nature, owing to the several players competing to improve their market share. With the rising demand for packaging applications, along with technological advancement across the Indian economy, many companies are increasing their market presence by expanding their business footprint across various end-user markets.
- February 2020 - Parksons Packaging and HP India introduced a digital printing press for carton packaging. Parksons installed its first HP Indigo 30000 digital press, which is also the first B2-format (20 x 30 inch) digital press in the Indian folding carton industry.
- February 2021 - WestRock Company announced the signing of a definitive agreement, pursuant to which WestRock will sell its sawmill located in Summerville, South Carolina, to Interfor Corporation for cash compensation of USD 59 million.
- March 2020 - Uflex Ltd. launched first of its kind eco-friendly paper based tubes for the cosmetic and food industry. Depending on application and pack size, these tubes help reduce plastic consumption at source by up to 65% by replacing it with paper.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Growing Demand for Longer-lasting Packaging Products
4.4.2 Rising Demand for Sustainable Food Packaging Products
4.4.3 Evolving Supply Chain Logistics With E-commerce
4.5 Market Restraints
4.5.1 Stringent Environment Regulations
4.6 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
4.7 Technology Snapshot
5. CURRENT REGULATORY / POLICY SCENARIO
6. ANALYSIS OF GLASS LANDSCAPE (IMPORT & EXPORT ANALYSIS)
6.1 Production Of Glass Sheet
6.2 Production Of Glassware
6.3 Export Analysis
6.3.1 India’s Total Glass Exports
6.3.2 Share of Country wise Glass Exports from India
6.4 Import Analysis
6.4.1 India’s Total Glass Imports
6.4.2 Share of Country wise Glass Imports to India
7. ANALYSIS OF LOCAL PRODUCTION & CONSUMPTION LANDSCAPE (PRODUCTION, CONSUMPTION & EXPORT-IMPORT PARADIGM)
8. ANALYSIS OF INDIA PAPER AND PAPERBOARD LANDSCAPE
8.1 India Wrapping And Packaging Paper And Paperboard Production Import, Export
8.2 India Cartonboard Production, Import , Export (Volume & Value)
8.3 India Recovered Paper Import , Export (Volume & Value)
9. MARKET SEGMENTATION
9.1 Paper and PaperBoard
9.1.1 Product Type
220.127.116.11 Corrugated Boxes
18.104.22.168 Folding Cartons
22.214.171.124 Other Product types
9.1.2 End-user Industry
126.96.36.199 Cosmetics & Personal Care
188.8.131.52 Other End-user Industries
9.2.1 End-User Industry
184.108.40.206 Cosmetics & Perfumery
9.3.1 Material Type
220.127.116.11 Other Material Types
9.3.2 End-user Industry
18.104.22.168 Cosmetics & Personal Care
22.214.171.124 Other End-user Industries
9.4.1 Material Type
126.96.36.199.1 Beverage Cans
188.8.131.52 Caps and Closures
184.108.40.206 Other Product Types (Barrels, Drums, and Others)
9.4.2 End-user Industry
220.127.116.11 Soft Drinks
18.104.22.168 Beer & Cider
22.214.171.124 Pet Care
126.96.36.199 Paints & Stains
188.8.131.52 Health & Beauty
184.108.40.206 Household Care
10. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
10.1 Company Profiles*
10.1.1 Jindal Poly Films Ltd.
10.1.2 Positive Packaging Industries Ltd.
10.1.3 Amcor Limited
10.1.4 Cosmo Films Limited
10.1.5 Essel Propack Limited
10.1.6 Tetra Pak International SA
10.1.7 Uflex Limited
10.1.8 Oji India Packaging Pvt Ltd.
10.1.9 Umax Packaging Ltd.
10.1.10 Polyplex Corporation Limited
10.1.11 Tri-wall Pak Private Limited
10.1.12 HNGIL: Hindusthan National Glass & Industries Limited
10.1.14 Piramal Glass
10.1.15 La Opala RG
10.1.16 Borosil Glass Works
10.1.17 Haldyn Glass Limited (HGL)
10.1.18 EMPIRE INDUSTRIES LTD- VITRUM GLASS
10.1.19 Asian Cans Pvt. Ltd.
10.1.20 Oriental Containers Limited
10.1.21 Zenith Tins Private Limited
10.1.22 Unique Closures
10.1.23 Western Cans Private Limited
10.1.24 Nipra Industries Pvt. Ltd.
10.1.25 Petrox Packaging (I) Pvt. Ltd.
10.1.26 Crown Closures Pvt. Ltd.
10.1.27 Deccan Cans & Printers Pvt. Ltd.
10.1.28 Hindustan Tin Works Ltd.
10.1.29 Hi-Can Industries Pvt. Ltd.
10.1.30 Kaira Can Company Limited
11. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
12. FUTURE OUTLOOK
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Packaging Industry in India market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Packaging Industry in India?
The Packaging Industry in India is growing at a CAGR of 26.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Packaging Industry in India?
- WestRock India Pvt. Ltd
- Kapco Packaging
- OJI India Packaging Pvt. Ltd
- Parksons Packaging Ltd
- PR Packagings Ltd
Are the major companies operating in Packaging Industry in India.