High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 2.52 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 7.95 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Market Analysis
The High Bandwidth Memory Market size is estimated at USD 2.52 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 7.95 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 25.86% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
Major factors driving the growth of the high bandwidth memory (HBM) market include the growing need for high-bandwidth, low power consumption, and highly scalable memories, increasing adoption of artificial intelligence, and a rising trend of miniaturization of electronic devices.
- High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) is a high-speed computer memory interface for 3D-stacked SDRAM, usually used with high-performance graphics accelerators, network devices, and supercomputers.
- By stacking up to 8 DRAM dies on the circuit and interconnecting them by TSVs, HBM offers a substantially higher bandwidth while using less power in a relatively more minor form factor. Also, with 128-bit channels and a total of 8 channels, the HBM offers a 1024-bit interface; a GPU with four HBM stacks would therefore provide a memory bus with 4096 bits.
- With the growing graphics application, the appetite for fast information delivery (bandwidth) has also increased. Therefore HBM memory performs better than a GDDR5, which was used earlier in terms of performance and power efficiency, resulting in growth opportunities for the high bandwidth memory market.
- Moreover, the major semiconductor vendors are working with reduced capacity owing to the spread of COVID-19 worldwide. Additionally, due to the shortage of laborers, many packages and testing plants in China reduced or even stopped operations. This created a bottleneck for chip companies that rely on such back-end packages and testing capacity.
- However, some factors driving the market's growth include the increasing adoption of artificial intelligence, increasing demand for low power consumption, high bandwidth, highly scalable memories, and a rising trend of miniaturization of electronic devices.
High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Market Trends
Automotive and Other Applications Segment is Expected to Grow Significantly
- The applications of high bandwidth memory are spanning in the automotive sector due to the rise of self-driving cars and ADAS integration, among others. The advancement in the automotive industry has driven the adoption of high-performance memory, which supports the growth of high-bandwidth memory.
- HBM has evolved by improving upon conventional DRAM using 2.5D technology, bringing it closer to the CPU while requiring less power to drive a signal and minimizing RC latency. The autonomous driving market is expanding, extensively using data sets to interpret and analyze the environment. To prevent mishaps and impending catastrophes, data processing is carried out at a very rapid pace. The demand for quick and potent GPUs has increased the demand for high-bandwidth memory to be included in the systems.
- Advanced driver-assistance technologies have become quite popular in the car industry alongside autonomous driving. Earlier ADAS designs use memory chips like DDR4 and LPDDR4 since they were readily available at the time. However, the automobile industry's transition from cost-effectiveness to better performance parameters pushes ADAS makers to incorporate HBM technology into their design architecture.
- The rapid advancement of technology in automobiles and increasing usage of edge technologies in cars will boost the sales of High Bandwidth Memory and DDRAM in the sector.
North America to Hold the Largest Share in the Market
- The high adoption of HBM memories in North America is primarily due to the growth in high-performance computing (HPC) applications that require high-bandwidth memory solutions for fast data processing. HPC demand in North America is growing due to the increasing market for AI, machine learning, and cloud computing.
- The rapidly changing technologies and high data generation across industries create a need for more efficient processing systems. These are also some of the factors driving the demand for the high bandwidth memory market in the region.
- Additionally, the US government has started the Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI) to deliver better services to the public while increasing return on investment to taxpayers by consolidating many data centers in the country. The consolidation process includes the process of building hyper-scale data centers and shut-off the underperforming ones. According to Cloudscene, the country has around 2,701 data centers in the United States as of January 2022.
- Moreover, memory manufacturing companies in North America seek production expansions opportunities. For instance, Intel announced the launch of the next generation Sapphire Rapids (SPR) Xeon Scalable processor with high-bandwidth memory (HBM). DDR5, supported by Sapphire Rapids, is expected to replace DDR4, the current trend in server memory, with high-bandwidth memory (HBM) support that significantly expands the memory bandwidth available to the CPU.
High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Industry Overview
The high bandwidth memory market is highly fragmented as the market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. This industry's competitive rivalry primarily depends on sustainable competitive advantage through innovation, market penetration, and competitive strategy power. Since the market is capital-intensive, the barriers to exit are also high. Some of the key players in the market are Intel Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, Fujitsu Ltd, etc. Some of the key recent developments in the market are -
- February 2022 - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. announced the acquisition of Xilinx. The company expects the purchase to boost non-GAAP margins, non-GAAP EPS, and free cash flow generation in the first year. Furthermore, AMD claims that the Xilinx acquisition brings together a highly complementary collection of products, customers, and markets, as well as differentiated IP and world-class personnel, to build the industry's high-performance and adaptive computing organization.
- November 2022 - Two cutting-edge solutions for high-performance computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI) have been released by Intel Corporation as part of the Intel Max Series product family: the Intel Xeon CPU Max Series (code-named Sapphire Rapids HBM) and the Intel Data Centre GPU Max Series (code-named Ponte Vecchio). The new items will power the forthcoming Aurora supercomputer at Argonne National Laboratory.
High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Market Leaders
Micron Technology, Inc.
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
SK Hynix Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Market News
- April 2023 - SK Hynix announced the development of a 12-layer HBM3 and offered samples to clients such as AMD. The most recent model showcases the company's technical superiority in the market by providing an industry-leading 24 GB memory capacity in packaging the same size as its predecessor.
- January 2022 - The JEDEC Solid State Technology Association released JESD238 HBM3, the latest version of its High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) DRAM standard, which may be downloaded from the JEDEC website. HBM3 is an innovative approach to increasing the data processing rate used in applications such as graphics processing and high-performance computing and servers where higher bandwidth, lower power consumption, and capacity per area are critical to a solution's market success.
High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Growing Need for High-bandwidth, Low Power Consuming, and Highly Scalable Memories
4.5.2 Increasing Adoption of Artificial Intelligence
4.5.3 Rising Trend of Miniaturization of Electronic Devices
4.6 Market Challenges
4.6.1 Exorbitant Costs and Design Complexities associated with HBM
4.7 DRAM MARKET
4.7.1 DRAM Revenue and Demand Forecast (2023-2028)
4.7.2 DRAM Revenue by Geography (Same geographical regions as in the HBM Market)
4.7.3 Current Pricing of DDR5 RAM Products
4.7.4 List of DDR5 Product Manufacturers
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Application
5.1.4 Automotive and Other Applications
5.2 By Geography
5.2.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.2.3 Asia Pacific
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.2.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Key HBM Memory Die Suppliers
126.96.36.199 Micron Technology Inc.
188.8.131.52 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
184.108.40.206 SK Hynix Inc.
6.1.2 Key Stakeholders Profiles
220.127.116.11 Intel Corporation
18.104.22.168 Fujitsu Limited
22.214.171.124 Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
126.96.36.199 Xilinx Inc.
188.8.131.52 Nvidia Corporation
184.108.40.206 Open Silicon Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) Market Research FAQs
How big is the High Bandwidth Memory Market?
The High Bandwidth Memory Market size is expected to reach USD 2.52 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 25.86% to reach USD 7.95 billion by 2029.
What is the current High Bandwidth Memory Market size?
In 2024, the High Bandwidth Memory Market size is expected to reach USD 2.52 billion.
Who are the key players in High Bandwidth Memory Market?
Micron Technology, Inc., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., SK Hynix Inc., Intel Corporation and Fujitsu Limited are the major companies operating in the High Bandwidth Memory Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in High Bandwidth Memory Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in High Bandwidth Memory Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in High Bandwidth Memory Market.
What years does this High Bandwidth Memory Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the High Bandwidth Memory Market size was estimated at USD 2.00 billion. The report covers the High Bandwidth Memory Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the High Bandwidth Memory Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
HBM Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 HBM market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. HBM analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.