Smartwatch Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Volume (2024)
|171.38 Million units
|Market Volume (2029)
|583.81 Million units
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Smartwatch Market Analysis
The Smartwatch Market size in terms of shipment volume is expected to grow from 171.38 Million units in 2024 to 583.81 Million units by 2029, at a CAGR of 27.78% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
Due to the rising penetration rates of urbanization, the demand for aesthetically appealing advanced products to serve better the consumers' requirements, such as time schedules and multiple features in one device, has been driving the global need for smartwatches. Moreover, the huge millennial population has been adopting smartwatches due to increased spending on tracking and luxury standards for their regular work hours.
- Currently, smartwatches are designed to be paired with smartphones (via Bluetooth), which function as information gateways so that these watches can share phone notifications, such as text messages, email notices, or application alerts. However, smartwatches are not interchangeable since they can usually only be paired with a limited number of compatible smartphones. For instance, Samsung's Gear A smartwatch only works with Samsung Galaxy series smartphones, and the Apple Watch only works with iPhones. As a result, current smartwatches available from mobile device manufacturing companies are more like smartphone accessories than standalone devices since they require access to a compatible smartphone to relay additional useful information to their owners.
- Changing lifestyles and readiness for technology adoption in lifestyle solutions have increased the demand for wearable technology. This demand has been supported by new product launches and entrants venturing into the market. As more companies venture into the smartwatch market, the need for differentiating the product offerings becomes essential. For instance, Fitbit launched Fitbit Versa and Fitbit Charge 32017-2018. Fitbit Versa is a smartwatch that requires a bigger screen and battery power. The dependency on higher-resolution screens and battery technology has increased over the years to please consumers, resulting in investment in these segments to meet customers' expectations.
- Increasing health consciousness among consumers is a crucial factor driving the growth of the smartwatch market. A smartwatch enables them to take necessary precautions according to their health. Further, Doctors can easily monitor the health status of patients remotely and can maintain, prescribe or treat them as required. For instance, all the new Apple Watch since Series 5 can track heart rate, nervous system activities, emergency or inactivity warnings, and health events.
- Although the adoption of wearables has been gaining traction for the past few years, the concern over data privacy persists. Moreover, for smartwatches, the target consumers are individuals people, where awareness of data security is relatively low compared to enterprises. Even though data from smartwatches are not information-rich, risks are likely to increase further if the device comes with support for internet connectivity, as they can be operated away from the paired device. Payment services in such cases can be misused.
- The introduction of health measures to self-track the COVID-19 symptoms and increasing consumer interest in personal health and wellness during global pandemic lockdowns presented a significant opportunity for the smartwatch market. Due to the pandemic, consumers were avoiding stepping out and visiting crowded spaces, such as gyms and fitness centers. This accelerated the requirement for fitness products such as smartwatches.
Smartwatch Market Trends
Sports Segment to Account for Significant Market Share
- Smartwatches are increasingly becoming a key wearable fitness technology. Users are connecting them to different apps to track various types of data. Most of the time, a smartwatch can also be used as a tracking device, lowering the barrier of access and offering a great user experience. This is why smartwatches are expected to become a critical part of the industry soon.
- In June 2022, Boat launched the Xtend Sport smartwatch, an upgraded version of the Boat Xtend. The company has been on a launch spree lately. After dominating the budget audio market, the company now aims to dominate the budget smartly. Such innovations and expansions will leverage the studied market in the sports industry.
- The impact of technologies on recent advancements in the fitness industry laid the foundation for stakeholders in smartwatch devices. Monitoring is a critical focus area of the market. It is witnessing an increasing integration of intelligence into smartwatch devices, offering real-time insights based on the individual's data. New features in smartwatches with time schedules offer to track physical activities, due to which the growth in the smartwatch devices is expected to witness a comparatively high growth rate. The growing investments by numerous smartwatch vendors to eliminate any preventable injuries of highly paid professional athletes are anticipated to fuel the number of smartwatches developed for professional usage.
- For instance, Qualcomm offers its made-for-wearables processor, Snapdragon Wear 3100. The processor is very prominent across many smartwatches in the market. The processor was designed to maximize battery life and utility in various scenarios. Watchmakers such as Fossil Group, Louis Vuitton, and Montblanc use the Snapdragon Wear 3100 in their smartwatches.
- Furthermore, launching new products with enhanced features by prominent vendors worldwide is expected to drive market growth. In June 2021, Garmin International Inc. announced its latest creation, the Forerunner 945 LTE, a premium GPS running and triathlon smartwatch with LTE connectivity. The watch was designed to help athletes stay connected on the go. The watch also brings phone-free safety and tracking features, spectator messaging, and live event sharing to the wrist while providing detailed training data, performance monitoring tools, and smartwatch features that the athletes today have come to rely.
Asia-Pacific Expected to Have Significant Growth
- Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth in the smartwatch market, owing to the growing consumer electronics industry and the rapid rise of smartwatch market vendors across the region's emerging economies. The increasing tech-savvy population, a rising pool of chronic diseases, such as obesity and diabetes, and the growing popularity of health and fitness to maintain a healthy lifestyle drive the market growth.
- Smartwatches and smart wristbands are becoming popular, with nearly 70% of Chinese smartwatch owners owning a wristband. Local smartwatch brands responded promptly to this trend and snapped up most of the market share. There is an opportunity for western brands to copy from China and establish leading positions in their home markets.
- Moreover, in April 2021, Casio Computer Co. Ltd. announced the release of the GSW-H1000, a G-SQUAD PRO smartwatch powered by Wear OS by Google and packed with functions designed to assist users in achieving their activity goals and utilizing fitness tracking features. The GSW-H1000 is oriented toward usage in a wide range of athletic settings, including activities, like running, indoor workouts, road biking, swimming, surfing, and snowboarding.
- Vendors operating in the Indian market are also launching new products with attractive prices and multiple functions to lure consumers toward their offerings. For instance, Aug 2021, In base launched its latest smartwatch Urban Sports. The new smartwatch comes with 45 days of standby battery life. The smartwatch primarily expands the affordable range of smartwatches available in the country.
- Some of the ongoing partnerships and collaborations among the prominent players across the region are further expected to expand the scope of the market studied during the forecast period. For instance, Huami Corporation partnered with PAI Health, which is a health technology software company, to combine Huami's massive biometric database collected by the high-quality smartwatch devices and powerful algorithms, along with PAI Health's software to offer a scientifically validated approach to help address some of the health risks that are associated with an inactive lifestyle.
Smartwatch Industry Overview
The smartwatch market is fragmented; therefore, companies are banking on product innovation and development to gain an edge over a large number of local players. This makes the rivalry intense in the market. Apple Inc., Fitbit Inc., and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd are key players.
- June 2022 - In India, Garmin unveiled its new and one of the world's first GPS-running smartwatch 955 with solar charging and forerunner 255 series. The latest additions to Garmin's Forerunner range, the preferred choice of runners worldwide, are triathlon-ready smartwatches with training features developed for professional and mid-level runners and athletes.
- May 2022 - Huawei Consumer Business Group announced various cutting-edge hardware products at the Huawei flagship product launch in 2022, including the HUAWEI Mate Xs 2, HUAWEI WATCH GT 3 Pro, HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2, HUAWEI Band 7, HUAWEI WATCH D, and HUAWEI S-TAG is aiming to simplify the daily lives of consumers. Further, the company featured its world-renowned Health App, which has aided consumers worldwide to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Smartwatch Market Leaders
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
Fossil Group Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Smartwatch Market News
- June 2022 - Apple previewed watch OS 9, which brings the latest features and improved experiences to the wearable operating system. Apple Watch users can now have more watch faces to choose from, with richer complications that offer more information and opportunity for personalization. In the updated Workout app, advanced metrics, views, and training experiences inspired by high-performing athletes help users take their workouts to the next level.
- January 2022 - Fossil and Razers partnered to launch a limited-edition smartwatch: the Razer X Fossil Gen 6 Smartwatch. The co-branded wearable leverages Fossil's innovative smartwatch platform. It also features three exclusive Razer watch faces, including Analog, Text, and Chroma, and two stylish interchangeable straps. The Razer X Fossil Gen 6 was launched globally for USD 329 in a limited quantity of 1,337 units for purchase.
Smartwatch Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Technological Advancements in the Wearables Market
5.1.2 Increasing Health Awareness among the Consumers
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Growing Complexity of Wearable Devices, Limited Use of Features, and Security Risks
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Operating System
6.1.1 Watch OS
6.1.2 Wear OS
6.1.3 Other Operating Systems
6.2 By Display Type
6.2.3 TFT LCD
6.3 By Application
6.3.1 Personal Assistance
6.3.4 Other Applications
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
6.4.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Apple Inc.
7.1.2 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
7.1.3 Garmin Ltd
7.1.4 Fitbit Inc.
7.1.5 Fossil Group Inc.
7.1.6 Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
7.1.7 Sony Corporation
7.1.8 Lenovo Group Limited
7.1.9 Zepp Health Corporation
7.1.10 LG Electronics Inc.
7.1.11 Polar Electro Oy
7.1.12 Casio Computer Co. Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. VENDOR MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Smartwatch Market Research FAQs
How big is the Smartwatch Market?
The Smartwatch Market size is expected to reach 171.38 million units in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 27.78% to reach 583.81 million units by 2029.
What is the current Smartwatch Market size?
In 2024, the Smartwatch Market size is expected to reach 171.38 million units.
Who are the key players in Smartwatch Market?
Apple Inc., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, Garmin Ltd, Fitbit Inc. and Fossil Group Inc. are the major companies operating in the Smartwatch Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Smartwatch Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Smartwatch Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Smartwatch Market.
What years does this Smartwatch Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Smartwatch Market size was estimated at 123.77 million units. The report covers the Smartwatch Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Smartwatch Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Who are the target segment for Smartwatches?
Smartwatches are targeted at people who are interested in health and fitness tracking, as well as those who want to stay connected with their smartphones.
Smartwatch Industry Report
The global smartwatch market is poised for significant expansion, driven by a growing preference for fitness tracking and health monitoring features. Manufacturers are capitalizing on this trend by introducing smartwatches equipped with advanced health monitoring features such as blood oxygen and SpO2 sensors, stress monitors, electrocardiograms, and calorie counters. Technological advancements in operating systems and interfaces have further enabled companies to offer smartwatches with sophisticated features. The integration of the Internet of Things (IoT) in smartwatches facilitates real-time monitoring of individual behavior and connectivity with other IoT devices for physical activity tracking. Despite concerns over data privacy and potential data breaches, the market remains competitive with key players focusing on enhancing the connected experiences between smartwatches and other devices. The education sector has also witnessed significant growth in the smartwatch market, with applications designed to assist students in organization and deadline management. Ongoing innovations in the market are not only technical but also fashion-focused, recognizing the importance of blending technology seamlessly with personal style. According to Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports, the Smartwatch market share, size, and revenue growth rate statistics are available, along with a market forecast outlook and a historical overview. A sample of this industry analysis is available as a PDF download.