|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The industrial drums market is expected to register a CAGR of 8.4% over the forecast period 2021-2026.
With the outbreak of COVID-19, oil and gas and petrochemical industries have been severely affected due to a drastic decrease in product demand, falling prices, and storage shortages. Oil prices decreased by 50% since January 2020, with the US markets observing a record low. The International Energy Agency reported that oil demand decreased by 29 million barrels per day during the month of April 2020, and expected to decrease by 23.1 million barrels per day by Q2 of this year. Such factors affected the demand for industrial drums.
- Industrial drums allow higher operational efficiency and effectiveness in shipping bulk quantities of commodities in liquid form. Industrial drums offer cost-effective transport packaging solutions for the shipment of both hazardous and non-hazardous materials, like chemicals, wines, fruit juices, etc.
- The adoption of industrial drums among the packaging industry is increasing where the packaging manufacturers are focusing on recycling, downgauging, optimizing pack size, and safety. Industrial drums offer all these features to many corporations and companies to effectively maintain sustainability initiatives. According to the Industrial Steel Drum Institute (ISDI), steel drums provide safe transport for approximately 50 million metric ton of material worldwide every year.
- Further, the increasing demand from the retail sector is also boosting the demand for fiber drums due to their properties, such as lighter weight that saves shipping cost, resistance to corrosion, and recyclability. According to the National Retail Federation, in 2020, the cost of retail items returned in the United States accounted for USD 428 billion.
- Moreover, rigid industrial packaging has gained significant traction as it protects a wide range of sensitive products by preventing unwanted spillage and leakage of the product. According to the IfBB, the projected bioplastic production capacity in 2023 within rigid packaging will be 2239 thousand metric ton.
- However, slow automation technological adoption among industrial drum manufacturers is expected to hold back the advance orders from various end-user industries. Also, the drum manufacturer struggles to meet the demand variability due to slow supply chain responses.
Scope of the Report
Industrial drums are used for storing materials and transporting those materials for the delivery of mass freight. The study covers various material types of drums used across different end-user industries among geographies. The study also covers the impact of COVID 19 in the industrial drums industry.
|Food and Beverage|
|Chemicals and Fertilizers|
|Petroleum and Lubricants|
|Other End user Industries ( Building and Construction, Paints, Inks, and Dyes)|
|Middle East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Steel Drums Segment is Expected to Hold Major Market Share
- Steel drum's excellent mechanical properties, such as high strength, good protective properties, like gas barrier properties, and excellent processing performance, are expected to be positive factors in terms of usage. Moreover, it can be rolled into a various thickness of the sheet, foil, sheet stamping, rolling, stretching, and welding made of different shapes and sizes of the packaging container.
- Steel drums are used as packaging solutions for transporting and storing hazardous or dangerous goods. The US Department of Transportation already indicated that steel drums are the safest containers ( also, insurance rates for steel drum shipments are the lowest). That's why chemical industry holds a significant share of the steel drum market for safe packaging solutions.
- According to the Ministry of Economy, Trade & Industry (Japan) 2020 Report, the inventory volume of drum containers made from steel in Japan rise by 11.2% from 2920 metric tons in 2013 to 3249 metric tons in 2019.
- The companies are significantly innovating and developing new products to cater the requirement of the market by expanding their manufacturing capabilities. For instance, in 2019, Balmer Lawrie Co. opened its new plant for steel drum manufacturing in Vadodra, India. The plant primarily focuses on producing 210L M.S. drums and also 235L capacity as well. The capacity of the plant is 1 million drums per year (approx.).
- Recently, Idaho steel and Kiremko partnered to sell the largest industrial drum dryer. The new drum is eight feet in diameter, 21 feet long, and weighs around 100,000 pounds. The previous largest one made by Idaho Steel was six feet by 20 feet. Also, the Nigerian Pacegate steel drum increased its production capacity to 5,000 steel drums per day, where each steel drum has a capacity of 210 liter.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific is Expected to Witness a Significant Growth Rate
- The rapidly evolving manufacturing sector in the Asia-Pacific region is expected to increase the usage of industrial drums in the region. Global manufacturers are continuing to shift their manufacturing bases to emerging economies, like China, India, and Indonesia.
- China has shown optimistic growth in the production of fiber drums. In terms of value, it towers over other countries such as Malaysia and Singapore. The rising concerns for sophisticated packaging solutions towards products by local as well as renowned players have translated into better quality of fiber drums. Some of the key factors affecting the fiber drums market are the growing retail sector and the increasing preference for lightweight bulk containers such as recyclable fiber drums. The main advantage of using fiber drums is that they are 100% recyclable. Therefore, the outlook for the fiber drums market is expected to be positive in the Asia Pacific region.
- The region is witnessing growth in terms of exports in vegetable oil and wines, which is also anticipated to further drive the growth of the industrial drums market in the region. Oil exporters in Asian countries prefer industrial drums over other bulk packaging products. India and China are known for their large-scale palm-oil exports, which may create significant demand for industrial drums in the region.
- Countries in Asia Pacific, such as China and India, with strong agricultural produce, are improving their export volume by implementing effective means of storage, transport, and packaging solutions. China has been world's biggest exporter of goods since 2009. The exports of China in 2019 accounted for a revenue of USD 2,499.03 billion (source: WTO).
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The industrial drums market remains quite fragmented, due to the existence of numerous international, regional, and local vendors. With the growing usage of industrial drums in various end-user industries, many companies are entering the competition, making it more intensified. Some of key players of the market include Greif Inc., SCHÜTZ GmbH & Co. KGaA, and Mauser Group BV.
- May 2020 - SCHÜTZ GmbH & Co. KGaA Schütz added the new Ecobulk MX 560 to its extensive product range. This new IBC has a lower height than standard models and a nominal volume of 560 liters or 150 gallons, making it ideal for applications where smaller containers are an advantage, but where maximum performance and the highest quality are also decisive.
- February 2020 - Greif announced the expansion of its plastics operations on the West Coast of the United States. The company is installing a plastic drum blow molding machine in its Merced, CA facility and is in an operational position.
- April 2021 - Mauser Packaging Solutions acquired the Global Tank Srl through Joint Venture NCG-Maider in Italy. Via this acquisition, Mauser Packaging Solutions will further extend the offering of industrial packaging products (Steel & Plastic drums) and services in the Italian market while strengthening the company’s position as one of the prominent market players in reconditioning.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Increasing Demand for Industrial Drum from the Chemical & Fertilizers, and Petroleum Lubricant Industries
4.5.2 Growing Focus on Strengthening Supply Chain Capabilities among End Users
4.6 Market Challenges
4.6.1 Environmental Degradation
4.6.2 Fluctuating Raw Material Price
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Steel Drums
5.1.2 Plastic Drums
5.1.3 Fiber Drums
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Food and Beverage
5.2.2 Chemicals and Fertilizers
5.2.4 Petroleum and Lubricants
5.2.5 Other End user Industries ( Building and Construction, Paints, Inks, and Dyes)
5.3.1 North America
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Greif Inc.
6.1.2 Sicagen India Ltd
6.1.3 Balmer Lawrie & Co. Ltd
6.1.4 Time Technoplast Ltd
6.1.5 SCHÜTZ GmbH & Co. KGaA
6.1.6 Mauser Group NV
6.1.7 Industrial Container Services LLC
6.1.8 TPL Plastech Ltd
6.1.9 Eagle Manufacturing Company
6.1.10 U.S. Coexcell Inc.
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Industrial Drums Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Industrial Drums Market?
The Industrial Drums Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Industrial Drums Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Industrial Drums Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Industrial Drums Market?
Greif Inc., Mauser Group NV , SCHÜTZ GmbH & Co. KGaA, Industrial Container Services LLC, Time Technoplast Ltd are the major companies operating in Industrial Drums Market.