USA Li-Fi Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
USA Li-Fi Market Analysis
The US Li-Fi market is expected to register a CAGR of 67.5% over the forecast period, 2022 to 2027.
- The growing demand for high-speed networks and increasing demand for energy-efficient solutions are some of the major factors driving the adoption of Li-Fi technology in the United States. This growing number of smart devices and connected devices also resulted in the generation of a massive amount of data, which is pushing the existing Wi-Fi, 4G, and other networking technologies to their limit. Therefore, Li-Fi technology can help overcome these issues by providing high-speed connectivity, additional bandwidth, and higher security benefits.
- Also, Li-Fi has the capability to support big data, and technologies like augmented AI, ML, AR/VR, and IoT, among others. Li-Fi is a disruptive technology that is poised to impact many industries. The technology can unlock the potential of IoT, driving Industry 4.0 applications and leading to the upcoming light-as-a-service (LaaS) in the lighting industry.
- The growth and increase in the lifetime of LED lightening have led to the formation of new commercial prototypes in the lightening industry. In Li-Fi technology, visible light coming from LED bulbs acts as a carrier for data and can reach any devices which are illuminated by it. The flickering of the LED bulb creates a signal for the receiver device and thereby transmitting data. This wireless optical networking technology has the potential to transmit data up to a speed of 224 GB per second and is about 100 times faster than Wi-Fi. Li-Fi can be installed in any house, commercial building, aircraft, streets, and others. It has vast usage in the future and holds immense potential. Without any new arrangement, Li-Fi can be used from existing LED bulbs in houses. It can be installed in street lights as well and can provide internet to each and every person walking on the streets.
- One of the major benefits of Li-Fi technology using light waves instead of radio waves for transmitting data is the enhancement of data safety and security. Data stealing will be difficult as Li-Fi does not transmit through walls. Infinite bandwidth of light and limited radiation exposure is one of the reasons for selecting Li-Fi over Wi-Fi. The device has both in developed and developing nations. In developing nations where the government is focusing on improving communication and internet penetration, Li-fi has the potential for transmitting uncongested and noise-free signals, which Wi-Fi fails to provide.
- Also, Li-Fi is much more cost- and environment-friendly compared to Wi-Fi. As internet connectivity is becoming a basic necessity in this century and people are looking for hassle-free fast internet, the spread of Li-Fi in the United States is expected to grow steadily in the future.
- In the United States, the Li-Fi market will grow mostly in small to medium-size homes, making it smart and more efficient. The local population in the United States has a high adaptable city which is even higher than the world average. Any new technology is considered and applied in the United States if found to be useful. The cost of installing Li-Fi will be higher than a Wi-Fi modem, and it can be installed with any current internet plan. Instead of a Wi-Fi router, customers can install Li-Fi in their houses through LED bulbs and tubes, which not just save energy but also provides high-speed data with security.
- However, physical barriers, such as walls and doors, limit the operational scope of a Li-Fi-enabled LED light. Thus, the data transmitted by a Li-Fi product remains confined within a close-spaced because light cannot penetrate opaque objects and has a shorter range.
USA Li-Fi Industry Segments
Li-Fi is a wireless communication technology that uses the visible light spectrum or infrared spectrum for high-speed data communication. It offers significantly greater security and safety and ultra-fast data transmission rates to deliver unprecedented low latency and reliability.
Li-Fi is a form of green communication method which salvages the existing lighting infrastructure for communication. The data is transmitted by varying the light intensity that is invisible to the human eye.
|Railways and Airlines|
USA Li-Fi Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the USA Li-Fi Market according to our research experts:
Indoor Applications are Expected to Register a Significant Growth
Smart buildings have begun adapting to accommodate their residents to improve the resident's comfort and user experience by knowing the locations of each occupant and then providing location-based services, such as logistics, intelligent car parking, health monitoring, and shopping assistance. In addition to indoor shopping assistance, location-based services are also playing a crucial role in the reduction of building energy costs. The primary idea of the Li-Fi technology is to utilize the visible light from an LED light bulb in order to transmit high-speed data to a photodetector, which is connected to a smartphone or tablet.
Currently, the more sensitive GPS, with the help of various satellites, is helping in positioning. However, its accuracy is not good enough to provide precise locations within a building, as its error range is quite larger than what is required inside an indoor space. Some other indoor positioning systems also exist that work like the GPS, like Locata, which sends beacon signals that can cover large areas and penetrate walls, and Nokia, which uses beacons that send out Bluetooth signals that are detectable by any Bluetooth-enabled device but cover only a few square meters.
The rising growth in the usage of LED lamps in buildings for lighting also provides enormous opportunities for Li-Fi-based applications. As Li-Fi primarily combines the functions of high-speed wireless data communication and indoor lighting infrastructure, it is very cost-effective to be utilized in smart buildings.
As long as they are in close proximity to a nearby LED lamp, smart building residents can easily get access to internet service without extra hardware cost (such as a Wi-Fi router or cables). When smart building residents walk inside a smart building, the indoor LED lighting will offer free wireless internet connection service.
There is a very high scope for wireless communication in the medical field, as devices such as infusion pumps, defibrillators, monitors, lung ventilators, and anesthesia machines utilize Wi-Fi. However, there is a prevalent issue of frequency-overlapping while using Wi-Fi for applications, such as MRI scanning, which can be overcome by implementing Li-Fi.
Li-Fi can be utilized to get internet access to monitor the patients instead of other radio waves and causing overlapping of signals. There is probation on the use of mobiles in a few areas in the hospitals due to the radio waves overlapping problems, which can be further avoided by implementing light fidelity in the hospitality system.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The United States is Expected to Witness Significant Growth Opportunities
The rapid advancements in information technology, such as wireless sensor networks, the Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data, and smartphones, have significantly resulted in the development of smart buildings in the region. The penetration of smart homes in the region is further expected to rise owing to the advancement in multiple technologies, thereby offering several opportunities for Li-Fi in the region.
Moreover, according to the US Green Building Council, buildings contribute a significant portion of energy consumption in the country. It was reported that buildings account for 70% of electricity load and 39% of carbon oxide emissions. Given an occupant's accurate indoor location, a building management system (BMS) is capable of offering highly-efficient heating, cooling, ventilation, and lighting service to the occupant.
High illumination, long life, and low power consumption have led to the implementation of LED as a primary component in Li-Fi systems across the United States. The government's promotions for smart LED bulbs in developed countries, such as the United States and Canada, are expected to provide a massive infrastructure base to the Visible Light Communication (VLC) system providers.
Also, the increasing applications of indoor location-based services embedded with light fixtures in the retail shops and hotels in the region are also anticipated to be one of the factors driving the growth of the market in the region. Various companies, such as GE Lightings and ByteLight Inc., have been deploying VLC installations in supermarkets, which, in turn, is helping retailers to tie customers' shopping history by tracking their location details.
Additionally, the utilization of Li-Fi in marine and subsea applications is also manifold. For instance, the US Navy presently uses a slow and antiquated system for underwater communication that does not quite jibe well with the poor acoustics that lies underwater. As a result, the US Navy is developing cutting-edge communication technology using Li-Fi to counter the problem of subsea communication. Further, for use in petrochemical plants or on airplanes, Li-Fi emissions are considered to be a great solution since Wi-Fi tends to interfere with onboard electronics.
The future applications that the US government has in mind for Li-Fi could serve a much bigger purpose than just for underwater, airplane, and chemical plant usage. Presently, the Federal Communications Commission has explained cautions of crowding in wireless communications since the radio frequency spectrum is beginning to get full.
USA Li-Fi Market Competitor Analysis
The vendor list is not provided as a part of the scope, but some of the major players operating in the industry include Panasonic, Philips, Renesas, Siemens, pureLifi, etc. These players do not have their headquarters in the United States but are well-positioned with multiple offices in the United States. The major players are increasingly seeking market expansion through various strategic mergers and acquisitions, innovation, and increasing investments in research and development.
- April 2021: pureLiFi announced a new deal to supply the US Army with Kitefin, a next-generation optical wireless communication system using Li-Fi for secure data transmission without radio frequencies. By harnessing the light spectrum, Li-Fi can unleash more reliable wireless communications with unparalleled security compared to conventional technologies, such as cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth.
USA Li-Fi Market Top Players
Koninklijke Philips NV
Renesas Electronics Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
USA Li-Fi Market Recent Developments
- March 2021 - Getac featured Li-Fi technology offered by pureLiFi in a new virtual show, ‘Getac Manufacturing Virtual Exhibition,’ to present high-reliability hardware solutions for process optimization in the manufacturing industry.
USA Li-Fi Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Huge Demand for Specialized Internet Technologies
5.1.2 Low Energy Consumption
5.1.3 Faster and Safe Data Transfer
5.1.4 High Bandwidth
5.1.5 Vast Applications
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Limited Range
5.2.2 Cannot Substitute Wi-Fi Completely
5.2.3 Scattered Internet Penetration
5.2.4 Transmission can be Easily Disrupted
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.3.1 Smart Homes and Smart Cities
5.3.2 Offices Requiring High Speed Internet
5.3.3 Railways and Airlines
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1.1 New York
6.1.2 Los Angeles
6.1.7 Other Cities
6.2 Estimated Usage
6.2.2 Corporate Office
6.2.3 Railways and Airlines
6.2.5 Retail Stores/Supermarkets/Hypermarkets
6.3.4 Other Types
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. RECENT DEVELOPMENTS AND TRENDS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
USA Li-Fi Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The USA Li-Fi Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of USA Li-Fi Market?
The USA Li-Fi Market is growing at a CAGR of 67.5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in USA Li-Fi Market?
Panasonic Corporation, Koninklijke Philips NV, Renesas Electronics Corporation, Siemens AG, PureLiFi are the major companies operating in USA Li-Fi Market.
USA Li-Fi Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the USA Li-Fi sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The USA Li-Fi research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the USA Li-Fi report PDF.