North America Smart Manufacturing Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
North America Smart Manufacturing Market Analysis
The North America Smart Manufacturing Market was valued at USD 58.35 billion in the previous year and is expected to register a CAGR of 5.69 percent, reaching USD 80.4 billion by the next five years.
- The growing need for automation to attain efficiency and quality, the demand for adherence and government backing for digitization, and the proliferation of the IoT are some of the main driving factors influencing the market growth.
- North American manufacturers across every industry are creating the development foundation by rapidly improving their level of automation. While competing with global manufacturing hubs like Japan and China, North America has strived to create and adopt robotic and automation technologies. Therefore, to save energy and to gain cost-benefit, the trend of factory automation and industrial control systems is attaining traction in the region.
- The application of big data analytics in smart manufacturing aims to refine complicated processes, manage supply chains, and support new business models, like mass customization and product-as-a-service, which can be made possible by smart manufacturing apart from the traditional operational models like on-demand. Besides, big data analytics allows an enterprise to use smart manufacturing to shift from reactionary practices to predictive ones. This change targets improving the efficiency of the process and product performance, which in turn witnessed significant adoption in the region.
- However, The high costs of automated systems are concerned with effective and robust hardware and efficient software. Automation equipment requires high capital investment to invest in the smart factory (an automated system can cost millions of dollars to install, design, and fabricate). Also, the need for maintenance of automated machines is more than a manual system (even flexible automation is less flexible than humans, the most versatile machines of all). In addition to this, a series of significant cyber-attacks on manufacturing companies has highlighted the extreme and growing risks in the sector. The dependence on process control and systems, combined with the convergence of IT and operating technologies systems, has increasingly exposed manufacturing firms to cyber attacks.
- The regional automotive sector has always led the way in implementing robotics in its manufacturing processes. Other industry manufacturers, like John Deere, are also making significant investments to integrate automated technology into their products and processes. The regional manufacturing industry still needs to utilize these benefits fully. Hence, the region's automation adoption and product innovation scope is high.
North America Smart Manufacturing Market Trends
Robotics is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Robots have transformed manufacturing, making moving heavy objects and performing delicate tasks easier through automation. There is a significant increase in the market, and sales for industrial and service robots are expected more over the forecasted period. Thus, it will lead to driving the need for smart manufacturing.
- According to the IFR, the number one adopter of robotics solutions in the region is the automotive industry, and companies based in the US, Canada, and Mexico installed 20,391 industrial robots in 2022, which was up by 30 percent compared to 2021. Notably, North America has evolved as the second largest operational stock for industrial robots in the world after China.
- Furthermore, as per the International Federation of Robotics (IFR), the North American robotics market observed strong growth, with total installations in manufacturing growing by 12 percent and reaching 41,624 units in 2022. In addition, according to the International Federation of Robotics (IFR), the United States is the world's second-largest production volume of cars and light vehicles, following China.
- Moreover, major manufacturers have been teaming up to provide significant solutions along with enhancing their consumer base. For instance, in March 2022, Plus One Robotics, a leading manufacturer of 3D and artificial intelligence (AI)-powered vision software, announced a partnership with Tompkins Robotics, a global leader focused on robotic automation of distribution and fulfillment operations. The two companies teamed up to offer an automated picking solution combining Plus One Robotics 3D and artificial intelligence (AI) software with the Tompkins Robotics tSort™ system.
United States is Expected to Grow Significantly
- The United States is on the boundary of the fourth industrial revolution, where data is used on a big scale for production while integrating the data with different manufacturing systems throughout the supply chain. The country is also one of the significant automotive markets in the world and has been home to about 13 major auto manufacturers. Moreover, automotive manufacturing is one of the largest revenue generators for the US in the manufacturing sector.
- In addition to this, the country is home to various enterprises adopting automation to optimize operations. For instance, Schneider Electric announced the launch of the first Smart Factory in the United States to demonstrate in real-time how EcoStruxure architecture and related suite of offerings can help enhance operational efficiency and reduce customer costs.
- The US oil and gas industry has been a basic demand driver for programmable logic controller (PLC) systems for automation tasks. Automation has enabled the country's high oil and gas production and has also been responsible for the smooth distribution of oil products.
- According to BEA (The Bureau of Economic Analysis), in 2022, the automobile industry in the United States sold around 13.75 million light vehicle units, which includes retail sales of about 2.9 million passenger cars and about 10.9 million light trucks, which is expected to grow more in future, and thus being a driving factor for the market in the country.
- Also, the formation of the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership has been an initiative undertaken for making the industry and the federal government invest in upcoming technologies, which has substantially aided the country in gaining a competitive edge in the global economy. The National Network for Manufacturing Innovation incorporates developing regional hubs, which will develop advanced manufacturing technologies for implementing innovative products in the sector.
North America Smart Manufacturing Industry Overview
The North American smart manufacturing market is moderately competitive and has several major players. The major players with prominent shares in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. The companies leverage strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and profitability.
In June 2023, Emerson announced that it enhanced its DeltaV Distributed Control System with the addition of their NextGen Smart Firewall for better network security as manufacturing and plant connectivity continue to grow. The company has recently released its new NextGen Smart Firewall for enhancing the DeltaV system and enhance its security. The firewall is built with a purpose for the industrial manufacturing industry and fits into most manufacturing processes. The objective of the firewall is to aid manufacturers in surging cyber security and secure plant networks without adding complexity to operations teams, who are often already overburdened.
In November 2022, Rockwell Automation, Inc. announced that it delivered an intelligent edge management and orchestration platform with an edge application ecosystem - based on zero trust security and open industry standards - accelerating digital transformation for industrial customers.
North America Smart Manufacturing Market Leaders
Emerson Electric Company
General Electric Company
Honeywell International Inc.
Rockwell Automation Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
North America Smart Manufacturing Market News
- September 2022: ABB announced its new factory optimization method for battery manufacturing at the Battery Show in North America. With prominent automakers committing more than USD 500 billion towards electric vehicle production and numerous plans to offer e-vehicles by 2035 exclusively, there was a considerable growth in demand for lithium-ion batteries. However, battery manufacturers needed help to keep speed while ensuring their production stayed profitable, efficient, and safe without sacrificing quality.
- October 2022: Emerson announced the evolution of Plantweb, a digital ecosystem incorporating the AspenTech portfolio of asset optimization software powered by industrial artificial intelligence, creating the industry's most comprehensive digital transformation portfolio. Moreover, its Plantweb digital ecosystem, optimized by AspenTech, enables industrial manufacturers across all sectors to "See, Decide, Act, and Optimize" their operations.
North America Smart Manufacturing Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of COVID-19 impact on the industry
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Increasing Demand for Automation to Achieve Efficiency and Quality
4.5.2 Need for Compliance and Government Support for Digitization
4.5.3 Proliferation of Internet of Things
4.6 Market Restraints
4.6.1 Concerns Regarding Data Security
4.6.2 High Initial Installation Costs and Lack of Skilled Workforce Preventing Enterprises from Full-scale Adoption
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Technology
5.1.1 Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)
5.1.2 Supervisory Controller and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
5.1.3 Enterprise Resource and Planning (ERP)
5.1.4 Distributed Control System (DCS)
5.1.5 Human Machine Interface (HMI)
5.1.6 Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
5.1.7 Manufacturing Execution System (MES)
5.1.8 Other Technologies
5.2 By Component
5.2.1 Communication Segment
5.2.2 Control Device
5.2.3 Machine Vision Systems
5.2.6 Other Components
5.3 By End-User Industry
5.3.2 Oil and Gas
5.3.3 Chemical and Petrochemical
5.3.5 Food and Beverage
5.3.6 Metals and Mining
5.3.7 Other End-User Industries
5.4 By Country
5.4.1 United States
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 ABB Ltd.
6.1.2 Emerson Electric Company
6.1.3 Fanuc Corporation
6.1.4 General Electric Company
6.1.5 Honeywell International Inc.
6.1.6 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
6.1.7 Robert Bosch GmbH
6.1.8 Rockwell Automation Inc.
6.1.9 Schneider Electric SE
6.1.10 Siemens AG
6.1.11 Texas Instruments Incorporated
6.1.12 Yokogawa Electric Corporation
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
North America Smart Manufacturing Market Research FAQs
What is the current North America Smart Manufacturing Market size?
The North America Smart Manufacturing Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.69% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in North America Smart Manufacturing Market?
ABB Ltd, Emerson Electric Company, General Electric Company, Honeywell International Inc. and Rockwell Automation Inc. are the major companies operating in the North America Smart Manufacturing Market.
What years does this North America Smart Manufacturing Market cover?
The report covers the North America Smart Manufacturing Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the North America Smart Manufacturing Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
North America Smart Manufacturing Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 North America Smart Manufacturing market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. North America Smart Manufacturing analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2024 to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.