Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The North American aerosol cans market is expected to register a CAGR of 3.5% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The impact of the outbreak of COVID-19 halted the aerosol cans manufacturing due to the sudden lockdown of the countries and shutdown of manufacturing facilities and their operations. It will cause the demand and supply system to be suboptimal and reduce the profit margins. But, in the long run, with businesses restarting normally and e-commerce trends on the rise, the market is expected to rebound. Further, the possibility of airborne transmission in specific circumstances is expected to leverage the demand for aerosol can packaging. This is because the advantage of convenience and accurate dosing without spillage and airtight packaging provided by the aerosol cans eliminates the likelihood of contamination.
- The packaging has increased the value of these cans from aesthetic purposes to value creation to the application of the product for storage, transportation, and ease of use. These cans are mostly made of aluminum or steel. They are effective packaging solutions that fit all the features related to execution during storage, transportation, and convenience to the consumer.
- Continuously improving consumer lifestyles is backing the demand from the personal care and cosmetic industry. For instance, according to Happi Magazine, the unit sales of leading deodorant vendors such as Unilever, Procter, and Gamble, Colgate Palmolive in the United States in 2020 accounted for USD 327.04 million, USD 219.79 million, and USD 38.49 million, respectively.
- Additionally, aerosol cans enable 360 degrees application and consume 25% less substance for relative area coverage. Furthermore, the fast adaptation of spray paints in the automotive industry for personalization and maintenance purposes has created numerous opportunities for the growth of the aerosol cans market in the United States. In addition, spray paints are used as art supplies and as a part of residential painting. The pandemic has forced people to stay at home, which indirectly has encouraged people to take up various renovation activities on their own, including spray paints and conventional painting, which has imparted to the increase in demand for metal aerosol cans.
- Also, the current recycling trends showcase the use of recycled empty aerosols cans in the standard household waste packaging that enables an effective stream without causing a hazard—the FEA advocates due to empty aerosols in the recycling schemes. As a result, a large number of post-consumer aerosols have currently been recycled globally. In addition, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in December 2019 added aerosol cans waste to the universal waster program under the federal Resource Conversations and Recovery Act (RCRA) regulation. This relaxation active from February 2020 results in more specific standards and is said to leverage around 25,000 industrial facilities worldwide.
- Further, aerosol cans are easy to use but difficult to dispose of because they contain products or propellants that would be considered hazardous waste when disposed. Cans that are not emptied entirely and still have some propellant left may be regarded as hazardous waste by the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). However, stringent EPA regulations relating to CFC, HCFC, and HFC components in aerosols ham market growth.
Scope of the report
Aerosol cans are used as a packaging product to dispense the content with the help of a valve. Most of the cans are made using aluminum, steel, and glass, while the others are made of plastic. The study offers different end-user verticals, including Cosmetic and Personal Care, Household, Pharmaceutical, Paints and Varnishes, Automotive, across the studied region. Further, the study also tracks the impact of COVID-19 on the aerosol cans market.
|By End-User Industry|
|Cosmetic and Personal Care (Deodorants/Antiperspirants, Hairsprays, Hair Mousse, and Others)|
|Paints and Varnishes|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Cosmetic and Personal Care is Expected to Account For Significant Market Share
- Metal cans provide a high-temperature resistance, allowing cosmetic products and personal care products to retain the product quality without compromising on the characteristic loss. The usage of metal aerosol cans in the industry is also dedicated to controlling moisture due to linings. The aerosol cans are used for deodorants, shaving foams, and various other cosmetic and personal care products. The airtight aerosol cans are used to retain the product quality, thus providing a longer shelf life.
- Companies manufacturing deodorants are a significant user of metal aerosol cans owing to their ability to retain freshness, extend shelf life, and be lightweight. Like Axe (a Unilever brand), many-body spray manufacturers leverage metal cans for better marketing strategies.
- Trivium Packaging has two offices and one research and development center in the United States. It also has six manufacturing facilities in the United States and one manufacturing facility in Canada. The company manufactures mono-block aluminum aerosol cans and steel aerosol cans available in a wide range of heights and diameters. These products are primarily used in the beauty and personal care sector.
- Moreover, various key manufacturers of the studied market offer a wide range of products for the cosmetic and personal care industry. For instance, Ball Corporation provides aerosol cans in two options, namely one, two, and three-piece cans, and caters to personal care and household packaging, alongside other industries.
- Further, Hairsprays are most commonly packaged in metal aerosol cans and are used mainly in the United States. According to the US Census Data and Simmons National Consumer Survey (NHCS), 71.46 million Americans used aerosol hair spray in 2020.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United States Accounts for the Largest Share
- The U.S. aerosol industry is highly regulated, and the cans used for pharmaceutical purposes need to be cGMP compliant with the US DMF. For instance, the aerosol aluminum cans manufactured by Ball Corporation for the pharmaceutical industry are compliant with the same.
- Additionally, the market is gaining traction with pharmaceuticals with the increased use of aerosol cans in various medicinal benefits, including pain-relieving sprays. For instance, CCL Container offers pharmaceutical aluminum containers compliant with the Food and Drug Association regulated in the United States and are formulation-compatible alongside providing a long shelf life.
- Moreover, the region is also witnessing significant consumption of aerosol cans, which is also driving the market for metal cans. In November 2020, Clean Earth announced its Clean Earth Aerosol Recycling System expects to process 13 million aerosol cans by the end of 2020.
- In May 2020, Doctors Kline and Green launched an aerosol foam hand sanitizer in easy to dispense pressurized packaging in the United States. Trivium Packaging supplies the aerosol cans.
- Further, major U.S. companies involved in the metal cans industry cater to various end-users and continue adding production capacity and innovating to expand their product portfolio. For instance, Crown Holdings Inc. offers Necked-In Aerosol cans, which pack multiple products, including laundry and automotive products. It also provides various diameter sizes and various volumetric capacities.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The North American aerosol cans market is highly consolidated with a few significant players in the market as the market is price sensitive, hence sustaining in the market is demanding. Further, vendors in the market are driven by sustainability and product enhancements to capture the market share and profitability. Some of the recent developments in the market are:
- February 2021 - Procter & Gamble has launched their Microban 24 Sanitizing Spray packaged in aerosol cans received approval from Health Canada to use against the SARA-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19.
- January 2020 - Ball Corporation has announced its plans to build a new aluminum end manufacturing facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky, to expand the portfolio of aerosol cans.
- August 2020 - Ball Corporation has completed the acquisition of Tubex Aluminium Aerosol packaging that operates in Brazil. The acquisition is expected to expand the company’s aerosol packaging in North America and help the group improve financial performance by introducing innovative products to the market.
- July 2020 - The Wisconsin Pharmacal Company has launched the Coleman Tick Protection Insect Repellent spray, packaged in an aerosol spray can.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Growing Demand from the Cosmetic Industry
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 Increasing Competition from Substitute Packaging
4.6 Market Opportunities
5. IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE AEROSOL CAN INDUSTRY
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material
6.1.3 Other Materials
6.2 By End-User Industry
6.2.1 Cosmetic and Personal Care (Deodorants/Antiperspirants, Hairsprays, Hair Mousse, and Others)
6.2.4 Paints and Varnishes
6.2.6 Other End-user Industries
6.3 By Country
6.3.1 United States
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Crown Holdings inc.
7.1.2 Ball Corporation
7.1.3 CCL Industries
7.1.4 Mauser Packaging Solutions
7.1.5 Ardagh Group
7.1.6 Can-Pack SA
7.1.7 Exal Corporation
7.1.8 Trivium Packaging
7.1.9 Envases Group
7.1.10 DS Containers Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The North America Aerosol Cans Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of North America Aerosol Cans Market?
The North America Aerosol Cans Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in North America Aerosol Cans Market?
Crown Holdings Inc., Ball Corporation, CCL Industries, Mauser Packaging Solutions, Ardagh Group are the major companies operating in North America Aerosol Cans Market.