MEA Food Cans Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 1.61 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 1.78 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
MEA Food Cans Market Analysis
The MEA Food Cans Market size is estimated at USD 1.61 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 1.78 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 1.99% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
Food cans are widely preferred as they are corrosion-resistant and extend the shelf life of any package. Its advantages include stiffness, stability, and strong barrier qualities.
- Manufacturers of food cans in the region are anticipated to have access to less expensive raw materials, like crude oil, encouraging the production locally. The rising demand for food packaging is driving the metal can packaging in the region. Online orders for fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, poultry, and ready-to-eat meals from restaurants and cafes have increased in the past few years. Manufacturers observed that this tendency had moved the industry's attention to upgrading the current product portfolio and developing more environmentally friendly packaging.
- According to a survey conducted by Studio Polli, the UAE market could interest manufacturers and exporters of canned food. The UAE imports about 90% of its food and finished foods. Therefore, they represent an enchanting country for food companies in the sector, which have the advantage of being able to offer products that the local market recognizes and appreciates. The UAE is the first market for food companies in the entire Arab world. Italy ranks seventh among the country's suppliers and third among European partners.
- The region's double-digit growth is due to solid internet usage, a well-developed infrastructure, and supporting policies. Various trends also contributed, including the increasing popularity of digital payments, the growth of online grocery shopping, and expanding tech initiatives. Such factors drive the market growth for metal cans over the forecast period.
- Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC, one of the biggest metal producers, predicts metal prices to remain high. Driven by regional solid demand growth and increasing production costs, prices continue to rise. Such an increase in metal costs can leverage the market for alternate materials, such as plastic, in the studied market, which could pose a challenge for the food cans market in the region.
- In the region's packaging sector, the post-COVID-19 has brought hygiene and traceability to the forefront. As consumer perspective and demand have changed, single-use and individually-wrapped products were on the rise again in popularity, and regions lifted sanctions, at least for the short term. This accelerated the development and use of bio-plastics and other innovative raw materials.
MEA Food Cans Market Trends
Aluminum Cans Expected to Gain Largest Market in the Region
- The growing population in the region is increasing food consumption, leading to the growth in the packaging of processed food in aluminum cans. The region is witnessing significant change in the food industry, with the market accounting for approximately 5% of the global consumption of packaged foods. The region has become a growing market for the industry, driving it to adopt new packaging and processing technologies.
- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are expected to be the region's significant and fastest-growing food processing markets. There is demand for convenience products due to higher disposable incomes and a need for more time for cooking. This has increased the need for frozen food products and high-quality foods. Such demand for food products drives the market for aluminum food cans in the region.
- Similarly, Middle Eastern countries are popular for hummus, which is a dip, spread, or savory and becomes one of the staples in the region. Many manufacturers, such as Cortas, Durra, and Ziyad, prefer aluminum metal cans for longer shelf life, increasing the demand for aluminum metal can packaging.
- From the manufacturing end, the local vendors in the market also witness growth in demand for food cans. For instance, Nampak Ltd., a South African metal can manufacturer, experienced an increase in its DivFood metal can (mainly aluminum) packaging, contributing to the overall growth in revenue. According to the company, in South Africa, the performance improved as food can demand increased while demand for diversified cans was in line with expectations.
- According to ITA and the US Census Bureau, fresh and frozen fish imports from the middle of 2022 were 29.96 million. Therefore, the region is also witnessing increased consumption of ready meals, frozen food such as seafood, and more products, and their packaging in cans ensures a greener environment and reduces the use of plastics on the shelves.
United Arab Emirates Anticipated to Register Fastest Growth
- The idea of living in the United Arab Emirates is one of the highest in the world. A liberal, business-friendly, and market-oriented growth strategy has reshaped the economy. Foreign citizens make up around 80% of the total population and are mainly responsible for the rapid gains in population. However, almost all immigrants are young or middle-aged adults, and their presence ensures a relatively high median age. The UAE is the central regional trade hub for the Middle East and North Africa due to its favorable geographic location and modern infrastructure.
- The UAE is also a member of the Pan-Arab Free Trade Agreement (PAFTA), which has eliminated nearly all tariffs among its signatories, and a founding member of the GCC. The market is highly competitive, but the studied market has significant potential for U.S. export growth, including dairy products, prepared food, fresh fruit, poultry, tree nuts, and beef products.
- Emirates Global Aluminium, one of the giant industrial companies in the United Arab Emirates and leading can-makers and waste management companies, announced the launch of the Aluminium Recycling Coalition, which aspires to drive a step-change in aluminum recycling in the UAE. The Aluminium Recycling Coalition aims to boost aluminum recycling by UAE consumers.
- According to USDA, the United Arab Emirates food processing sector extends due to substantial public and private sector investments, low regional tariffs, and a suitable geographic location bolstered by superior infrastructure. There are over 568 food processors and manufacturers in the UAE, small to medium size. The food processing sector provides UAE demand and is focused on meeting needs regionally and worldwide. These firms depend entirely on imported ingredients due to the UAE's low production of intermediate, commodity, and lightly processed agricultural products. Significant opportunities exist for U.S. companies to expand their business in this growing sector of the UAE economy.
- Further, according to the government of Canada, the UAE is a net importer of fish and seafood, and the country imports up to 90% of its food consumption. The value of annual per capita expenditure on fish and seafood in the region was USD 206.7 in 2022 and is expected to reach USD 213.5 in 2023. All the above factors drive the market for food cans in the region over the forecast period.
MEA Food Cans Industry Overview
The competitive rivalry in the Middle East and Africa food cans market is high owing to many key players continually trying to gain maximum market share through collaborations, investments, and more. Some of the major players are Crown Holdings, Inc., Can-Pack SA, SAPIN UAE, Gulf Can Industries, Ball Corporation, MetPac, and SA.
In September 2022, Crown Holdings Inc. partnered with Ardagh Metal Packaging, the Can Manufacturers Institute, and more to host the first Global Aluminium Can Sustainability Summit. The Summit brought together more than 100 global attendees from different parts of the aluminum supply chain, such as primary material suppliers, packaging manufacturers, research organizations, and beverage brands. The Summit facilitated essential discussions to drive actionable progress toward the aluminum industry's sustainability goals.
MEA Food Cans Market Leaders
Crown Holdings Inc.
Arabian Can Industry
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
MEA Food Cans Market News
- June 2023 - Ball Corporation showcased its latest aluminum can and bottle portfolio at the BevNET Live Summer 2023. Attendees for BevNET Live will learn about Ball's range of "slim" can capabilities, including new supply locations for the 5.5oz, 6.8oz, 8.4oz, and 250mL can sizes.
- July 2022 - A West African ready meals brand, Oyetty Meals, has been launched by the web-based 'superstore' Samis Online. To fill a gap in the market, the meals are made using selected organically grown ingredients mainly sourced from West Africa to bring the flavors of authentic, healthy, home-cooked African meals to a broader UK market. Such ready-meal food launches drive the market for food cans over the forecast period.
MEA Food Cans Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rising Disposable Income and Urbanization
5.1.2 Growth in E-commerce Industry is Expected to Drive the Market
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Lower Costs of Substitute Products Might Affect the Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material Type
6.1.1 Aluminium Cans
6.1.2 Steel Cans
6.2 By Application
6.2.1 Ready Meals
6.2.2 Powder Products
6.2.3 Fish and Seafood
6.2.4 Fruits and Vegetables
6.2.5 Processed Food
6.2.6 Pet Food
6.2.7 Other Applications
6.3 By Country
6.3.1 Saudi Arabia
6.3.2 United Arab Emirates
6.3.3 South Africa
6.3.4 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles*
7.1.1 Crown Holdings, Inc.
7.1.2 Can-Pack Sa
7.1.3 Sapin UAE
7.1.4 Gulf Cans Industries
7.1.5 Middle East Metal Can LLC (Trinity Holdings)
7.1.6 Emirates Metallic Industries Company Limited (EMIC)
7.1.7 Ball Corporation
7.1.8 MetPac SA
7.1.9 Amopack Can Manufacturers
7.1.10 Arabian Can Industry
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
MEA Food Cans Market Research Faqs
How big is the MEA Food Cans Market?
The MEA Food Cans Market size is expected to reach USD 1.61 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 1.99% to reach USD 1.78 billion by 2029.
What is the current MEA Food Cans Market size?
In 2024, the MEA Food Cans Market size is expected to reach USD 1.61 billion.
Who are the key players in MEA Food Cans Market?
Metpac SA, Crown Holdings Inc., Ball Corporation, Arabian Can Industry and Sapin UAE are the major companies operating in the MEA Food Cans Market.
What years does this MEA Food Cans Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the MEA Food Cans Market size was estimated at USD 1.58 billion. The report covers the MEA Food Cans Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the MEA Food Cans Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
MEA Food Cans Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 MEA Food Cans market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. MEA Food Cans analysis includes a market forecast outlook for 2024 to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.