2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Grease Market was valued at 1,308.51 kilotons in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 1.5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The major grease-consuming industries, like automotive, industrial processing (majorly steel mills), aerospace, and food and beverages, were greatly impacted by the COVID-19. Especially, the steel industry was majorly affected by the pandemic. Steel production witnessed a decline in 2020 due to the production halts and decreased demand from various end-user industries because of the COVID-19 crisis. The steel demand is contracted by an estimated 6.4%, dropping to 1,654 million metric tons, according to the World Steel Association.
- In the short term, factors such as the growing manufacturing sector growing industrial sector in Asia-Pacific, and increasing adoption of higher performance greases in the wind power and electric vehicle industries are likely to drive the market growth.
- Automotive and the transportation segment is the dominating end-user industry for grease. Whereas, consumption of grease in chemical manufacturing is expected to register the highest CAGR through the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the grease market followed by North America and Europe across the globe with the largest consumption from countries, such as China, India, United States, and Germany, among others.
Scope of the Report
The global grease market is segmented based on thickener, end-user industry, and region. By thickener, the market is segmented into metal soap and other thickeners. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into power generation, automotive and other transportation, heavy equipment, food and beverage, metallurgy and metalworking, chemical manufacturing, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the grease market in 32 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilotons).
|Automotive and Other Transportation|
|Food and Beverage|
|Metallurgy and Metalw orking|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Automotive & Other Transportation to Dominate the Market
- The demand from the automotive sector contributes significantly to the global grease market. The growing OEM and RMO markets in the automotive industry are expected to have a direct impact on the demand for greases during the forecast period.
- According to the National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI), NLGI 2 grade grease is widely preferred for automotive applications.
- Automotive greases are used to lubricate the chassis, suspension, and steering. Additionally, automotive greases can be classified on the basis of their GC and LB ratings. GC rating can be employed for lubrication of axle and wheel, whereas LB can be used for lubrication of different types of joints, including U-joints and ball joints, tie-rod ends, and control arm-shafts.
- The automotive is the largest and fastest-growing end-use industry for grease. Passenger and commercial vehicles are driving the demand for high-performance grease in the automotive industry.
- In the automotive industry, grease is used in various auto parts, such as wheel bearings, universal joints, suspensions, gears, switches, and connectors, because of their properties (which include mechanical stability, temperature tolerance, water resistance, and anti-oxidants). The need for high-performance grease is increasing, with the manufacture of machines and equipment for end-user industries.
- The growing passenger volumes are expected to drive the need for 44,040 new jets (valued USD 6.8 trillion) over the next two decades. The global commercial fleet is projected to reach 50,660 airplanes by 2038, with all the new airplanes and the jets that would remain in service taken into account.
- Owing to all teh above-mentioned factors, the market is expected to grow at a slow pace during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific was found to be the major market for the consumption of grease followed by North America and Europe. China, India, and Indonesia are expected to be leading countries witnessing strong demand for grease consumption during the forecast period.
- China is the largest consumer of lubricants and greases in the current scenario. The vast manufacturing activities pertaining to different sectors and the rapid growth in the industrial and automotive sectors have pushed the country to stand among the major consumers and grease producers in the global landscape.
- Although China was the first country affected by COVID-19 and its related lockdown, it was the first country to come out of the lockdown. However, the country has been witnessing recurring cases of COVID-19, leading to brief lockdowns occasionally. The manufacturing sector in the country has taken a major hit in Q1 2020, subsequently leading to a 6.8% drop in GDP, the lowest ever witnessed in years.
- However, the country has been focusing on several measures, such as tax breaks and other incentives to enhance economic recovery. In Q2 2020, China’s GDP has recorded a growth rate of 3.2%, indicating signs of a V-shaped recovery. Despite lower levels of activity in certain service sectors, industrial production rates have been growing steadily, which is a positive sign for lubricant companies in the region.
- Automotive production, off-highway equipment, and steel are the major consumers of grease in the country.
- The aforementioned factors are contributing to the increasing demand for grease consumption in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The grease market is highly fragmented with the top five players accounting for about 20-30% of the market. The major companies include Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Exxon Mobil Corporation, BP Plc (Castrol), FUCHS, Axel Christiernsson, and China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec), among others.
- In February 2020, GP Global, an UAE-based lubricants manufacturer announced its plans to invest USD 14 million in building a greenfield lubricant blending plant in western India which will produce grease, lubricants, and white oil.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Industrial Sector in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Increasing Adoption of Higher Performance Greases in the Wind Power and Electrical Vehicle Industries
4.2.1 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.2.2 Declining Global Automotive Industry
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1.1 Metal Soaps
5.1.2 Other Thickeners
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Power Generation
5.2.2 Automotive and Other Transportation
5.2.3 Heavy Equipment
5.2.4 Food and Beverage
5.2.5 Metallurgy and Metalw orking
5.2.6 Chemical Manufacturing
5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 United Arab Emirates
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Axel Christiernsson
6.4.2 BECHEM Lubrication Technology, LLC
6.4.3 Calumet Branded Products, LLC
6.4.4 BP PLC (Castrol)
6.4.5 Chevron Corporation
6.4.7 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.4.9 Gazpromneft - Lubricants, Ltd.
6.4.10 JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
6.4.11 Kluber Lubrication
6.4.12 Jiangsu Lopal Tech Co. Ltd
6.4.14 Orlen Oil
6.4.15 Penrite Oil
6.4.17 Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS)
6.4.18 Suncor Energy Inc (Petro-Canada)
6.4.19 Royal Dutch Shell Plc
6.4.20 China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec)
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Technology Advancement and Product Innovation
7.2 Gaining Prominence for Polyurea Greases
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Grease Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Grease Market?
The Grease Market is growing at a CAGR of >1.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Grease Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Grease Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Grease Market?
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- BP Plc (Castrol)
- Axel Christiernsson
Are the major companies operating in Grease Market.