MEMS-based oscillator market was worth USD 138.51 billion in 2017 and is projected to grow to USD 1,286.71 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 40.58% over 2018-2023 the (forecast period). The report discusses the type of oscillators deployed in various end-user industries. While the regions considered in the scope of the report include North America, Europe, APAC, Latin America, and MEA. Apart from this, the report also discusses how the growing demand for electronic device miniaturization and customization drives the market.
The MEMS-based oscillators have been making rapid progress and gaining a dominant share in the market. Advances in further developing quartz crystal-based oscillators have reached a plateau, while there has been an increase in demand for higher performance, size, and cost. The disruptive MEMS-based technology has challenged the predominant quartz crystal, by providing a viable alternative solution, which is highly affordable, and can perform in accordance to the requirements posed by the wide range of industrial applications. MEMS has witnessed a significantly high penetration across different applications, such as sensing pressure, motion, and acceleration.
Significant cost-reduction and a host of functional advantages have rendered MEMS-based oscillators fit to replace the quartz crystal oscillators in commercial applications. Critical technical issues, such as silicon’s frequency temperature coefficient and the drift caused, due to packaging contamination (which is evident in MEMS-based oscillators), have been major restricting factors for the wide-scale adoption of these oscillators.
Growing Demand of Smartphones and Wearables to Drive the Market
MEMS-based oscillator's increasing penetration in applications that require higher accuracy and longer battery life, such as wearables, IoT, and mobile devices, is expected to drive the market. Wearables are expected to witness a double-digit growth, year-over-year this year, which encompasses a variety of device types and form factors, from smart watches to body-worn cameras and even head-mounted displays. Moreover, smartphones are also expected to witness a healthy growth, due to a surge in sales in countries, such as India and China. In addition, advent of technologies, such as 5G, is further expected to push the demand for smartphones, in turn, driving the MEMS-based oscillator market.
Increasing Demand for Automotive Applications to Augment Growth
Digitization and increasing automation have revolutionized the automotive sector. These factors give rise to several disruptive technology-driven trends in the automotive sector, diverse mobility, autonomous driving, electrification, and connectivity. Moreover, MEMS oscillators help in delivering the maximum performance and best robustness. They are designed for ASIL (Automotive Safety Integrity Level) compliant automotive applications, like electronic control units (ECUs), advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), and in-vehicle Ethernet and powertrain.
Apart from this, the automotive industry is witnessing a massive transformation, with new features, such as advanced safety and driver assistance systems, electrification, automation, and real-time big data analytics. MEMS technologies play a significant role in this transformation, further driving the demand in the segment.
North America to have the Highest Market Share
North America accounts for the largest market for MEMS-based oscillators, reinforced by the presence of an established industrial sector and booming automotive and consumer electronics industries. The volume of automobile production in the region has witnessed a growth in the 2014-201 period. In addition, the growth of connected and driverless cars in the region and IoT applications in the automotive segment are also expected to drive the demand for MEMS-based oscillators. Moreover, the gradually increasing demand for smartphones in the region, specifically due to the local player Apple's product, iPhone, is further expected to drive the demand for MEMS-based oscillators.
Key Developments in the Market
- December 2017 - SiTime Corporation announced new MEMS-based oscillators for automotive networking in advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS). These solutions are expected to propel the automotive industry forward in the development of driverless cars.
- July 2017 - IQD’s launched MEMS-based oscillators, which are designed for applications that require AEC-Q100 qualified automotive grade products. There are four models in the range to cover variations in package style, supply voltage, and frequency range. All are factory programmable, which ensures very short lead-times for both design-in volume and full production.
Major Players: SITime Corporation, Microchip Technology Inc., Vectron International Inc., Abracon Holdings, LLC, TXC Corporation, IQD Frequency Product Ltd, Ecliptek Corporation, ILSI America LLC, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future global MEMS-based oscillator market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Growth of Smartphones and Wearable's
4.2.2 Growing Demand for Electronic Device Miniaturization and Customization
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 High R&D Costs
4.4 Industry Attractiveness – Porter's Five Industry Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
5. Global MEMS-based Oscillator Market Segmentation
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 VCXO – Voltage Control Oscillator
5.1.2 TCXO - Temperature Compensated Oscillator
5.1.3 SSXO - Spread Spectrum Oscillator
5.1.4 FSXO - Frequency Select Oscillator
5.1.5 DCXO - Digitally Controlled Oscillator
5.2 By End-user Industry
5.2.2 Aerospace & Defense
5.2.3 Consumer Electronics
5.2.5 Medical & Healthcare
5.3 By Region
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Rest of the World
6. Competitive Intelligence – Company Profiles
6.1 SiTime Corporation
6.2 Microchip Technology Inc.
6.3 Vectron International Inc.
6.4 Abracon Holdings LLC
6.5 TXC Corporation
6.6 IOD Frequency Product Ltd
6.7 Ecliptek Corporation
6.8 ILSI America LLC
7. Investment Analysis
8. Future MEMS-based Oscillator Market