|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The methionine market was estimated at 1,443.95 kilotons in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted due to COVID-19 in 2020. The transportation limitations implemented across the world in response to the pandemic disrupted the supply chain of major raw materials required for methionine production like sulfur, methanol, ammonia, propylene, etc. This slowed down methionine production in several countries. The lockdown also slowed down the operations of several end-user industries of the market studied, which has resulted in reduced demand for methionine in comparison to the pre-COVID-19 period. However, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, thereby restoring the growth trajectory of the market over the forecast period.
- Over the medium term, emerging demand from the aquaculture industry and growing demand from the poultry industry are driving the growth of the market. The demand for processed and ready-to-eat foods, particularly frozen foods, is rising globally, as the increasingly time-pressed consumers have embraced the convenience of freezer and microwave cooking. Demands such as these are driving the growth of the poultry industry, in turn, driving the market growth.
- The complex process of manufacturing methionine and the negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to hinder the market growth.
- Eco-friendly means of extracting methionine are projected to act as an opportunity for the market in the future.
- By end-user industry, the animal feed segment accounted for the largest share.
- The Asia-Pacific region accounted for the largest share in 2020, and it is expected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Methionine is an essential amino acid, which is of great importance to human and animal bodies. It helps in the formation of many substances containing protein, along with sulfur-containing amino acids. The methionine market is segmented by type, end-user industry, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into liquid and powder. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into food and beverage, pharmaceutical, animal feed, and other end-user industries. The report also offers market size and forecasts for 15 countries across major regions. For all the above segments, market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilotons).
|Food and Beverage|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Animal Feed Segment
- The animal feed segment dominated the methionine market, with a share of more than 90%.
- For the cattle, poultry, swine, and aquaculture industries, methionine is used (extensively) as an additive in the feed. Methionine is essential for all animals and is used as an ingredient to help animals meet the necessary health requirements. Animals cannot produce methionine in their body, so it is provided to them in their feed as a nutritional additive.
- The amount of methionine is quite low in natural ingredients, and hence, it is provided as a nutrient feed additive during the animal feed. Methionine helps improve the efficiency of the utilization of protein in animals. It also aids metabolism, quick growth, and muscle bulk growth. It also helps in performance during heat stress and reduces nitrogen excretion.
- The right type of feed is necessary to provide nutritious ingredients to animals, and so, methionine is a beneficial raw material for the animal feed industry. Methionine products help improve health, provide a proper diet for animals, and lower the cost of feed. These products also help in sustainable production and improve the environment.
- The rising incidences of animal diseases have led to the increased use of methionine in animal feed in various regional markets. Asia-Pacific and North America have higher demands for maintaining adequate metabolism rates in livestock. Consumer awareness has also grown in this segment, which has increased the demand for animal feed.
- The UN Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) estimates that the world will have to produce ca. 60% more food by 2050, and it is believed that animal protein production will grow even more – meats (poultry/swine/beef) will double, as well as dairy and fish production will almost triple by 2050.
- The top eight countries are China, the United States, Brazil, Russia, India, Mexico, Spain, and Turkey. Together, they account for 55% of the world’s feed production and contain 59% of the world’s feed mills.
- All such growth depicting factors in animal feed consumption are, in turn, driving the market for methionine, which forms a part of animal feed.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Market
- China’s methionine demand is rising faster than the global average due to the rising demand for meat products from China’s wealthy middle class. The enormous growth can be explained by the surging demand for animal feed used in the livestock and farming industries. Since the population almost doubled to 1.4 billion people, the country’s demand for meat and animal feed has exploded.
- Presently, China has emerged as one of the biggest production houses globally, and it is the principal location for the manufacture and export of methionine products. China is the world's biggest feed market, as well as the biggest swine market.
- The country is expected to become the leading consumer of methionine in the region, accounting for a major share of the Asia-Pacific methionine market. The manufacturers are facing challenges due to environmental pressure and measurements. The government has laid stringent regulations to obey waste disposal and pollution requirements, which may force the companies to limit production.
- The methionine overcapacity in China is also a major threat to manufacturers. As this business is considered one of the most profitable businesses, many companies, such as Bluestar, Adisseo, and Evonik, aim to expand their production facilities in the country. For instance, Adisseo announced a new liquid methionine plant in China, with an annual capacity of 180 kilo metric ton per year, which is expected to be operational by mid-2021.
- Recently, the development of China's aquaculture industry accelerated hugely. The capacity of pork eggs and livestock also ranked in the first place worldwide. This scenario is creating an exciting opportunity for the methionine market in the country.
- Furthermore, China is the second-largest market for pharmaceuticals globally. The market for pharmaceuticals is emerging rapidly, owing to the growing middle-class and aging society present in the country, rising incomes, and increasing urbanization. The pharmaceutical sales of the country are expected to reach up to USD 175 billion by 2022. The country has a large and diverse domestic drug industry, comprising around 5,000 manufacturers, of which many are small- or medium-sized companies. This is expected to boost the growth of the usage of methionine in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Another end user of the food and beverage industry in China is also growing at a rapid pace. China accounts for almost one-fourth of the total global population, and the country hosts one of the most rapidly developing consumer markets in the world, which provides a tremendous boost to the food and beverage industry.
- All the aforementioned factors are driving the market for methionine in China over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The methionine market is highly consolidated, with the top four players accounting for more than 80% of the market. Key players in the methionine market include Adisseo, Evonik Industries AG, NOVUS INTERNATIONAL, Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd, and Chongqing Unisplendour Chemical Co. Ltd, among others.
Evonik Industries AG
Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd
Chongqing Unisplendour Chemical Co., Ltd.
- In August 2020, Novus International filed methionine antidumping petitions with the US Department of Commerce and International Trade Commission. The company has filed a petition to investigate imports of methionine from Spain, France, and Japan, in line with the World Trade Organization Antidumping Agreement. The petition claims that the illegal dumping of methionine in the US market at an artificially low price has been hurting the US agriculture industry.
- In April 2019, Novus International canceled its plan of investing in developing a new methionine plant in Calhoun County, Texas, United States, due to an increase in cost estimates of the project as a result of a spike in the engineering, procurement, and construction costs.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Emerging Demand from the Aquaculture Industry
4.1.2 Growing Demand from the Poultry Industry
4.2.1 Complex Process of Manufacturing Methionine
4.2.2 Negative Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Food and Beverage
5.2.3 Animal Feed
5.2.4 Other End-user Industries
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Chongqing Unisplendour Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.3 CJ CheilJedang Corp.
6.4.4 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.5 NOVUS INTERNATIONAL
6.4.6 Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.7 Volzhsky Orgsynthese JSC
6.4.8 Zhejiang NHU Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Eco-friendly Means of Extracting Methionine
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Methionine Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Methionine Market?
The Methionine Market is growing at a CAGR of >6% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Methionine Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Methionine Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Methionine Market?
Adisseo, Evonik Industries AG, Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd, NOVUS INTERNATIONAL, Chongqing Unisplendour Chemical Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in Methionine Market.