India Food Sweetener Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
India Food Sweetener Market Analysis
The India Food Sweetener Market size is expected to grow from USD 3.11 billion in 2023 to USD 3.61 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 3.01% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Food and beverage players have been launching low/no sweeteners to cater to the demand for low-sugar products as health and immune system concerns increased. With the growing presence of various sweetener-infused products on retail shelves in India, many players are entering the country.
- For instance, the Malaysia-based business, PureCircle, a stevia supplier, has collaborated with top food and beverage companies to introduce stevia-based variants of well-known food and beverages, including PepsiCo's 7Up and Tropicana, Coca-Cola's Maaza Gold, and Danone's Yakult. The company aims to grow its Starleaf variety in India and treble farm revenues by India's Prime Minister's vision for 2022.
- The company is now working with Dabur, Frooti, and Haldiram to help create stevia-based variants of their famous food and beverage products. The company also supplies stevia used in the production of Zydus's stevia-based sweetener, Sugar-Free Green. Stevia has also found its way into new products by emerging companies. For example, in 2021, Beyond Water launched its product line of water enhancers (electrolyte mixers, cocktail mixers, and vitamin mixers) sweetened with natural sweeteners.
- Furthermore, there has been an increase in demand for bulk sweeteners like fructose across the country. Fructose, commonly known as fruit sugar, has multiple functions in food and beverage applications, including sweetness, humectant, color, flavor enhancement or development, freezing point depression, and osmotic stability.
- Critical applications of fructose include flavored or enhanced water, low-calorie products, dry beverage mixes, carbonated beverages, breakfast cereals, baked goods, yogurt, fruit packs, confectionery, and other food applications.
- Cyclamate is another type of natural sweetener widely utilized in confections, baking, soft drinks, desserts, salad dressings, and preserves in India due to its benefits, such as being 30 times sweeter than sugar and being a calorie-free sweetener. The product is mixed with water before consumption, helps to increase hydration, and acts as an enrichment of nutrients lost during water processing. Such innovations have been driving the Indian food sweetener market.
India Food Sweetener Market Trends
Surge in Diabetic Population Drives Natural and Zero Calorie Sweeteners such as Stevia.
- The growing preference for low-sugar or no-calorie diets due to the increasing prevalence of obesity and diabetes drives the demand for natural sweeteners globally. According to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) Diabetes Atlas, 10th Edition, in India, approximately 74.194 million individuals aged between 20 and 79 had diabetes in 2021; diabetes also caused 0.647 million deaths that year. The total number of people with diabetes is projected to rise to 92.973 million by 2030 and 124.874 million by 2045.
- According to the IDF, the nations having the highest population of adults with diabetic patients aged between 20 to 79 include China which is followed then by India (second highest ranking) in 2021.
- The diabetic population statistics are expected to positively affect the food sweetener market in India during the forecast period. As the occurrence of diabetes and obesity is increasing, consumers are taking appropriate measures to maintain a healthy lifestyle and, thus, are looking for zero-calorie natural sweeteners to maintain their blood sugar levels. As a result, the demand for stevia is estimated to increase as it is aligned with the requirements of the consumers. Therefore, the demand for low-calorie sweeteners in food and beverages has increased over the last few years.
- As a result, organic stevia extracts are being demanded greatly in the market since they are plant-based and contain zero sugar, carb, calorie, glycemic index, etc. For instance, Arboreal Stevia, an Indian company under the brand ArboPURE, offers a range of natural stevia extracts that are extracted directly from stevia leaf using an organic process. The different grades of stevia extracts are available in Reb A and Reb M series, suitable for multiple applications as sweeteners and flavors.
- Considering these factors, such as demand for clean-label ingredients and low-calorie food sweeteners are driving the natural and zero-calorie sweeteners market in this country due to the rising health consciousness.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Fastest Growing Sweetener Segment: Stevia
- Stevia is a 100% natural and zero-calorie sweetener. The growing awareness about the health benefits of stevia over sugar has increased its demand. Other factors influencing the stevia market are lifestyle changes, government initiatives to reduce sugar intake, and the need to combat health problems like obesity and diabetes.
- With the growing presence of various stevia-infused products on retail shelves in India, many players are entering the country. For instance, PureCircle, a stevia supplier, invested INR 1,200 crore ( approx. USD 145 million) in the country over five years. The company is now working with Dabur, Frooti, and Haldiram to help them create stevia-based variants of their popular food and beverage products. The company also supplies stevia used in the production of Zydus's stevia-based sweetener, Sugar-Free Green.
- Stevia is used in convenience foods, baked foods, sugar confectionery, and beverages. Beverages account for the majority share of the market. Thus, stevia is estimated to be the fastest-growing sweetener segment over the forecast period. Furthermore, Indian farmers opt out of growing stevia plants due to higher input costs and the absence of standard crop cultivation practices.
- Additionally, there needs to be traditional know-how for stevia plantations in the country. To help these farmers, the National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) announced a 30% subsidy on the cost of production as of 2021. This initiative is expected to increase the amount of stevia available for use, thereby driving the growth of the Indian stevia market in the coming years. Therefore, these factors significantly drive the market for Stevia in the food sweetener industry in the country, as Stevia serves as a viable substitute for sugar.
India Food Sweetener Industry Overview
The market is highly fragmented, with many Indian players trying to gain a competitive advantage using various corporate strategies, like innovation, expansions, and other strategies. International players, such as International Flavors & Fragrances Inc., Cargill Incorporated, Kerry Group plc., The Archer-Daniels-Midland Company, and Tate & Lyle, dominate the sugar substitute market.
Due to the experience and expertise of these leading companies in the Indian food sweetener market, these top players focus on developing new products. Further, economies of scale and high brand loyalty among the clients give these companies an upper edge. Further expansion of product portfolio within all categories of sweeteners has been helping the players in the market to enhance their positions.
India Food Sweetener Market Leaders
Tate & Lyle
Archer Daniels Midland Company
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.
Kerry Group plc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
India Food Sweetener Market News
- November 2022: Kesar Enterprises Ltd announced the commencement of the co-generation plant and crushing season for the 2022-23 sugar division at Baheri in Uttar Pradesh.
- November 2022: Lakanto, a leading global brand from Saraya Japan, launched a Monkfruit-based sweetener for Indian consumers. The company manufactures natural sweeteners, and in India, the brand is part of Saraya-Mystair Hygiene.
- August 2022: Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Guwahati developed a fermentation process that uses ultrasonic to transform bagasse, the waste product of sugarcane crushing, into the safe sugar substitute "Xylitol." The new strategy, according to officials, overcomes the operational limitations of chemical synthesis processes and the time lags brought on by conventional fermentation.
- March 2022: Cargill launched their stevia products using the EverSweet + ClearFlo technology. This brand-new sweetener solution, which mixes a natural flavor with Cargill's stevia sweetener, has a number of benefits, such as flavor modification, quicker dispersion, and better solubility and stability in formulations.
- February 2021: Dupont's Nutrition & Biosciences merged with International Flavors & Fragrances Inc., a company that offers food additives, including sweeteners, in the Indian market. The combined company could continue to operate under the name IFF. The complementary portfolio gives the company leadership positions in taste, texture, scent, nutrition, enzymes, cultures, soy proteins, and probiotics.
India Food Sweetener Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Deifnation
1.2 Scope of the Market
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Surge in Diabetic Population drives sweetener market
4.1.2 Growing demand for natural sweetener-infused beverage products
4.2.1 Stringent government regulations on food product claims
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.3.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 Product Type
5.1.2 Starch Sweeteners and Sugar Alcohols
22.214.171.124 High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
126.96.36.199 Other Starch Sweeteners and Sugar Alcohols
5.1.3 High Intensity Sweeteners (HIS)
188.8.131.52 Other High Intensity Sweeteners
5.2.3 Soups, Sauces and Dressings
5.2.6 Other Applications
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Tate & Lyle
6.3.2 Cargill Incorporated
6.3.3 Archer Daniels Midland Company
6.3.4 International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.
6.3.5 Ingredion Incorporated
6.3.6 Ajinomoto Co., Inc.
6.3.7 Kesar Enterprises Limited
6.3.8 GLG Life Tech Corporation
6.3.9 The Agrana Group
6.3.10 Kerry Group plc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
India Food Sweetener Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The India Food Sweetener Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of India Food Sweetener Market?
The India Food Sweetener Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.01% over the next 5 years.
What is India Food Sweetener Market size in 2028?
The India Food Sweetener Market is valued at 3 Billion USD in 2028.
Who are the key players in India Food Sweetener Market?
Tate & Lyle, Cargill Incorporated, Archer Daniels Midland Company, International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. , Kerry Group plc. are the major companies operating in India Food Sweetener Market.
India Food Sweetener Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 India Food Sweetener market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. India Food Sweetener analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.