Microgrid Market Size
|Study Period||2019 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 13.37 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 32.01 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||19.08 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Microgrid Market Analysis
The Microgrid Market size is expected to grow from USD 13.37 billion in 2023 to USD 32.01 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 19.08% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
In 2020, the market was negatively impacted due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In Q1 2020, key countries like the United States and India witnessed the lowest microgrid installations in the last four years. The microgrid market is expected to have a robust growth during the forecast period, primarily due to two main factors, i.e., the global demand for clean energy generation and a self-sufficient source of power generation in times of crisis or grid disconnection. However, the microgrid market is likely to be hindered by high capital cost and technical design problems as the developers have to ensure a symbiotic relationship between the main grid and the microgrid if the microgrid is connected to the grid.
- The off-grid systems are projected to dominate the microgrid market, particularly to address the issue of interconnection approvals from the utilities.
- The innovation-oriented endeavors and the funding feasibility studies in many countries are the biggest opportunities for the microgrid market. Apart from independent power generation, microgrids have evolved with high-speed control platforms and forecasting systems that make them more sophisticated. Several national and international forums are in contention on many variables, like cost and funding issues, to develop the market.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period due to a high rate of electrification, mainly for rural or semi-urban areas.
Microgrid Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Microgrid Market according to our research experts:
Remote Off-grid Communities Systems Expected to Witness Growth
- The demand for off-grid power networks has been stimulated in many parts of the world, particularly from sectors like defense, commercial places, data centers, and campuses.
- According to the US Department of Energy, as of 2021, the off-grid microgrid installed capacity was around 4225 MW (4.2GW). The country has planned more off-grid microgrid projects in cities and other strategic locations to make the energy infrastructure more resilient.
- In September 2021, Alphastruxure started the construction of a 5.6 MW microgrid with distributed energy generation, energy storage, and over 2 MW charging capacity at Brookville Smart Energy Bus Depot in Montgomery County, Maryland. The project is expected to serve the city's public transport by 2023. The initiative to decarbonize the transportation sector with microgrids is a part of a major goal to reduce carbon emissions by 2035.
- In January 2022, Ameresco Inc. announced that it had been awarded a microgrid project in Prince Edward Island, Canada. The "Slemon Park Microgrid Project" will be developed by the joint effort of Ameresco and Prince Edward Island Energy Corporation. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2022. It consists of a 10 MW solar facility with DC-coupled energy storage, and both of them will share the same interconnection.
- Due to such developments, the off-grid microgrid segment is expected to dominate the microgrid market in the future.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Dominate the market
- Around 35% of Asia-based utility companies have predicted that microgrids will lead to new revenue streams in the next two years due to the high power demand from rural communities. For instance, the Rockfeller Foundation installed around 160 microgrids in four states of India, namely, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, and Rajasthan. Through this program, more than 70,000 people living in remote areas now have access to electricity.
- Due to high power demand and governments' push to integrate renewables in the power generation mix in many Asian countries, the nations are prompted to look for more microgrid installations. Even in 2020, the renewable share of power generation in India was about 9.7%, which is far from the required targets. Thus, many energy companies are involved in project development activities for microgrid technology.
- In April 2021, HIP, Pepco, and Emera Technologies were provided with a financial grant to power a division of the residential sector in Fairmount Heights, Maryland, United States. About USD 200,000 was granted for the project, which is expected to get completed by the early 2022s. It is a part of the state's major program, "Resilient Maryland Program", which aims to develop a solar plus storage network for middle-income households.
- In November 2021, the United Kingdom earned another microgrid project for the housing and business development of the Grove Park area in Lewisham East, UK. The project includes a 500 kW renewable energy system and energy storage, coupled with a smart grid management controller. It will be developed by SNRG smart grids and Centrica energy company. The project is expected to be completed by 2025.
- Such developments strongly support the dominance of the Asia-Pacific microgrid market in the coming years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Microgrid Industry Overview
The microgrid market is moderately consolidated. Some of the major players include Hitachi Energy Ltd, General Electric Company, Siemens AG, Eaton Corporation PLC, and Schneider Electric SE.
Microgrid Market Leaders
General Electric Company
Eaton Corporation PLC
Schneider Electric SE
Hitachi Energy Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Microgrid Market News
- In November 2021, the Los Angeles Transportation Department planned a new microgrid project for the electrification of EVs. The microgrid, with a solar plus storage power supply system, is expected to become the charging station for the fleet. The project, to be developed by Proterra Energy, received a grant of USD 6 million from the California Energy Commission. It is expected to produce around 7.5 MW of power output.
- In June 2020, Sri Lanka Electricity Company Ltd (LECO) signed a contract with Dimo and DHYBRID GmbH to construct Sri Lanka’s first-ever national grid-tied renewable energy-based microgrid at the University of Moratuwa. The project is funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and will embark on a new paradigm in the field of distributed power generation in Sri Lanka.
Microgrid Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Targets, Policies, and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Institutional Sites
5.1.2 Commercial Facilities
5.1.3 Remote Off-grid Communities
5.1.4 Other Applications (Utility/Grid-connected Communities, Military, Etc.)
5.2.1 Customer Microgrid
5.2.2 Remote Power Systems
5.2.3 Other Types
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Hitachi Energy Ltd
6.3.2 General Electric Company
6.3.3 Siemens AG
6.3.4 Eaton Corporation PLC
6.3.5 Honeywell International Inc.
6.3.6 Toshiba Corp.
6.3.7 Schneider Electric SE
6.3.8 Standard Microgrid Inc.
6.3.9 ENGIE EPS SA
6.3.10 S&C Electric Co.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Microgrid Market Research FAQs
How big is the Microgrid Market?
The Microgrid Market size is expected to reach USD 13.37 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 19.08% to reach USD 32.01 billion by 2028.
What is the current Microgrid Market size?
In 2023, the Microgrid Market size is expected to reach USD 13.37 billion.
Who are the key players in Microgrid Market?
Siemens AG, General Electric Company, Eaton Corporation PLC, Schneider Electric SE and Hitachi Energy Ltd are the major companies operating in the Microgrid Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Microgrid Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Microgrid Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Microgrid Market.
Micro Grid Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Micro Grid market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Micro Grid analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.