Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Analysis
The main automation contractor (MAC) market in the oil and gas industry is expected to register a CAGR of 6.2% during the forecast period. In the oil and gas industry, the growing adoption of automation is fueling the demand for MAC services. In June 2022, ABB partnered with Think Gas, a city gas distribution company, for the automation of operations across Think Gas’ gas network, which includes many remote terminals spread across multiple locations. ABB created a system to integrate, monitor, and control day-to-day operations across the company, automating workflows to support operators in improving safety.
- With the increasing scope of automation in today's information-driven manufacturing environment, it is critical to handle more information processing close to the plant floor. Suitable production and business data should flow smoothly between production and business systems. MAC's responsibility is to design, engineer, and deliver all automation-related equipment and procedures and ensure that these systems are integrated safely and securely and supported by necessary services.
- Companies are being forced to coordinate their efforts due to the significant changes caused by the COVID-19 pandemic in the MAC supply chain and the growing movement to switch to cleaner, more dependable, and sustainable energy sources. Other significant market changes include the rising demand for smart storage, decentralized networks, intelligent automation, and rising disposable incomes in developing countries. An impressive growth rate in energy consumption, automotive, and industrial sectors was observed in 2021, post-pandemic economic recovery.
- Downstream, midstream, and upstream firms have integrated machine learning into their operations in many ways, which may continue to grow. The industry has been historically slow in adopting new ways of operating. However, it recognizes the immense potential of automation, AI, and ML.
- Moreover, large companies are focusing on MAC as a means of undertaking full project responsibility and delivering satisfactory results by facilitating proper management, automation/instrumentation, manufacture, selection of execution engineers, installation of equipment, commissioning equipment, and after-sales support as MAC implementation has demonstrated significant results in long-term industries.
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Industry Segmentation
The main automation contractor (MAC) is a contractor responsible for the instrumentation, control, information, and safety aspects of the project, working as a partner with the organization and managing the overall automation solution. The MAC primarily identifies all the automation activities with the development of an execution plan, obtaining the best resources, selecting the best technologies, implementing design and engineering, supplying the programs and hardware, and installing assemblies to achieve the complete automation solution efficiently and effectively.
The main automation contractor (MAC) market in the oil and gas industry is segmented by sector (upstream, midstream, downstream), project size (small and medium, large), and geography.
|Upstream (Offshore and Onshore)|
|By Project Size|
|Small and Medium (USD 5 million to USD 30 million)|
|Large (USD 31 million and Above)|
|Middle-East and Africa|
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market according to our research experts:
Upstream Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- The upstream sector of the oil and gas industry involves several drilling activities that must meet stringent government regulations and require intense planning to cut operational costs. Often, the industry deals with huge sets of spatial data to make several decisions. Several process automation tools and analytical engines are employed in the sector to harness the complete power of spatial data.
- Considerable exploration activity in the United Kingdom has led to crucial discoveries such as Glendronach, which is estimated to be the fifth-largest conventional natural gas reserve discovery on the UK Continental Shelf in the millennium.
- Following Glendronach’s success, companies such as Total Energies plan further exploration activities in the vicinity, which may be a significant source of demand for automation solutions from the upstream oil and gas sector.
- With the US Department of the Interior planning to allow offshore exploratory drilling in about 90% of the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) acreage, under the National Outer Continental Shelf Oil and Gas Leasing Program (National OCS Program) for 2019-2024, the sector is expected to open up new opportunities to the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Middle-East and Africa to Register Considerable Growth
- Middle-East and Africa boasts a robust oil and gas sector. In recent years, the sector has mirrored global trends and experienced both challenges and changes. Investment across the region has become more diverse, and new avenues are being explored, such as LNG and more complex offshore projects.
- Several investments are being made for oil and gas capacity expansions in the region. For instance, in November 2021, the Minister of Petroleum in Egypt, Tarek El Molla, announced that Egypt planned to increase its oil and gas production by up to USD 5 billion through new agreements during the next five years. The production of crude oil may be increased substantially to cover market needs, as Egypt is an importer of petroleum products and is trying to reduce the gap as much as possible by renewing and developing contracts.
- In September 2022, the United Arab Emirates announced that it is accelerating a plan to raise its oil production capacity as it attempts to cash in on its crude reserves before the world transitions to cleaner energy. Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (Adnoc), which pumps almost all the United Arab Emirates' oil, wants to produce 5 million barrels a day by 2025. The United Arab Emirates is also aiming to sell more oil and natural gas while fossil fuel prices stay high.
- In the last four decades, Saudi Arabia witnessed exponential growth in oil and gas construction projects. Major oil and gas development projects have been constructed in industrial cities, such as Jubail and Yanbu, including the construction of plants, oil and gas refineries, construction of pipelines, well oil setups for extraction, petrochemical manufacturing industries, and other utilities.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Industry Overview
The main automation contractor (MAC) market in the oil and gas industry is highly competitive due to the presence of multiple players in the market providing their solutions in domestic and international markets. The market appears to be moderately concentrated, with major players adopting key strategies such as product innovation, mergers, acquisitions, and partnerships to enhance their solution functionality and expand their geographic reach. Some of the major players in the market are Rockwell Automation Inc., Schneider Electric SE, Yokogawa Electric Corporation, and Honeywell International Inc.
- October 2022 - Yokogawa Electric Corporation announced that it had been selected by Shell PLC to be the main automation contractor (MAC) for the construction of its Holland Hydrogen I plant in the Dutch port of Rotterdam. The Holland Hydrogen I plant will produce renewable hydrogen by using electricity from an offshore wind farm. It is anticipated to become Europe's largest renewable hydrogen plant once operational in 2025.
- June 2022 - Honeywell and Anchorage Investments Ltd signed an MoU that allows Honeywell's latest industrial autonomous technologies to be placed in the cutting-edge Anchor Benitoite Petrochemicals Complex, to be built in Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone. The firms will initiate preliminary discussions under the terms of the MoU to designate Process Solutions (HPS) as the facility's Integrated Main Automation Contractor (IMAC).
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Leaders
Rockwell Automation Inc.
Schneider Electric SE
Yokogawa Electric Corporation
Honeywell International Inc.
Emerson Electric Co.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market News
- NOV 2021 - Emerson was chosen as the digital automation partner for the first HydroPRS facility in Teesside, North East England, by ReNew ELP, a UK-based advanced recycling firm. As the primary automation contractor, Emerson will be responsible for providing a complete automation and control solution to enable the safe and efficient running of the demanding manufacturing process with minimal operator interaction. In addition, 80,000 ton of plastic waste will be recycled into fossil-replacement hydrocarbon products.
- SEP 2021 - Schlumberger and NOV formed a partnership to increase the adoption of automated drilling technologies by oil and gas operators and drilling contractors. This partnership combines the rig automation interface with drilling automation to assist companies and drilling construction firms in improving their performance.
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Preference of Oil and Gas Companies for a MAC Approach to Avoid Project Management and Integration Complexities
4.3 Market Challenges
4.3.1 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market and Planned Spending Cuts from Major Oil and Gas Companies
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Traditional Approach vs. MAC Approach (Cost Savings Approach)
4.6 MAC Best Practices
4.7 Key Use Cases
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Sector
5.1.1 Upstream (Offshore and Onshore)
5.2 By Project Size
5.2.1 Small and Medium (USD 5 million to USD 30 million)
5.2.2 Large (USD 31 million and Above)
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Rockwell Automation Inc.
6.1.2 Schneider Electric SE
6.1.3 Yokogawa Electric Corporation
6.1.4 Honeywell International Inc.
6.1.5 Emerson Electric Co.
6.1.6 Siemens AG
6.1.7 ABB Ltd
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Oil & Gas Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry?
The Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry is growing at a CAGR of 6.2% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry?
Rockwell Automation Inc., Schneider Electric SE, Yokogawa Electric Corporation, Honeywell International Inc., Emerson Electric Co. are the major companies operating in Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry.
Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market in the Oil & Gas Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Main Automation Contractor (MAC) in the Oil & Gas Industry market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Main Automation Contractor (MAC) in the Oil & Gas Industry analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.