India Cane Sugar Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
India Cane Sugar Market Analysis
India's cane sugar market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.2% during forecasted period.
- Despite the Covid-19 restrictions and unfavorable conditions in the supply chain, the Indian cane sugar market was growing owing to the increasing demand for sugar in the country. According to the Indian Sugar Mills Association, 365 lakh tonnes of sugar will be produced during the 2022–2023 sugar season. According to Ministry of Consumer Affairs data from that year, 35 LMT of sugar was diverted for ethanol production in 2022, and sugar mills produced 359 LMT of sugar.
- Sugarcane is majorly produced in nine states of India, namely, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu. The sugar industry is an important agro-based industry that impacts the rural livelihood of many people. Demand for cane and organic sugar is increasing in India because of their extensive use in different application sectors like food and beverages, bakery, confectionery, and many more.
- Consumers in India use sugar on a daily basis in their teas, coffees, fruit juices, and medicines as well. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are very famous in India, and brown sugar or organic cane sugar is a trend in India. Additionally, the demand for natural and chemical-free ingredients is growing in India. Therefore, the demand for organic sugar is increasing. However, sugar adulteration and the use of chemicals for production can pose a restraint for the market
India Cane Sugar Industry Segmentation
Cane sugar is the sugar obtained from the processing of sugarcane. India's cane sugar market is segmented into categories, forms, and applications. Based on category, the market is segmented into organic and conventional. Based on form, the market is segmented into crystallized sugar and liquid syrup. Based on application, the market is segmented into bakery and confectionery, dairy, beverages, and other applications. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on value (in USD Million).
|Bakery and Confectionery|
India Cane Sugar Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the India Cane Sugar Market according to our research experts:
Rise in Exports and Imports of Organic Cane Sugar in India
- Organic cane sugar witnessed a rise in exports and imports in India. Organic sugar has some attributes, including eco-friendliness, nutritional benefits, texture, and rich sugarcane flavor over regular sugar. Organic sugar is made by natural processing and does not involve any use of chemicals. Organic sugars are rich in calcium, carbohydrates, and other minerals. They are used in food and beverages in large amounts. As organic cane sugar retains all the nutrients found in its original state, it has an aroma of special molasses that attracts consumers.
- Due to the increase in demand for organic and naturally derived products, demand for organic sugar is also growing in India. Additionally, India is known for its ayurvedic medicines, and organic sugar is used in most of the ayurvedic medicines and potions.
- According to the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) data, India exported 21932.591 MT of organic sugar in 2021-2022. Organic sugar manufacturers like Jaini International Export Private Limited, Vijayawada Chemicals, and Shree Ambika Sugars Limited, among others, export organic sugar to many countries from India.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
India is the Largest Sugar Cane Producing Country
- India is one of the largest agricultural countries, making it an ideal market to expand due to the growing sugar consumption in the country. With new regulatory policies and amendments in the older ones, there is a greater chance for farmers and millers to increase their efforts toward cane sugar production and processing.
- India is the largest producer of sugar in the world and is also the largest consumer. Additionally, employment is created in a number of ancillary activities related to transportation, trade servicing of machinery, and supply of agriculture inputs.
- According to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs data from October 2022, 5000 lakh metric tons of sugar cane were produced in India, of which sugar mills crushed about 3574 LMT of sugarcane to produce about 394 LMT of sugar (sucrose). India is the world's largest producer and consumer of sugar; hence over the medium term, demand is anticipated to rise.
India Cane Sugar Industry Overview
The Indian cane sugar market is fragmented, owing to the presence of large regional and domestic players. The companies are emphasizing mergers, expansions, acquisitions, and partnerships, along with new product developments, as strategic approaches to boost their brand presence among consumers. The major players in the market studied are DCM Shriram Consolidated Limited, Triveni Engineering & Industries Ltd (Ganga Sugar Corporation), Wilmar International Limited (Shree Renuka Sugars Limited), Murugappa Group (EID Parry India Limited), and Louis Dreyfus Holding B.V. Over the medium term, the market is expected to grow in the region owing to the increasing demand for organic sugar because of its health benefits.
India Cane Sugar Market Leaders
DCM Shriram Consolidated Limited
Triveni Engineering & Industries Ltd (Ganga Sugar Corporation)
Wilmar International Limited (Shree Renuka Sugars Limited)
Murugappa Group (EID Parry India Limited)
Louis Dreyfus Holding B.V.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
India Cane Sugar Market News
- November 2021: DCM Shriram Ltd announced an investment of over INR 350 crore to expand the capacity of sugar mills. The company approved three investment proposals for the sugar business to capitalize on the increase in sugarcane availability in its catchment area, enhance the capacity for the production of refined sugar due to consumer preference, and build feedstock flexibility for its distilleries.
- September 2021: Murugappa Group's EID-Parry (India) announced that it would set up a grain/sugar syrup/molasses-based distillery with a capacity of 120 KL per day (KLPD) at its Sankili unit in Andhra Pradesh.
- March 2021: Dalmia Bharat Sugar & Industries Ltd. (DBSIL) announced the launch of packaged sugar under the brand name "Dalmia Utsav" to enter the B2C segment. DBSIL launched crystalline white sugar and brown sugar.
India Cane Sugar Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2.1 Crystallized Sugar
5.2.2 Liquid Syrup
5.3.1 Bakery and Confectionery
5.3.4 Other Applications
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Market Share Analysis
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Louis Dreyfus Holding B.V.
6.3.2 Wilmar International Limited (Shree Renuka Sugars Limited)
6.3.3 Balrampur Chini Mills Limited
6.3.4 DCM Shriram Consolidated Limited
6.3.5 Murugappa Group (EID Parry India Limited)
6.3.6 Mawana Sugars Limited
6.3.7 Bannari Amman Group
6.3.8 Dalmia Bharat Sugar & Industries Ltd.
6.3.9 Dhampur Sugar Mills Ltd.
6.3.10 Bajaj Group (Bajaj Hindusthan Sugar Ltd.)
6.3.11 Triveni Engineering & Industries Limited (Ganga Sugar Corporation)
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
India Cane Sugar Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The India Cane Sugar Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of India Cane Sugar Market?
The India Cane Sugar Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.2% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in India Cane Sugar Market?
DCM Shriram Consolidated Limited, Triveni Engineering & Industries Ltd (Ganga Sugar Corporation), Wilmar International Limited (Shree Renuka Sugars Limited), Murugappa Group (EID Parry India Limited), Louis Dreyfus Holding B.V. are the major companies operating in India Cane Sugar Market.
India Cane Sugar Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 India Cane Sugar market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. India Cane Sugar analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.