Africa Poultry Feed Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Africa Poultry Feed Market Analysis
- The African poultry feed market is projected to register a CAGR of 4% during the forecast period.
- Africa's poultry business is booming because of the continent's growing population and socioeconomic expansion as Africans source their animal protein from chicken and eggs. Notably, Africa produces only 4% of the world's chicken poultry products. Thus, there is a need to enhance Africa's poultry production to match the rising consumption rates. The African Union High-Level Panel on Emerging Technologies (APET) suggests that African countries should build innovation and technological capacity to tackle these poultry-related challenges. This can extensively expand the production capacity of poultry production across Africa. APET encourages poultry farmers to utilize innovative approaches and technologies, such as automatic water dispensers, robotics, and automated feeders are emerging as key technologies to improve poultry farming in Africa. Poultry Africa will also focus on increasing local production thereby decreasing dependency on imports. However, African countries should enhance an enabling environment for farming innovation and technologies through strong investments, policies, and regulations. This can enable Africa to accomplish nutrition and food security.
- Poultry farming is one of the largest livestock segments in Africa. Increasing chicken production and the increasing demand for organic feed are other factors stimulating the growth of the market studied. As poultry birds require a higher amount of nutrients, such as protein, fat, and calcium, the application of nutritious feed and feed additives has become mandatory in the African poultry industry.
- South Africa is the largest market in the region and dominates poultry production. The poultry industry holds huge importance both for the economy and for supplying a source of quality protein to subsistence farmers and rural communities. These factors influenced the poultry market of South Africa, which offers free-range eggs, poultry, quality meat, and other items needed to start poultry farming. As the poultry industry expands, quality feed is needed to get quality outputs. Hence, these factors are expected to drive the market in the region.
Africa Poultry Feed Industry Segmentation
The food for farm poultry, including chickens, ducks, geese, and other domestic birds, is referred to as poultry feed. Healthy poultry requires protein and carbohydrates, the necessary vitamins, dietary minerals, and an adequate supply of water supplied through the feed. For this report, only feed sold commercially has been considered. The homemade feed has been excluded from the scope.
The African poultry feed market is segmented by animal type (layer, broiler, turkey, and other animal types), ingredient type (cereal, oilseed meal, molasses, fish oil, and fish meal, supplements, and other ingredient types), and geography (South Africa, Algeria, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Morocco, and Rest of Africa). The report offers the market size and forecasts in terms of both value (USD million) and volume (metric ton) for all the above segments.
|By Animal Type|
|Other Animal Types|
|By Ingredient Type|
|Fish Oil and Fish Meal|
|Other Ingredient Types|
|Rest of Africa|
Africa Poultry Feed Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Africa Poultry Feed Market according to our research experts:
Growing Demand for Poultry Products
Poultry farming in Africa is one of the biggest business opportunities on the continent. The African population’s love for poultry meat and eggs has grown at a staggering pace, leading to increased poultry production, which has boosted the region's poultry feed market. Chicken meat is considered one of the most widely preferred meats among consumers in the region. The demand for white meat is observed to be increasing in the region due to its affordability and the growing perception among consumers that it is healthier than red meat. Due to increasing health awareness among consumers, the demand for chicken meat and its products is anticipated to increase over the coming years.
Poultry products are among the most affordable foods and are a healthy protein source with no religious restrictions. In addition, they have the lowest environmental footprint in terms of water use per kilogram of meat or eggs produced, land use, and environmental stress. According to FAO statistics, the African region witnessed 2.19 billion heads of chicken in 2021. The growth in demand for livestock products has not been matched by similar growth in domestic livestock production. Higher unmet demand, thus, led to an increased dependence on meat imports.
Therefore, the fast-growing poultry industry is anticipated to boost the poultry feed market further over the coming years. The high dependence on meat imports holds despite South Africa, a large economy in both population size and income terms, having a relatively well-developed livestock sector.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
South Africa Dominates the Poultry Production in Africa
South Africa holds the major share of the poultry feed market as the country leads in terms of poultry production in the region. Poultry is the largest industry in the South African agriculture sector, accounting for 19.8% of total agricultural production and 40% of total animal products. In comparison to other African nations, the South African market has already developed. Due to the country's ongoing economic expansion and rising disposable incomes among households, there would be a rising demand for chicken meat, which will also raise feed demand.
The production of poultry meat in South Africa increased over the years followed by Egypt, Uganda Zambia, and Morocco, owing to the growth in the requirement for quality and safe animal protein products. Poultry meat is the highest consumed animal meat in South Africa with a per capita consumption of 33 kg in 2019 as compared to beef per capita consumption of 17 kg/year and 7 kg/year for eggs. Furthermore, as per the South African Poultry Association, the average per capita consumption of chicken reached nearly 39 kg in 2020, more than double the beef consumption of 16kg and more than four times the 9kg of egg consumption. Another trend of fast-food chains, such as KFC, has made deals with the main broiler producers to secure local meat. In Senegal, KFC franchises belong to the Sedima group, the country’s biggest broiler producer. Chicken is just so much more affordable than beef.
The South African poultry feed market is well-established compared to other African countries. The demand for poultry feed is likely to continue to rise due to a growing population, a surge in demand for quality meat products, and a spike in consumer spending, which boosts animal protein consumption. According to the country’s Department of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (DAFF), the increasing demand for meat in South Africa is a key driver for the rising demand for feed. Therefore, huge consumption demand and enormous poultry production are aiding the poultry feed market in the country.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Africa Poultry Feed Industry Overview
The African poultry feed market is fragmented with global and regional players. The major players in the market are Cargill Inc., Kemin Industries, Nutreco, Nova Feeds, and Serfco, among others. Poultry feed firms are actively adopting strategies like product innovation, mergers and acquisitions, and partnerships to increase their sales. The market players are also investing in research and development to launch new products frequently.
Africa Poultry Feed Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Africa Poultry Feed Market News
September 2022: Morocco-based Phosphate player, OCP Group purchases a 50% stake in the animal nutrition business, GlobalFeed, from the Spanish fertilizers group, Fertinagro Biotech. This deal would increase the OCP group's presence in the animal nutrition business, including poultry feed.
August 2021: Nutreco partnered with Unga Group PLC to form two joint ventures, which helped meet the growing demand for high-quality protein feed in the East African region. Nutreco received regulatory approval for its partnership with Unga Group PLC to form two joint ventures in the East African region in 2022. Nutroeco partnered with two indirect subsidies of Unga Group, namely, Unga Farm Care Limited in Kenya and Unga Millers Limited in Uganda.
April 2021: Kemin Industries launched a new antioxidant solution, Paradigmox Green, for the organic livestock production industry in the EMENA (Europe, Middle East, North Africa) region which can offer a complete antioxidant solutions portfolio of liquid or dry, traditional, or organic and that fits seamlessly with the customer.
Africa Poultry Feed Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Animal Type
5.1.4 Other Animal Types
5.2 By Ingredient Type
5.2.2 Oilseed Meal
5.2.4 Fish Oil and Fish Meal
5.2.6 Other Ingredient Types
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 South Africa
5.3.6 Rest of Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.2 Novus International
6.3.3 Kemin Industries Inc.
6.3.4 Cargill Inc.
6.3.6 Alltech Inc.
6.3.10 BASF SE
6.3.11 Dupont Nutrition & Biosciences
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Africa Poultry Feed Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Africa Poultry Feed Market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Africa Poultry Feed Market?
The Africa Poultry Feed Market is growing at a CAGR of 4% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Africa Poultry Feed Market?
Cargill Inc., Kemin Industries, Nova Feeds, Serfco, Nutreco are the major companies operating in Africa Poultry Feed Market.
Africa Poultry Feed Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Africa Poultry Feed market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Africa Poultry Feed analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.