Milk Packaging Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Milk Packaging Market Analysis
The Milk Packaging Market, valued at USD 43.76 billion in the previous year, is expected to register a CAGR of 4.6% during the forecast period to become USD 57.32 billion by the next five years. The growing inclination toward eco-friendly packaging and increasing flavored milk consumption is expected to drive market growth.
- Milk is the most consumed dairy product in the world. The high content of moisture and minerals in milk makes it very challenging for vendors to store it for a long period. It is one of the major reasons for milk being traded as milk powder or processed milk. More than 70% of fresh milk packaging is contributed by HDPE bottles, leading to lesser demand for glass bottle packaging. The trend of on-the-go consumption, the convenience of the easy pour, appealing packaging quality, and health awareness reflected by the popularity of drinkable dairy-like, soy-based, and sour milk created a significant demand for milk packaging.
- According to FAO, global milk production is projected to grow by 177 million metric tons by 2025. Due to changing lifestyles and rapid urbanization, increasing consumer preference to gain proteins from dairy products rather than cereal sources. It is expected to drive the demand for products, like milk, over the forecast period. Such trends are further expected to influence the milk packaging market.
- Bio-based packages are more sustainable than standard milk cartons, reducing the manufacturer’s reliance on fossil-based polyethylene plastic in the lining. Consumer interest in sustainability is increasing, with research indicating that people of all ages believe businesses should take responsibility for their environmental footprint.
- Moreover, cartons are being adopted as an ideal option for packaging milk for retail distribution. Companies are increasingly adopting aseptic cartons and pouches for milk packaging. Research shows that the organoleptic quality of aseptically processed UHT milk includes significant benefits in lactulose, lactoserum proteins, and vitamin content compared to retort processing.
- However, consumers and manufacturers are worried about the detrimental effects of plastics and other non-biodegradable packaging materials. As a result, companies are converting to biodegradable packaging that is good for the environment. Manufacturers employ green packaging techniques that emphasize using lighter materials and promote recycling. Environmental law is also projected to impede the growth of milk since greenhouse gas emissions from milk packaging represent a significant part of total emissions in some countries, and any changes to associated rules may influence milk production.
- Due to lockdowns in several of the region's important countries that interrupted trade and shut off large areas of the food market from consumers, COVID-19 substantially influenced the milk packaging markets. The temporary shift in consumer preference toward eating at home delayed the modest rise in retail sales. Further, the Russia-Ukraine war includes an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
Milk Packaging Industry Segmentation
Milk packaging is important to protect, carry, market, and sustain its freshness and convenience. Various packaging types are used for milk packaging, such as bottles/containers, cans, cartons, and pouches/bags. The packaging trends vary concerning the country and region. There are several reasons to ensure the durable packaging of milk, like safety, information, ease of storage and handling, and avoiding distribution damages.
The Milk Packaging Market is segmented by packaging type (cans, bottles/containers, cartons, pouches/bags, and other packaging types), material (plastic, paperboard, and other materials), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Middle East, and Africa). The market sizes and forecasts are provided in value (USD) for all the above segments.
|By Packaging Type|
|Other Packaging Types|
|Middle East and Africa|
Milk Packaging Market Trends
Paperboard to Witness Significant Demand
- Increasing awareness about eco-friendly packaging materials created significant traction in milk packaging worldwide. The paperboard segment is projected to be the fastest-growing milk packaging material due to its recyclable properties. Growing awareness associated with the environment is expected to include a positive impact on the paperboard packaging segment, owing to its recyclable features.
- It offers extra protection to the stored product and increases shelf life. Moreover, the information imprinted on the packaging is clear and highly visible, likely to propel market growth.
- In addition, it omits the option of plastic or any other packaging, which can harm the environment. The abovementioned factors are projected to fuel the utilization of paperboard packaging for milk over the forecast period. Paperboard production for packaging is increasing worldwide due to its benefits, like its recyclability and decomposable property.
- Major companies are opting for paperboard packaging in line with the increasing adoption of paperboard packaging. For instance, in August 2022, Liberty Coca-Cola launched Coca-Cola in KeelClip paperboard packaging, replacing traditional plastic rings to hold the beverages together.
- The German paper packaging business is expanding, as seen by the rise in revenue from EUR 13.6 billion (USD 14.5 billion) in 2017 to EUR 16 billion (USD 17 billion) in 2022, according to Statistisches Bundesamt. Paper packaging is frequently considered more ecologically friendly than other packaging materials, such as plastics. The need for eco-friendly packaging options like milk paper packaging is set to increase as sustainability becomes a bigger issue for both consumers and companies.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Highest Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region includes a high potential for lactose-free dairy products as healthy alternatives to lactose products, which will likely complement milk production, propelling the market growth.
- In addition, the population in the region is usually tolerant of lactose-containing products, which creates new avenues for lactose-free products. Also, the growing concerns over child nutrition are projected to complement milk consumption, thus propelling the market.
- The rising availability of packaged dairy products through various retailing channels owing to the rising population with an increasing consumer preference towards protein-based products are some of the factors helping the adoption of dairy-based packaging in the APAC region. It is also expected to contribute to the market growth.
- Increasing disposable incomes and population fuels the demand for staple food in the region. Increased consumption of dairy products is prominent in enhancing child nutrition and boosting the lives of farmers in the region.
- Furthermore, the increased standard of living and aging population further increase these markets' popularity. Higher disposable income in developing countries such as India and China increases the purchasing power of customers. Hence, consumer dependence on processed, pre-cooked, and packed foods will likely increase. Such customer spending and preferences changes are expected to contribute to market growth.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Milk Packaging Industry Overview
The Milk Packaging Market is highly fragmented as the unorganized players directly impact the existence of local and global players in the industry. Local farms use e-commerce and can attract customers by providing convenience and flexibility. Moreover, the growth in milk production is driving the players to develop better packaging solutions, making the milk packaging market highly competitive. Some of the key players in the market are Evergreen Packaging LLC, Stanpac Inc., Elopak AS, Tetra Pak International SA, and Ball Corporation. These players constantly innovate and upgrade their product offerings to cater to the increasing market demand.
- May 2023: Elopak released a new film that examines the role of beverage cartons in ensuring a more sustainable future for the packaging sector. The film was created for Elopak as part of a Food for Thought series sponsored by FoodDrinkEurope and produced by BBC Storyworks Commercial Productions. The program focuses on environmentally friendly developments in the food and beverage sector that provide novel approaches to feeding future generations.
- April 2023: The Walt Disney Company and Tetra Pak are collaborating to bring Disney and MARVEL's enchantment to popular milk drink categories. In Switzerland, the Qualité & Prix brand of Coop's ambient white milk, fresh white milk, flavored milk, and protein drinks in beverage cartons will include eighty Disney and MARVEL-inspired graphics.
- May 2022: Elopak announced the market launch of the Pure-Pak eSense carton, a more ecologically friendly aseptic carton produced without an aluminum layer. The Pure-Pak eSense carton is manufactured with a polyolefin mix barrier rather than aluminum and was created utilizing technology from Fresh Portfolio and conventional environmentally produced paperboard. Due to this, the carbon footprint is up to 50% lower, and the aseptic carton is more fully recyclable than a typical Pure-Pak carton.
Milk Packaging Market Leaders
Tetra Pak International SA
Pactiv Evergreen Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Milk Packaging Market News
- February 2023: Milk & More, a UK-based online grocery and milk doorstep delivery service, collaborated with a reusable packaging start-up again to enable consumers to make more eco-friendly choices. The businesses intend to ensure the reuse of 3 million pieces of packaging that might be used only once otherwise. As part of Milk & More's effort to make sustainable packaging options simpler and more convenient, items will be collected from customers' homes.
- March 2022: PFF Group installed a GBP 2 million (USD 2.6 million) system at its Sedgefield site as part of its GBP 4 million (USD 5.2 million) investment program in new process technology. It will be used to manufacture PFF’s fully recyclable, food-grade packaging concept, IMPAC-T, to meet the increased demand from food manufacturers for reduced plastic in packaging.
Milk Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Rising Health Concerns Among Consumers
4.3.2 Increasing Consumption of Flavored Milk
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Greenhouse Gas Emission Due To Dairy Activities Leading To Legislative Issues
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Packaging Type
5.1.5 Other Packaging Types
5.2 By Material
5.2.3 Other Materials
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Stanpac Inc.
6.1.2 Pactiv Evergreen Inc.
6.1.3 Elopak AS
6.1.4 Tetra Pak International SA
6.1.5 Ball Corporation
6.1.6 Indevco Group
6.1.7 CKS Packaging Inc.
6.1.8 Mondi PLC
6.1.9 Consolidated Container Company LLC ( Loews Corporation)
6.1.10 SIG Combibloc Group Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Milk Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the current Milk Packaging Market size?
The Milk Packaging Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.6% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Milk Packaging Market?
Stanpac Inc., Mondi PLC, Tetra Pak International SA, Ball Corporation and Pactiv Evergreen Inc. are the major companies operating in the Milk Packaging Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Milk Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Milk Packaging Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Milk Packaging Market.
Milk Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Milk Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Milk Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.