Malta POS Terminal Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Malta POS Terminal Market Analysis
The Malta POS terminal market is expected to register a CAGR of 13.87% during the forecast period 2022-2027. The POS terminal systems have changed in the present market from being transaction-oriented devices to systems that support and interface with organizations' CRM and other financial solutions. This situation made it possible for businesses to use POS terminal-captured transactional data for business intelligence.
- The rise in the expenditure of domestic tourists in Malta is one of the primary drivers that is augmenting the market growth exponentially. According to National Statistics Office Malta, the overall expenditure of domestic travelers in Malta was significantly higher during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic as compared to the previous year. In 2021, domestic spending peaked at nearly 80 million euros, rising from over 59 million euros in 2020. Meanwhile, the overall number of domestic tourists in Malta recorded an eight percent annual increase in 2021. This rise in the number and expenditure of domestic tourists will fuel the Malta POS terminal market to grow in the next upcoming years.
- Moreover, the greater use of cashless and contactless payment options in Malta is a vital factor that is driving the total growth of the market. In addition, the total population of Malta is in the growing stage, although it is growing at a very slow pace. But as the overall population of Malta grows, the demand for consumer goods will increase significantly and thus will enhance the growth of the Malta POS terminal market. As per World Bank, Malta's population had increased by approximately 0.3 percent in the year 2021 as compared to the previous year.
- Also, according to the World Bank, in the year 2021, about 14.42 percent of Malta's total population were aged mostly from 0 to 14 years, and about 63.77 percent of Malta's total population were aged 15 to 64 years. This signifies that the maximum of the population of Malta is between the range of 15 to 64 years of age. This rise of the people within this range in Malta will make a positive impact in terms of driving the market forward.
- On the other hand, the steady growth in security concerns due to the usage of critical information while using the POS terminal could be a factor that can stifle the market growth in Malta.
- The wholesale and retail sector remains very significant pillar of the Maltese economy. But due to the Covid 19 impact, both sectors have been one of the hardest hits due to the restrictions that were imposed for health reasons. However, the COVID-19 pandemic created a demand for contactless payments, thereby enhancing the total need for POS terminals equipped with NFC, RFID, and other technologies accepting payments from contactless chip cards or digital interface cards.
Malta POS Terminal Industry Segmentation
The study tracks the number of fixed and mobile POS Terminals in Malta. Fixed/EPOS Terminals are primarily PC-based workstations, namely LAN-available terminals and PC-class Processors, that are programmable and can transfer data to other devices unrestrictedly. Mobile Terminals include electronic funds terminals like a countertop, multilane, tablet, handheld terminals, PCI-DSS approved chip & PIN devices, approved chip & signature devices, and mPOS devices. All other systems, like PC-based systems, PIN pads, etc., are excluded from the scope.
The Malta POS Terminal Market is segmented by Type (Fixed Point-of-sale Systems, Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems), End-User Industry (Retail, Hospitality, Healthcare).
|Fixed Point-of-sale Systems|
|Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems|
|By End-User Industry|
Malta POS Terminal Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Malta POS Terminal Market according to our research experts:
Rise in the e-commerce sector and rapid urbanization rate has driven the need of POS Terminals in Malta
- In the current market scenario, Malta is facing a high rise in the e-commerce sector, especially due to the rise in the various e-commerce startups and companies. This is one of the primary reasons for the enhancement of the market growth in the region. These startups and companies are taking various approaches to innovate the e-commerce industry. Companies across the size spectrum ranging from cutting-edge startups to established brands, are known for exceptional performance in factors like innovation, innovative ideas, innovative products, exceptional growth strategy, management, etc.
- Moreover, Malta has achieved considerable progress in developing an ICT-oriented society. It performs much better than the average of the EU in terms of broadband connectivity and internet usage. Moreover, Malta is the only Member State in the EU with full coverage of very fast broadband, with subscriptions to such services growing yearly.
- According to the Digital Economy and Society Index (DESI) 2022, Malta remains one of the top-performing countries in broadband connectivity and the provision of digital public services. Also, it is one of the most advanced Member States on total VHCN coverage (all with more than 90% of homes covered). In addition, in the area of digital public services, Malta has one of the highest scores for digital public services. Hence with the rise in digital public services, the market is expected to face various lucrative growth opportunities in the upcoming days.
- On the other hand, the overall economic power of Malta is in a rising state. The aggregate value of all services and goods produced within the country every year is rising steadily. According to IMF, in 2021, Malta's gross domestic product amounted to around 17.2 billion U.S. dollars, whereas it was 14.91 billion U.S. dollars in 2020. This rise in the GDP will impact the POS terminal market positively and will enhance the overall growth rate of the market.
- Furthermore, the share of the urban population in the total population in Malta is quite huge. As per World Bank, in 2021, 94.81% of Malta's total population lived in urban areas and cities, which shows a greater degree of urbanization in Malta in the year 2021. This greater degree of urbanization has propelled the need of POS terminals and acts as one of the key drivers of market growth, and hence the market is going to have a positive impact due to this.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Rising adoption of innovative payment options by the small retailers
- The financial sector is one of the fastest growing sector of the entire Maltese economy. The country is internationally recognized as a world-class center for blue chip banks, investment houses, and fund managers. Malta has a set of comprehensive laws and restrictions that mostly regulate financial services and provide a favorable regulatory & legal framework for the provision of such services. This indicates the government’s commitment to supporting and sustaining development in the sector.
- On the other hand, the small retailers and trading companies in Malta have adopted a wide range of innovative payment options like third-party payment apps (e.g., Paypal, Revolut, etc.); Virtual Currencies, Credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc.); Debit cards (Quikcash, Cashlink, etc.)
- According to The Internet & eCommerce Use by Business Survey 2021 survey, it has been found that out of various payment methods offered to online customers, around 59 % of the respondents use third-party payment apps (e.g., Paypal, Revolut, etc.). A total of 431 businesses across Malta and Gozo were interviewed in the survey. The survey was conducted to assess the level of digitalization amongst the local business community as it makes headway in its journey of digital transformation. The sample population was stratified proportionately among fourteen business sectors based on the actual number of registered companies in each sector.
- The Maltese retail distribution sector is primarily made up of small local retail stores and street vendors. However, entry into the EU and the overall adoption of the Euro have changed the face of traditional local retailing and have paved the way for large European retailers and franchises to expand on the islands. This rise in the number of retailers will influence the market growth in a positive manner and will help the market to grow in the future.
- For instance, as per Eurostat, in 2022, there were around 33,442 SMEs operating in Malta, with the majority of these (30,903) being micro-sized enterprises which employed between zero and nine people. Additionally, there were approximately 2,154 small businesses, which had between 10 and 49 employees, and 386 medium-sized businesses.
Malta POS Terminal Industry Overview
Due to the existence of a few players, the Malta POS Terminal Market is a bit fragmented. Moreover, because of the partnerships and recent advancements in the Market, the sector is characterized by moderate competition. Trust Payments Ltd., Paymentwall Inc., Scope Solutions among other companies, are some of the major participants in the field. Recent changes in the market include:
- June 2022 - Trust Payments, a disruptive leader in fintech specializing in frictionless payments and value-added services, is extending its existing relationship with Fiserv to assist the company’s ambitious growth & worldwide expansion strategies. The new long-term agreement will allow Trust Payments to provide its clients with on-demand payment capabilities, allowed by acquiring-as-a-service (AqaaS) capabilities from Fiserv. The total emergence of AqaaS has made it possible for a greater range of fintech beyond financial institutions or large payment processors to become merchant acquirers, enabling the acceptance of card payments for their own clients.
Malta POS Terminal Market Leaders
Trust Payments Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Malta POS Terminal Market News
- February 2022 - Trust Payments, the disruptive leader in fintech specializing in frictionless payments and value-added services, announced the acquisition of retail technology leaders, WonderLane. The move enables Trust Payments to offer innovative retail operations technology solutions to any store with its electronic point of sale (ePOS) offering, allowing truly omnichannel commerce and payments solutions – all of which supports the rising trend for self-checkouts and wireless contact payments on the move.
Malta POS Terminal Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rise in the e-commerce sector and urbanization in Malta
5.1.2 Growing adoption of innovative payment options by the small retailers
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Rising security concerns due to the usage of critical information
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.3.1 Increasing adoption of in-store mobile payments among customers
5.4 Key Regulations and Complaince Standards of PoS Terminals
5.5 Commentary on the rising use of contactless payment and its impact on the industry
5.6 Analysis of Major Case Studies
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.1.1 Fixed Point-of-sale Systems
6.1.2 Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems
6.2 By End-User Industry
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 VeriFone, Inc.
7.1.2 Trust Payments Ltd
7.1.3 Ingenico (Worldline)
7.1.4 Worldline SA
7.1.6 Truevo Payments Ltd
7.1.7 Computer Hardware Design LTD (chdmalta)
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Malta POS Terminal Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Malta POS Terminal Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Malta POS Terminal Market?
The Malta POS Terminal Market is growing at a CAGR of 13.87% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Malta POS Terminal Market?
Trust Payments Ltd, Ingenico, Worldline, Verifone , Nayax are the major companies operating in Malta POS Terminal Market.
Malta POS Terminal Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Malta POS Terminal market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Malta POS Terminal analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.