|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Metal Powder Market is projected to register a CAGR of above 4% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the metal powder market because of quarantined workforces, widespread shutdown of business, and disrupted supply chain. During the pandemic, many factories responsible for metal production such as iron, aluminum, bronze, and nickel for the metal powder industry were shut down. The closure of these manufacturing plants has dampened the sales of metal powder. The sectors like automobile, aerospace, and chemicals were on temporary hold. In the automobile industry, metal powder is used to produce complex parts such as steering and transmission components, braking & fuel systems & engine components. Therefore, the growth of the metal powder sector has been severely affected by dwindling sales of vehicles due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Over the short term, rising demand for lightweight parts in automotive and aerospace industry, increasing of different of 3D-printing technologies, and increasing use of electronic devices are some of the driving factors which are stimulating the market demand.
- Environmental implications of using metal powder are hindering the market's growth.
- However, increasing developments in medical industries as bridges, partials, and copings are fabricated from metal powders in the dental field is likely to create opportunities for the market in the coming years.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Metal powders are fine particles of metals which used as a base material for many metal part production. The main characteristics of metal powders include the particle size distribution, the surface condition, particle shape, and the structure of the powder. Most types of metals and their alloys come in metal powders such as iron, aluminum, chromium, bronze, silicon, cobalt, metal carbides, and more. These metal powders are produced by different processes such as atomization, machining & grinding, reduction, and electrolytic precipitation. The metal powder market is segmented by process, type, end-user industry, and geography. By process, the market is segmented into atomization, reduction of compounds, electrolysis, and others. By type, the market is segmented into aluminum, nickel, iron, bronze, silicon, and other types. By end-user Industries, the market is segmented into transportation, electrical and electronics, medical, chemical and metallurgical, defense, construction, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the metal powder market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilo tons).
|Reduction of compounds|
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Chemical and Metallurgical|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Usage in the Transportation Industry
- Metal powder is the fastest-growing product in the automobile industry. The properties of metal powder help to improve the bulk properties of complex components such as reactivity, flow ability, compressibility, porosity, and hardenability.
- The global total production of vehicles was around 7,76,21,582 in 2020, and it increased to 8,01,45,988 in 2021. Also, in terms of revenue, the global automobile was generated about USD 2.7 trillion in 2021. It is projected that the market will grow to some USD 2.8 trillion in 2022.
- On average across all geographical regions, around 80% of all metal powder structural components are produced for automotive applications. The metal powder finds application in various automobile parts such as in oil pumps particularly gears, shock absorbers (piston rod guides, piston valves, end valves), Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS), Exhaust systems (flanges, oxygen sensor bosses), Chassis components, Variable Valve Timing systems, Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems, and Turbochargers
- Automobile manufacturers prefer iron powder for making brake pads and magnetic products to lower the brake weight, minimize the noise, and reduce material usage. The other products which are produced from metal powders are pulleys, thrust and backup washers, differential gear sets, helical gears, bevel gears, planetary gears, sprockets, output pulleys, fuel system flanges, exhaust flanges, access covers, spacers, racks, and many others. China is the leading exporter of automotive components with annual vehicle production accounted for over 30% of worldwide vehicle production. This enhanced the growth of automobile industry which has stimulated the market demand for metal powder.
- Furthermore, according to the Boeing Commercial Outlook 2021-2040, the total global deliveries of new airplanes estimated to 43,610 by 2040. The global airplane fleet amounted for around 25,900 as of year 2019. Owing to such huge expected deliveries, the demand for metal powders is likely to rise, globally.
- Owing to all these factors, the market for metal powder is likely to grow globally during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market. In the region, China is the largest economy, in terms of GDP (Gross Domestic Product). China and India are among the fastest emerging economies in the world.
- China is the world's leading producer and exporter of both automobiles and their parts. China continues to be the world's largest vehicle market with the Chinese government expecting that automobile output will reach 35 million by 2025. Also, in 2020, the overall sales of vehicles in China rose 16.4% year-on-year compared with the year-earlier level to 2.11 million vehicles and the annual sales volume of new energy vehicles in China is likely to hit 3 million units in 2025.
- In the fiscal year 2021, in India, the annual production of automobiles was 22.65 million vehicles that showed growth, and total sales increased by 5.8% to 18.49 million units, compared to 17.47 million units in 2020. Moreover, India’s automobile exports reached 4.13 million vehicles in 2021, growing at a CAGR of 3.47% from 2016 to 2021.
- India has also become the third-largest domestic aviation market in the world and is expected to become the third largest air passenger market by 2024 and the number of airplanes is expected to reach 1,100 planes by 2027.
- China is also a leading producer of electronic products such as laptops, TVs, mobile phones, refrigerators, radiators, and many others. The revenue in the Chinese electronics segment is projected to reach USD 393.50 bn in 2022 with an annual growth rate of 4.04 %. In 2021, the value-added in the electronics manufacturing industry in China grew by 15.7 percent from the previous year, reaching the highest point of the given period which in-turns stimulate the demand for the metal powder market.
- Due to all such factors, the market for metal powder in the region is expected to have steady growth during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The metal powder market is fragmented in nature. Some of the major players in the market include Tekna Holding AS, BASF SE, AMETEK Inc., Sandvik AB, Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd, and others (not in any particular order).
- In November 2021, Sandvik AB invested in metal powder capacity for additive manufacturing (AM) by installing two additional atomization towers at the production site in Neath, United Kingdom.
- In June 2021, BASF SE opened a new Center of Excellence laboratory for its Catamold business in Shanghai, China which is a ready-to-use pellets for powder injection molding. It consists of metal powder and a tailor-made binding agent.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rising Demand for Lightweight Parts in Automotive and Aerospace Industry
4.1.2 Increasing technology of 3D-printing Process
4.1.3 Increasing Use of Electronic Devices
4.2.1 Environmental Implications of Using Metal Powder
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.2 Reduction of compounds
5.1.4 Other Processes
5.2.6 Other Types
5.3 End-User Industry
5.3.2 Electrical and Electronics
5.3.4 Chemical and Metallurgical
5.3.7 Other End-user Industries
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Advanced Technology & Materials Co., Ltd.
6.4.2 Alcoa Inc.
6.4.3 Allegheny Technologies Incorporated
6.4.4 AMETEK Inc.
6.4.5 ATI Powder Metals
6.4.6 Aubert & Duval
6.4.7 Australian Metal Powders Supplies Pty Ltd.
6.4.8 BASF SE
6.4.9 Carpenter Additive
6.4.10 CNPC Powder North America Inc.
6.4.11 GKN PLC
6.4.12 Hitachi Chemicals Co. Ltd.
6.4.13 Hoganas AB
6.4.15 Praxair Surface Technologies Inc.
6.4.16 Rio Tinto Plc
6.4.17 Royal Metal Powders
6.4.18 Sandvik AB
6.4.19 Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd.
6.4.20 Tekna Holding AS
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Developments in Healthcare Industries
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Metal Powder Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Metal Powder Market?
The Metal Powder Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Metal Powder Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Metal Powder Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Metal Powder Market?
Tekna Holding AS, BASF SE , AMETEK Inc., Sandvik AB , Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in Metal Powder Market.