Japan Small Signal Transistor Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Japan Small Signal Transistor Market Analysis
Japan's small signal transistor market is valued at USD 202.52 million and is expected to register at a CAGR of 2.97% during the forecast period to become USD 234.43 million.
- The growing adoption of smart electronic devices across the country is a critical reason for the growth of Japan's Small Signal Transistor market. According to the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) (Japan), the total production value of the electronics industry in Japan reached JPY 11 trillion (USD 100.1 billion) in 2022. The sector contains consumer electronic equipment, industrial electronic equipment, and electronic components and devices.
- A transistor performs as a switch or gate for electronic signals, opening and closing an electronic gate multiple times per second. It assures the circuit is on if the current is floating and off if it isn't. These are used in complex switching circuits that comprise all modern telecommunications systems.
- Increasing electronic industries production across the country further creates demand for the signal transistor in the market. According to Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA), in 2022, the production value of electronic devices in Japan rose by 2.5% compared to the previous year. As a result, the production value of electronic devices reached a value of about JPY 4 trillion (USD 36.4 billion).
- With the advent of IoT, various end-user industries are increasingly adopting the advanced solution to enhance their operations. For instance, in March 2022, TDK Corporation announced that it had decided to construct "the Inakura Factory West Site" in Nikaho City, Japan. The latest factory will be a new production facility for electronic components. Construction of the first stage began in April 2022. Due to digital transformation (DX), IoT, AI, and other technologies, and Energy transformation (EX), including through the expanded use of renewable energy, the importance of electronic components and devices is gaining exceptional heights and further propelling the studied market growth.
- Furthermore, small-signal transistors are mainly used to enhance small signals, such as rare volts, and only when mill amperes of current are used. Modern electronic devices make use of these transistors. During the forecast period, a surge in demand for the manufacturing of consumer electronics and smartphones is analyzed to boost demand for these transistors.
- For instance, in February 2023, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC), a key iPhone maker for Apple, is planning to construct a second chip factory in Japan to manufacture 5-nanometre and 10-nanometre chipsets in the second half of the decade. This action is being seen to help with the revival of Japan's advanced semiconductor manufacturing, which it sees as a critical requirement for future economic growth driven by new digital technologies. Such expansion in the manufacturing industries may further drive market growth.
- Moreover, the biggest challenge for the market players is the rising trend of miniaturization of electronic products and scaling down the transistors' size while maintaining the components' high-performance efficiency. New technology implementation in manufacturing will require achieving all functionality, such as x-ray or electron beam technology. Evolved fabrication plants need to be set up, which will cost huge for the manufacturers with enormous cost association.
- COVID-19 negatively affected the transistor market by decreasing the total consumption of electronic devices. Due to supply chain disturbances, the pandemic severely affected the countries manufacturing sector. It affected various end users of transistors by downsizing their businesses. But metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor's (MOSFET) market growth was noticeable after the pandemic, with a massive recovery due to increased demand for computing and consumer electronics, contributing nearly 37% of silicon MOSFET revenues.
Japan Small Signal Transistor Market Trends
Significant Growth in the Consumer Electronics Sector
- Transistors are used throughout consumer electronics applications such as reverse battery protection, switching power from different sources like an AC adapter and batteries, and turning offloads like backlighting when unnecessary.
- According to Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA), more than 20 million car speakers were shipped domestically in Japan in 2022, which represented a decrease of 4.3% compared to the previous year. Stereo headphones followed with a domestic shipment volume of about 5.1 million units.
- The country's consumer electronics market is dominated by established and well-known companies, including Apple, Samsung, Huawei, and Sony. These companies hold a dominant position in various product categories, such as smartphones, televisions, home appliances, and gaming consoles. According to Apple, the net sales of Apple Inc. in the Japanese market amounted to about USD 26 billion in fiscal year 2022, a slight decrease of more than USD 2 billion compared to the previous fiscal year.
- Furthermore, the smartphone is the significant consumer of semiconductors in this segment. The increasing usage of smartphones is further anticipated to drive the country's market. For Instance, according to JEITA, the monthly domestic shipment volumes of mobile phones in Japan amounted to about 1.11 million units in December 2022. This was a slight decrease of around 200 thousand units compared to the same month of the previous year.
- In addition, in April 2022, Sony confirmed the official launch of the Xperia 1 IV's smartphone series in its home country, Japan. Further, Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation recently announced the expansion of the production capacity for power appliances by constructing a 300-millimeter wafer fabrication building at Kaga Toshiba Electronics Corporation in Japan. Such developments may further drive the studied market growth in the country.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Demand for Electric Vehicles
- Small signal transistors have extensive use in modern vehicles. These devices turn on all types of devices, such as fuel injectors, ignition coils, VCT managing solenoids, purge control solenoids, HVAC doors, transmission solenoids, lights, etc.
- Further, in May 2022, Japanese automaker Subaru announced that it would build a new electric vehicle plant in Japan, aiming to bring the factory online sometime after 2027. The plant would be the first electric vehicle factory built from scratch in Japan. In addition to the structure of the latest facility, the existing plant will be retooled to produce a certain number of EVs, with a total investment expected to be around JPY 250 billion (USD 2.2775 billion).
- The increase in electric vehicle demand is also boosting transistor market growth. Various types of transistors are used in the manufacturing process of EVs. According to AIRIA (Japan), as of March 2022, the number of battery-electric passenger cars arrived at around 138.33 thousand, increasing from approximately 125.86 thousand in the previous year.
- In addition, in April 2022, Toyota Motor Corp rolled out its first mass-produced battery electric motorcar in Japan. The new bZ4X delivers superior power efficiency performance (128 Wh/km*2) and adequate cruising range for practical driving (559 km*2). In addition, development was conducted to achieve a world-leading battery capacity retention ratio (90% after ten years*3) in search of a battery electric vehicle (BEV) that can be used for an extended period with peace of mind.
- Furthermore, the growing number of fully-autonomous automobiles is heavily influenced by technological advancements, consumer willingness to accept fully-automated vehicles, pricing, suppliers, and original equipment manufacturers' (OEMs) capacity to address considerable concerns about vehicle safety. According to these factors, the automotive industries always concentrate on enhancing technologies, negotiating raw material prices, and combining cars with reliable technology. Further, in 2022, Toyota Motor Corporation sold approximately 580.4 thousand electric vehicles in Japan.
- Additionally, in July 2022, Chinese auto giant BYD decided to sell electric vehicles in Japan in 2023, hoping demand would grow. BYD Japan, which also sold electric buses in the country, announced the establishment of a new company to handle EV sales. Further, three EV models will be launched successively from January in Japan. Such expansion in electric vehicles across the country may further propel the studied market growth.
Japan Small Signal Transistor Industry Overview
The Japan small signal transistors market is favorably competitive. The semiconductor industry is undergoing a specialization period. Many players in this market are innovating new products and developments in the studied market. This has made the sector highly competitive and deeply collaborative.
In December 2022, Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation announced plans to build a new back-end manufacturing facility for power semiconductors at its Himeji Operations Semiconductor in Hyogo Prefecture, western Japan. Construction will begin in June 2024, with production beginning in spring 2025. In fiscal 2022, the project will double Toshiba's automotive power semiconductor production capacity in Himeji.
In May 2022, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation released a 50W silicon radio-frequency(RF) high-power metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) module for commercial two-way radio high-frequency power amplifiers. The model, which has an industry-leading1 50W power output in the 763MHz to 870MHz band and a high total efficiency2 of 40%, is expected to help extend the radio communication range while decreasing power consumption.
Japan Small Signal Transistor Market Leaders
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Fuji Electric Co., Ltd
Rochester Electronics, LLC
NXP Semiconductors N.V
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Japan Small Signal Transistor Market News
- March 2023: Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation established a 650V discrete insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) 'GT30J65MRB' for the power factor correction (PFC) circuits of air conditioners and large power stores for industrial tools.
- April 2022: Denso, a significant auto component supplier, announced its collaboration with United Semiconductor Japan Co. (USJC), a subsidiary of international semiconductor foundry United Microelectronics Corporation, to produce power semiconductors at USJC's 300mm fab to fill the growing demand in the automotive market. Further, an insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) line will be installed at USJC's wafer fab, the first in Japan to deliver IGBTs on 300mm wafers.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increased Use of Electronics in the Industrial Sector
5.1.2 Growing Demand for IoT
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Adoption of Power Transistors is Analyzed Pose a Challenge to the Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Device Type
6.1.1 Bipolar Small Signal Transistors
6.1.2 Field Effect Transistors
6.1.3 RF & Microwave Small Signal Transistors
6.2 By Application
6.2.1 Automotive and Charging Infrastructure
6.2.3 Consumer Electronics & Appliances
6.2.5 Other Applications
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
7.1.2 Toshiba Corporation
7.1.3 Fuji Electric Co., Ltd
7.1.4 Rochester Electronics, LLC
7.1.5 NXP Semiconductors N.V
7.1.6 Littelfuse, Inc
7.1.7 Microchip Technology Inc.
7.1.8 Semiconductor Components Industries, LLC(Onsemi)
7.1.9 ST Microelectronics
7.1.10 Renesas Electronics Corporation
7.1.11 Infenion Technologies AG
7.1.12 Diodes Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the current Japan Small Signal Transistor Market size?
The Japan Small Signal Transistor Market is projected to register a CAGR of 2.97% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Japan Small Signal Transistor Market?
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, Fuji Electric Co., Ltd, Rochester Electronics, LLC and NXP Semiconductors N.V are the major companies operating in the Japan Small Signal Transistor Market.
Japan Small Signal Transistor Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Japan Small Signal Transistor market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Japan Small Signal Transistor analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028) and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.