|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The smartwatch market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 14.5% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026).
With the recent outbreak of COVID-19, the global demand for electronics slumped significantly during the first quarter of 2020. However, the sales of wearable devices such as smartwatches witnessed a major influx from online sales, cutting out various other costs involved in sales, owing to which the buyers were capable of buying products for lower prices on online platforms and compare features and prices.
- Owing to the rising penetration rates of urbanization, the demand for aesthetically appealing advanced products with the ability to better serve the consumers’ requirements, such as time schedules, multiple features in one device, has been driving the demand for smartwatches globally. Moreover, the huge millennial population has been adopting smartwatches due to the increased spending for their regular work hours tracking and luxury standards.
- Smartwatches are seeing a surge in new users, including the older age population, owing to the fact that wearable makers, such as Apple and Fitbit, among others, are adding health-monitoring features that appeal to older people and keep them updated about their health status in real-time. For instance, Apple features a fall detection app and an EKG monitor to the Apple Watch Series 4, while Fitbit added a feature to detect sleep apnea.
- According to Samsung Enterprise Mobility, smartwatches and other wearables may soon move from consumer devices to valuable enterprise tools, and South African CIOs are preparing to manage and secure the wave of new enterprise technologies and is anticipated to provide massive opportunities for vendors in the forecast period, thus impacting the market’s growth positively.
- For the existing customers, the smartwatch companies are increasingly making efforts for product innovations toward monitoring coronavirus infection rates via smartwatches. For instance, in March 2020, the ECG smartwatch manufacturer, Vagus, introduced a crowd-sourced data-collection campaign to be carried out via its ECG watches. This is aimed at capturing ECG data readings pre, during, and post Covid-19 infection.
Scope of the Report
A smartwatch is a wearable electronic device that also has computed capabilities for specific functions and closely resembles a wristwatch. Overall the scope considerations are operating system, display type, application, and geography. The study also offers an assessment of the impact of COVID-19 on the smartwatch market.
|Other Operating Systems|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Medical and Fitness to Account for a Significant Market Share
- Monitoring health has been the most advantageous aspect of wearables technology. Not only does it help fitness-enthusiasts by providing them with necessary health parameters but also aids patients by providing insights on their conditions. People are more worried about their health, and this has led to an increase in the shipment of fitness trackers. Since every smartwatch has a component of a fitness tracker, the popularity growth of the smartwatch is increasing significantly, as it has multi-functional features for recording health parameters.
- Saving on both time and resources, smartwatches are helping doctors by rendering some complex and significant information. Medical professionals are being backed by this data in solving puzzles, like what would be the impact of a new drug, or the constant monitoring of recovery status of an operated patient, and much more.
- The accelerometers built into smartwatches can potentially be deployed to detect seizures and tremors, particularly with conditions, like epilepsy. When epilepsy seizures happen, quick and effective treatment is an essential part of making sure the risks of long-term damage to the body are minimized. Smartwatches can be used to alert friends, family, and healthcare workers about seizures that could make a huge difference in patient recovery.
- Fitbit is working towards clinical validation and regulatory approval of its software for use in detecting health conditions, such as sleep apnea and atrial fibrillation, which will help in promoting health fitness and growth of the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to have Significant Growth
- The Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth in the smartwatch market due to the growing consumer electronics industry, coupled with a rapid rise of smartwatch market vendors across the emerging economies of the region.
- The increasing tech-savvy population, a rising pool of chronic diseases, such as obesity and diabetes, along with the growing popularization of health and fitness to maintain a healthy lifestyle, is driving the market growth in the studied region.
- Also, in China, children have contributed to the growth of the country's smartwatch industry. BKK Electronics, a Chinese multinational firm, did very well with the largest growth rates in smartwatch shipments, surging 64% year on year. BBK Electronics is usually known as the company behind rising domestic smartphone brands, like Vivo and Oppo.
- Further, advancements in research across the region are leading to increased innovation in recent years, which is instrumental, thereby driving the demand for the smartwatch market to augment public safety measures by the department of police and other public safety organizations. Also, the growth in disposable income and the rapid adoption and popularity of enhanced gadgets are some of the primary drivers for the market in this geographical region.
- Moreover, the increase in the presence of key vendors, such as Samsung, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, and Huami offering smartwatches with the integration of the latest technology features along with new partnerships has added to the growth of the market during the forecast period.
- Recently, Huami Corporation partnered with PAI Health, a health technology software company, in order to combine Huami's massive biometric database collected by high-quality smartwatch devices as well as powerful algorithms, along with PAI Health's software to offer a scientifically validated approach to help address some of the health risks typically associated with an inactive lifestyle.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The smartwatch market is a fragmented market, and therefore companies are banking on product innovation and product development to gain an edge and the number of local players. This makes the rivalry intense in the market. Key players are Apple Inc., Fitbit Inc., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, among others. Recent developments in the market are:
- April 2020 - The German federal government agency and research institute, Robert Koch Institute (RKI), launched a smartwatch app in partnership with the health-tech startup, Thryve, to help monitor the spread of COVID-19 and analyze whether measures to contain the novel COVID-19 pandemic are working. The application allows the smartwatch user to voluntarily as well as anonymously share information from their smartwatches that may reveal signs of a COVID-19 infection.
- June 2021 - Samsung recently hosted a virtual event at MWC 2021, where the South Korean tech giant unveiled the next smartwatch OS, which will be called One UI Watch and is based on Google’s Wear OS.
- August 2020 - Samsung announced that they launched Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 and Samsung Galaxy Buds Live TWS earbuds in India. Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 comes in multiple configurations with Wi-Fi and 4G models, as well as two sizes. The 41mm variant with Wi-Fi is priced at INR 29,990 while the 4G model is priced at INR 34,490. On the other hand, the 45mm variant is priced at INR 32,990 for the Wi-Fi model and INR 38,990 for the 4G model.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Increasing Technological Advancements in the Wearables Market
4.3.2 Increase in Health Awareness among the Consumers
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Growing Complexity of Wearable Devices and Limited Use of Features, augmented With Security Risks
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Operating Systems
5.1.1 Watch OS
5.1.2 Android/Wear OS
5.1.3 Other Operating Systems
5.2 Display Type
5.2.3 TFT LCD
5.3.1 Personal Assistance
5.3.4 Other Applications
5.4.1 North America
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Apple Inc.
6.1.2 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
6.1.3 Garmin Ltd
6.1.4 Fitbit Inc.
6.1.5 Fossil Group Inc.
6.1.6 Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
6.1.7 Sony Corporation
6.1.8 Lenovo Group Limited
6.1.9 Huami Corporation
6.1.10 LG Electronics Inc.
6.1.11 Polar Electro OY
7. VENDOR MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Smartwatch Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Smartwatch Market?
The Smartwatch Market is growing at a CAGR of 14.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Smartwatch Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Smartwatch Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Smartwatch Market?
Apple Inc., Samsung, Garmin, Fitbit Inc. , Fossil Group are the major companies operating in Smartwatch Market.