Engineering Services Industry Overview
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Engineering Services Market Analysis
The engineering services market is expected to register a CAGR of 8% during the forecast period. One of the primary factors driving the increased acceptance of the engineering services market is expected to be the expanding collaboration between original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and engineering service providers (ESP). The increasing need to shorten product life cycles and cut costs and the rising desire for product options that incorporate the most outdated technology is expected to support market expansion. The market for engineering services has been expanding steadily along with clients' willingness to outsource various services to reduce costs.
- The ES model, which was created later to provide clients with smart solutions, is additionally useful. The embedded engineering solutions market in the ES sector has undergone a paradigm shift from essential engineering services to solutions that include automation, analytics, and the Internet of Things (IoT), among other things. Furthermore, platform-as-a-service (PaaS) plans with bundled IT solutions are now possible thanks to technical improvements.
- Engineering services firms are critical enablers of this global vision, as they are upgrading infrastructure to incorporate sensing technology and data analytics that could improve people's lives. Thus, the new investments for industry expansion and massive infrastructure investments in countries such as India, Indonesia, and China are now fueling the growth of engineering and design services.
- Moreover, another factor driving the market is digitization, which has triggered organizations to demand advanced IT solutions such as engineering analytics, the Internet of Things (IoT), and artificial intelligence (AI) to gain an edge over their competitors and maintain the momentum of the company. This is the result of the increasing penetration of industrial IoT in several industry verticals; with this, the demand for engineering services sees exponential growth for managing complex connected infrastructure.
Engineering services firms are accustomed to cyclical downturns, but COVID-19's speed and force were unparalleled. Projects were getting pushed back or shelved. Supply lines were in danger. The labor health of employees and subcontractors was a concern, and social distance on building sites presented some practical difficulties. Employers that had to lay off staff worried about their future availability and skill level. The effects of the lockdowns also compelled specific engineering and contracting companies to restructure debt, look for new sources of finance, or risk going bankrupt because many of them lacked significant cash reserves.
Engineering Services Industry Segments
The engineering services disciplines consist of civil, electrical, mechanical, piping, and structural engineering. Any service or creative work that needs the application of specialized knowledge from the mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences to such services or works as consulting, investigation, or evaluation falls within the definition of "engineering services."
Engineering Disciplines (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Piping, and Structural Engineering), Delivery Mode (Offshore and Onsite), Services (Product Engineering, Process Engineering, Automation Related Services, and Asset Management Related Services), Industries (Aerospace and Defense, Automotive, Chemical and Petrochemical, Electric Power Generation, Municipal Utility Projects, Mining, Oil and Gas, Pharmaceuticals, and Telecomm) are the segments of the Engineering Services Market.
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Engineering Disciplines|
|Piping and Structural Engineering|
|By Delivery Model|
|Automation Related Services|
|Asset Management Related Services|
|Aerospace and Defense|
|Chemical and Petrochemical|
|Electric Power Generation|
|Municipal Utility Projects|
|Oil and Gas|
|Other Industries ( Electronics and Electricals, Semiconductors, and Machinery)|
Engineering Services Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Engineering Services Market according to our research experts:
Civil Engineering Services is Expected to Register a Significant Growth
- Rising demand for environmentally friendly buildings coupled with government initiatives to revamp the country's depleted infrastructure and increasing public and private sector investments in residential, commercial, healthcare, and educational infrastructure construction projects globally are providing the civil engineering market with the opportunity to expand exponentially.
- Industrial goods manufacturing organizations are heavily embracing the execution of private, public, and hybrid clouds to modernize their information technology-driven infrastructure, drive automation, and streamline inheritance processes. The ability of the industrial internet of things to reduce downtimes, find and fix mistakes, and lower the cost of supervision is expected to be a key factor in the growth of the industrial segment.
- For instance, in August this year, Jacobs declared its intention to use a brand-new holding company structure. The new parent company's name, Jacobs Solutions Inc., is a better match for Jacobs' public image as a global company that offers cutting-edge technology solutions.
- Another thing that is growing the market share is the use of robots in the construction industry. Robots are becoming more popular in the construction industry because they can do repetitive tasks that make workers safer. This helps increase overall productivity, which in turn grows the market share.
- For example, a Canadian-based robotics company, Novarc Technologies, demonstrated its Spool Welding Robot (SWR). This robot would help in pipe welding applications that would solve industrial automation problems. These robots would lower the cost of welding and positively affect the market.
Further, in the future, engineering firms will augment their portfolios with digital and connected technology assets to capture a larger market share.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia- Pacific to Witness Fastest Growth
- A supporting government initiative to build economic infrastructure together with an increasing rate of urbanization in the Asia Pacific area is two critical factors affecting the market's growth. With an average yearly pace of 3%, East Asia and the Pacific are also the parts of the world that are urbanizing the fastest. Due to several factors, the market for engineering services is anticipated to grow in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Industrial items are manufactured in the area, and highly skilled engineering professionals provide cost-effective employment support. Additionally, the region serves as the hub of significant software outsourcing service providers. The expansion of the Asia-Pacific regional market is anticipated to be driven by the escalating need for technological advancement and the pervasive integration of embedded software into the existing models.
- The Asia-Pacific region is dominated by two highly populated countries, i.e., India and China. China is making significant infrastructural investments to expand 163,000 kilometers for gas, 37,000 for crude, and 40,000 for oil products. The new 40,000-kilometer gas pipeline would connect 470 million new people by 2025. Such investments provide opportunities for engineering services to flourish in the region, considering the functional benefits that these services can provide.
- Moreover, with levels of urbanization reaching above 50% in APAC by the previous year, there will be increased consumption of products and services, encouraging various industries to develop their facilities and offices in these economies. Hence, this would provide ample opportunity for the engineering services market to increase its regional footprint.
- Additionally, governments are investing in the aviation industry, intending to boost global trade in the country, further driving the market. For instance, India plans to open 100 additional airports by 2024, which would include the start of 1,000 new routes connecting smaller towns and villages in the country. So, this kind of development would lead to more infrastructure construction in the area, which would be good for the engineering services market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Engineering Services Market Competitor Analysis
The engineering services market is very competitive because of the presence of many global players, such as AECOM, Bechtel Corporation, and Kiewit Corporation, among others. A significant trend of mergers and alliances among various international engineering firms has been seen over the past decade to increase the market's foothold. International players in the market are more acquisitive and look to acquire smaller players, which creates a barrier for new entrants. A few recent developments in the market are:
In October 2022, to digitally modernize the global construction and infrastructure industries, Tech Mahindra, a top provider of digital transformation, consulting, and business reengineering services and solutions, partnered with SoftTech. In order to provide tailored solutions for the end-to-end digital transformation of businesses in the building and infrastructure sectors, the collaboration will bring together the technological skills of Tech Mahindra and the domain experience of SoftTech.
Engineering Services Market Top Players
AECOM Engineering company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Engineering Services Market Recent Developments
- April 2022: In a statement, Cyient said it had signed binding contracts to buy Citec, a multinational provider of plant and product engineering services with clients in the industrial, energy, process, and oil and gas sectors. This will be Cyient's largest purchase and its first outbound acquisition by an Indian engineering services provider.
- September 2022: One of the world's major producers of aerostructures for commercial aircraft, defense platforms, and business and regional jets, Spirit AeroSystems, Inc., has signed a five-year contract with Infosys, a pioneer in next-generation digital services and consulting. To build new commercial, business jet, and emerging aircraft programs, Infosys will work with Spirit AeroSystems to deliver aerostructure and systems engineering services, as well as maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) services.
Engineering Services Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Market Definition and Scope
1.2 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Stakeholder Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Evolution of Industrial IoT
5.1.2 Increasing Civil Engineering Services due to rapid urbanization throughout the region to drive the overall market.
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Political Problems and Lack of Skilled Professionals
5.3 Impact of Covid-19 in Supply Chain Distribution of Engineering Services
6. KEY TECHNOLOGY INVESTMENTS
6.1 Cloud Technology
6.2 Artificial Intelligence
6.3 Cyber Security
6.4 Digital Services
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.1 By Engineering Disciplines
7.1.4 Piping and Structural Engineering
7.2 By Delivery Model
7.3 By Services
7.3.1 Product Engineering
7.3.2 Process Engineering
7.3.3 Automation Related Services
7.3.4 Asset Management Related Services
7.4 By Industries
7.4.1 Aerospace and Defense
7.4.3 Chemical and Petrochemical
7.4.4 Electric Power Generation
7.4.5 Municipal Utility Projects
7.4.7 Oil and Gas
7.4.11 Nuclear Projects
7.4.12 Other Industries ( Electronics and Electricals, Semiconductors, and Machinery)
7.5.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
7.5.4 Latin America
220.127.116.11 Rest of Latin America
7.5.5 Middle East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 AECOM Engineering company
8.1.2 Bechtel Corporation
8.1.3 Kiewit Corporation
8.1.4 WSP Global Inc
8.1.5 STRABAG SE
8.1.6 NV5 Global
8.1.7 Barton Malow
8.1.8 Gilbane Building Company
8.1.9 Jones Lang LaSalle Incorporated
8.1.10 Balfour Beatty US
8.1.11 Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC
8.1.12 New York Engineers
8.1.13 Trylon Engineering Pty Ltd
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Engineering Services Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Engineering Services Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Engineering Services Market?
The Engineering Services Market is growing at a CAGR of 8% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Engineering Services Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Engineering Services Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Engineering Services Market?
AECOM Engineering company, Bechtel Corporation, Kiewit Corporation, STRABAG SE, NV5 Global are the major companies operating in Engineering Services Market.
Engineering Services Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Engineering Services sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Engineering Services research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Engineering Services report PDF.